“The Lobster House restaurant”
Review of Sea Breeze Hotel

Sea Breeze Hotel
Reviewed 27 December 2013

we did not stay at this hotel however we did go to eat at their restaurant. once we arrived at the restaurant the server greeted us by saying "you can seat if you want but i am all alone". we sat down since we were told it was so nice and good. After waiting an hour and 40 minutes for our food, each plate came out separately and the system was not working when we wanted to pay.
Not good!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sheila M

Reviewed 20 December 2013

If you like "rustic" accommodations, "camaraderie" with your neighbors, the thrill of driving obstacle courses littered with cars, boulders and potholes, and a basic "dog eat dog (chicken)" experience, then this is the place for you. Oh, and don't forget about the very welcoming Carlos! He doesn't get to the front desk much but you can find him chugging beers at the ferry landing with the young women who disembark.
This place was truly an experience, and one I would recommend that NO ONE repeat! The ferry was delayed several hours and we arrived late on a Wednesday. Carlos did show up at the desk that night (we were prepaid, so he had to!) but the only room available had no working TV. We were tired so took it. He didn't mention that it had not been cleaned! There were "clean" sheets, but no blankets! Note: Blankets apparently are provided at the discretion of unit owners, and can be purchased for $29.99 in the (dirty) gift shop. But, think ahead, the shop is open only occasionally.
An injured cat slept on the balcony furniture. We realized the next day why he slept there...Hundreds of roaming chickens, roosters with evil spurs, peacocks and hens, and dogs everywhere.
We requested a clean room, and were assigned one LATE in the evening the next day. Carlos did tell us we would get a $100 credit, but never made good on that promise.We were offered NO help in moving our belongings up the steep hill to the netherworld up there.
This is where the original resort concept of this complex fell apart. These hillside units are obviously occupied by permanent residents, whose belongings litter the lawns, who provide ambient background noise, and whose dogs provide carnivore "entertainment."
This room still had no working lamps, and sheets too small for the beds. The TV worked, but,
I guess someone forgot that maybe some of us don't speak Spanish because the Direct TV offerings did not include English shows.
I have included pictures of the attractive landscaping, including too many cars (no designated parking), numerous uncovered trash cans that attracted cats (see photo), Structural components of the buildings sticking out of the ground, and of course, the results of the HUNT.
Early one morning watched 2 very large dogs roaming the grounds, chasing something around the cars. After hearing loud squawking, I found the dogs behind a neighboring building, ripping the chicken apart.
This was our second visit to Culebra, a very favorite spot for us. Next time, I think even camping would be preferable to the Sea Breeze Hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank LADB
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 days. Rooms are comfy and the grounds and pool are very pretty and well kept... but... The rooms are not cleaned before your arrival so the have bugs and dirt on the floor. The floor was full of sand and little bugs. They do have a little kitchenette thats very handy. The restaurant is sooo expensive for what it is! Pool bar is ok I guess. Parking is a little bit of a pain. Oh and bring loots of bug repellent!

Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

Better than the place we stayed at in Isla Verde but still not great and way over priced. We stayed here for one night and paid over $200. The website doesn't give you any real information since the place looks like a resort and they fail to mention that all the amenities are closed half the time. The pool is decent and the grounds are beautiful with great views but unfortunately that's it. The customer service made me cringe even though I was trying to be opened minded about that issue during our stay, having read so many mixed reviews about service in Puerto Rico. Here's the recap. We checked in shortly after 4 and were told that they "don't have housekeeping" so we better not put our towels on the floor and that we "can't take the towels out of the room for no reason." If we want to go to the pool, bring our id or room key to exchange for towels and they will give them back when we return the towels. Ok, not a problem with the policy but it was the way it was said, being talked to like we were children at check in should have been a warning sign. The welcome was not warm with an emphasis on what we under no circumstances should NOT do. I chalked it up to culture and language difference, assuming the intent was not to give such a terrible welcome. Then again though, she was smug and demeaning and the person with her barely glanced at us over his cell phone. She drove us to our room which was nice because it was up a hill. We got into the room and were initially pretty happy since it was very comfortable and somewhat modern with a kitchenette and microwave. It was a little dirty and worn, there was only a sheet for the bed, the ac and tv were on and it overlooked the bay, which was beautiful. We changed and washed some of our clothes in the sink, then hiked back to the main building to use the pool. We came as directed to the lobby with our key and were told they didn't have any towels but they would bring us one in a little bit, down by the pool. That's acceptable, no big deal but the towels never came and when we asked about the bar, which should have been open according to it's posted hours, were told it was closed. Also closed was the store and pool bar/snack bar. It honestly didn't bother me that much but it was the attitude of the staff, they clearly didn't feel the need to apologize for any of it and told us these things like it was either funny or intentional. What about buying something to drink or getting a bottle of water? Again told no with a smirk. The male finally disrupts his game on his cell phone and without glancing up, tells her to get us a cup of water (I could see the cooler the entire time) which she RELUCTANTLY did. You don't need to understand Spanish to feel that indistinguishable reluctance and unwillingness to help! Now I'm pretty ticked off, this place is four times the price of the hostal we passed at the dock and that owner was super nice and accommodating. Yes, I know the difference in the rooms, but I would have happily stayed in a rustic basic room than at an empty resort that clearly dislikes their guests for any price, let alone a four to one savings. Moving on, the pool was deserted (this was fine for us) and nothing was open for another two hours. We decided to skip the restaurant and headed to town for dinner. When we returned, we discovered the sheets were dirty and wrinkled and the resort suddenly had a lot of guests (or permanent residents), mostly Puerto Rican. This was comforting because maybe it's better when they are busier but we didn't stay another night to find out, in fact, we made arrangements to leave at 8 am the next morning. The worst part about this place is how far it is from town and anything that you'd want to do on the island. The publico goes there for about $5 or $7 a person so we just asked them to return for us the next day. Bottom line, expensive and overpriced for what you get but we did sleep comfortably and were able to shower with hot water.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wantsgoodservice
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

I booked a junior suite at this hotel for a romantic getaway weekend. It didn't exceed my expectations, but we had a great time.

The hotel is about 15 minutes away from the ferry terminal, airport and Flamenco beach. Since we brought out car, this wasn't an issue. The entrance road does need paving because it's full of craters!

You should all note that Front Desk operates from 9AM to 9PM so if you arrive early like I did, you might need to wait.

Our room had a fantastic view, I have to admit it! It was very spacious, it had a kitchen with small fridge and microwave and a huge bathroom. The bed was nice too, but I'd bring my own sheets and pillows because the ones provided were really low quality. Also, be prepared to find bugs around the room. I mean, you're in an island. It had a nice balcony with chairs and a table where I prepared a nice romantic dinner.

The pool area was nice, it's big. But the jacuzzi is cold unfortunately. There's a bar right at the pool.

Overall, this hotel has the potential to be great! But it needs to be taken care of! I didn't except much. It was a fair price but I'd love to return to a much better place next time.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here at the weekend. Way overpriced!! At that rate we expected comfort. The room smelled of sewage, old tatty furniture, all the lamps were broken ( reception informed us that they were only for 'decoration') and the staff were rude and unhelpful. When we complained, they shrugged, totally non plus send, no refund and didn't care. Manager Carlos Munoz should be ashamed charging people such high prices for such shockingly bad standards. Do not stay here. So disappointing on every level

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Rubyruth49
Reviewed 29 October 2013

This place gave us a dirty room that wasn't even prepared. Used sheets, hair on the bed and pillows ( I shave my head) shower had a ring around it. Window was broken so bugs got in, had a funky smell, no safe in the room, no food till after 630pm, and they overcharge for there jeep rental ( use Jerry's jeep rental ). Worst hotel stay I have ever had and the worst part is it was my honeymoon. My new bride was almost in tears. We paid for 3 days, & 2 nights but we left the following morning to Club Seabourne. Never again. I'm staying on the mainland next time and just flying in for the day.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Pompa13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Culebra
Club Seabourne
#10 of 20 in Culebra
Casa Robinson
Casa Robinson
#6 of 20 in Culebra

Been to Sea Breeze Hotel? Share your experiences!