“Perfect hosts, glorious beaches... and sea turtles.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Culebra
Mango Fish Guesthouse
Ranked #5 of 19 Culebra B&B and Inns
Brooklyn, New York
“Perfect hosts, glorious beaches... and sea turtles.”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We stayed in Fred and Lori's casita, and we could not have asked for more. They are the perfect, kindest hosts and the island itself is an absolute jewel. There's a number of beaches to choose from, and each is just as beautiful as the next. The water is crystal clear, and the snorkeling was so much fun... and yes, we swam with sea turtles. While Culebra is not for the big, fancy "resort/gambling" lovers... it is for anyone looking to unwind, swim, read and absorb warm breezes and friendly people. We missed Fred and Lori as soon as we left.

3 Thank BrooklynEscape

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Virginia
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Stayed in the Palmetto room underneath the main house. Easy walk from the airport, (Lori met me) and then later Fred took me on a tour of the island. I liked that I had privacy. I loved the decor and the bedding and bath. I would recommend adding a plastic plate to the dishes (and maybe a cutting board) so that you can make a sandwich. The room comes with a coffeemaker and a fridge. I stayed as a single female and did not rent a car or golf cart. I walked and was quite comfortable by myself. Lori had a lot of good restaurant suggestions and I would not hesitate to stay here again. Despite other comments, this was a quality stay. Maybe not as fancy or as geared for tourists, but if you need a place to stay and a few recommendations but otherwise want to do your own thing, this is the place. It's not advertised as a B&B so don't think room service or food. This is do it yourself. But, it's comfortable, clean, convenient and I didn't want for anything. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank missiona
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Fred and Lori were amazing hosts, really making us feel home on the island! They have a real sense of local culture, are really involved in the community, and Fred does a great tour to introduce people to the island!

The accommodation was clean private, and had all the necessary amenities for a week stay, including beach gear which we would of had to rent otherwise. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We really enjoyed our stay in Culebra. WE stayed in the guesthouse which is in a great location. Fred picked us up and gave us a tour with lots of helpful information and recommendations...not too much though :) The airport is very close to the house and so is the grocery store. We didn't use kitchenette too much beyond fridge and coffee maker. You have to use sink in bathroom to get H20. We walked to almost all of our meals and really liked the central location...quiet enough but right in town. Lori and Fred are very involved in the community and staying at Mango Fish gives makes you feel more involved in the culture and state of mind of the town. It isn't full of tourists which is why we chose it. The bed was very comfortable and room very peaceful. AC available but not needed at all. Multiple cosmetics were helpful to have since you have to pack light. Lori provided excellent communication throughout our stay, before and after.

2 Thank georgiamccune
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I stayed here with my boyfriend and we had a wonderful time. The rooms were clean and nice; they were the perfect place to sleep after spending all day outside. Fred and Lori are lovely people; they don't intrude on your privacy but make themselves very available for any of your needs. The tour Fred gives you at the beginning of your trip is really helpful to orient yourself around the island.

One warning: the ferry ride on the way over is slightly nightmarish. Take travel sickness pills, even if you don't usually get sea-sick... seriously.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank OhJayCee
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 February 2014

After reading all the great reviews we decided to stay here. Overall it was decent but nothing to write home about. Fred and Lori are nice and generally stay out of your way. Fred gives his tour of the island which can be beneficial.

We stayed in the bigger suite in the back which is great for privacy since its not attached to their house. It has one full bedroom and a sitting room that has pull out bed. Lori accidently charged us for an extra person but kindly refunded the money later.

You can read the good points in the other review so I will touch on what we didn't like:

No room service (maybe its typical for B&B types but how about some coffee or even milk?

Early check-out: 10AM. Seriously? Kept reminidng us of the check-out time.

Overall I wouldn't stay here again. Spend the extra money and stay in the seabreexe where most of the tourists stay. These guesthouses make you feel secluded from rest of the tourists I feel, especially since there's not much to do in Culebra anyway honestly.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank KamAli06
MangoFishGuesthouse, Owner at Mango Fish Guesthouse, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
It seems to us that we are the victims of your overall dissatisfaction and displeasure with Culebra. All of your negative comments are simply untrue, and we have information from you that demonstrates these untruths. First and foremost, we run a very honest establishment. Your claim that we accidentally charged you for a third person is entirely wrong, as dated in your 12/23/2013 email to me:
to:
 Lori Novis <lanovis66@gmail.com>
date:
 Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Hi Lori,
We will take the casita :)
Yes 2 beds should be good. Total guest is 3 people.

When you first arrived to our guest house, I asked you where the third guest was. You said they weren't coming (you didn't mention in your review of us that, indeed, there were 3 sets of bath and beach linens, 1 for each guest). I immediately mentioned that I thought I charged you for 3 guests, would check, and corrected your balance due (I did not refund your money as I did not need to since you did not pay the full amount up front; I simply charged you less for the balance due).

Your second statement of our B & B not offering coffee or milk is also wholly untrue. We are not a B & B, nor do we advertise ourselves as such. We are listed under the B&B/Inns tab on TripAdvisor, and fall under the category of an inn. More importantly for future guests, we do provide fresh and free Puerto Rican coffee, tea, sugar, and coffee filters in the casita and in the Palometa guest room. All of these were available to you in the casita. Incidentally, your friend came and asked for some milk for tea that evening, and we hospitably gave him some.

Regarding check out time -- check out time is posted on the living room door, and is noted on our website. We believe this to be a fair and standard check out time. According to my texts to you, at 9:19 a.m., on the morning of your check out, I texted you to remind you that check out was at 10:00 a.m. Your comment was: We just woke up. We will need a lil longer to check out please. I responded: We'd appreciate it if you'll be cleared by 10:15. This light interaction doesn't warrant the following statement by you -- "kept reminding us about check out". In the meantime, our cleaning personnel had arrived on site, and was not able to enter the casita until 10:25 a.m. You entered a clean and tidy casita, and the next guest deserves the same. What you didn't mention is this -- that we checked you in early! We have one of the earlier check in times on the island. This was a courtesy we provided to you.

Most of Culebra's guests do not stay in the Seabreeze Hotel (formerly Costa Bonita); check out their reviews on TripAdvisor. As a Culebra resident, we hope that all businesses thrive and succeed. However, Seabreeze Hotel was a boondoggle from the beginning, and I have witnessed overflowing sewage in their restaurant bathrooms. Little Culebra's infrastructure simply can't handle a mixed-housing development such as this. Seabreeze has been under several management teams, and has filed for bankruptcy many times. But it is your prerogative to stay there if you return to Culebra. If you wanted to mingle with tourists, there are lots of places to do that: El Batey, Dingy Dock, Bahia Marina, The Sandbar, Heather's, The Spot, Zaco's Tacos ... on and on.

Lastly, all guidebooks, and electronic media will tell you that Culebra is a sleepy island, a place to unwind, relax, and take in all of its natural beauty. It seems to us that you chose the wrong destination for your vacation due to too little research, and that is too bad, since we were the target of your displeasure.
Minnesota
Reviewed 20 February 2014

When we arrived Fred picked us up at the little airport and gave us a tour of the island. It was a nice intro to everything that they have to offer. We met Lori towards the end of our stay as she was stateside. Both are very nice.

We didn't stay in the guest house that has a kitchen, but rather the bedroom that is below their house with our own bathroom. The room was larger than I expected. It had everything we needed with a little fridge, coffee maker. It has AC, a nice shower with warm water. They had a little cooler for us to use, beach chairs and beach towels. There are lots of books in this room so you might even find something you want to read on the beach. The room has a very comfy king size bed. We saw no uninvited guests in our room at all (bugs, lizards). Mango Fish is a very short walk to the most reliable grocery store on the island (this one is open when they say it is.) You can walk to Flamenco Beach but we chose to rent a jeep to explore the island more. You can literally walk across the street and up the block to Mango Fish from the airport. We also walked into town for dinner as it was about 15 minutes and nice to get a little exercise. I would absolutely go back to this island and stay here again.
There isn't daily cleaning in the room like a hotel. It's your place for your stay so don't be messy!

2 Thank Travel17_2004
Also consider these accommodations in or near Culebra
Club Seabourne
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Bravo Beach Hotel
Bravo Beach Hotel
#4 of 6 in Isla de Vieques

Been to Mango Fish Guesthouse? Share your experiences!