“Wonderful guest house!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Casita Tropical

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Culebra
Casita Tropical
Ranked #3 of 19 Culebra B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Wonderful guest house!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

My fiancé and I spent 3 nights in a "Small Efficiency" room at Casita Tropical and I didn't want to leave! It was such a wonderful place to return to after a long day at the beach. I especially loved the hammock and small kitchen in the patio area. At first, it may seem to be located far away from everything, but really, as long as you rent a car or golf cart (highly recommended), it's more than fine. I actually enjoyed staying further away from the downtown area as it gave me more of an island getaway feel.

Molly, the owner of the guest house, is one of the most darling, kind and helpful persons I've ever met. She doesn't know, but I've secretly adopted her as my Puerto Rico Aunt ;P Her dog Sophie is a really entertaining and clever dog full of character too (I love dogs). Going back to Molly - she's always ready to help as much as she can. She even took my fiancé & I, along with some other guests, out one morning to go snorkeling with turtles!! Usually you have to pay $35 (I think) for these kind of tours!

Overall, I just really loved how Casita Tropical and Molly provided us with everything we needed - a wonderful accommodation, small kitchen, small fridge, TV, shampoo & body wash, towels, beach towels, a nice bed sheet to bring and spread onto the beach, lots of different types of beach toys (boogie boards, noodles, snorkel stuff, etc), and whatever else you need, you just have to ask Molly and she'd try her best to help and provide. As someone who's stayed in many hostels and guest houses, this has definitely been one of the best experiences and if I ever go back to Culebra, I'll definitely be going back to Molly :)

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Morgantown, Wv
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

Casita Tropical is located in a residential neighborhood behind the airstrip. At first we thought this might not be convenient, but it was actually closer to the best beaches and snorkel spots than staying right in town. If you are planning to rent a vehicle or bike, then everything is really close anyway; the town (Dewey) itself is tiny and there's no particular benefit to staying right there. We stayed in a room off of the patio that had a king bed and a set of bunk beds. It was large and just what I would expect from a basic beach cottage kind of place. Inexpensive and not luxurious but more than adequate with toaster oven, microwave, hot plate and coffee maker. The kitchen sink was just outside the door on the patio. What is really convenient, is that you don't have to pack much in the way of beach supplies. Molly graciously furnishes snorkeling gear, beach towels, chairs, coolers, an umbrella and just about anything else you could need. Her knowledge of the area and best snorkeling spots saved us the $ of needing to hire a guide or go on a tour. Molly really couldn't do more to help her guests get the most out of their visit.

If you are looking for a posh, luxury experience then this is not the place for you - in fact Culebra is probably not the destination for you. What is astonishing about Culebra, is that it is still easy to have a very secluded experience on some of the most exquisite beaches and reefs in the world - if you listen to Molly and time your activities right. Casita Tropical makes you feel almost like a local, with a cat and dog running around, and hearing all activity of the neighbors. Yes there are roosters crowing all night long - but that is everywhere on Culebra. If you have the right attitude and want to be a part of the local expat and resident culture, then these things really aren't a bother and you will love it.

Room Tip: Be aware if you arrive on a Sunday afternoon, the grocery stores will be closed and it will be hard...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Sunster1
hayward
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

From all the good reviews we were excited to stay at Casita Tropical. This was not a good experience for us. The property was run down and the neighborhood was very noisy. I would not recommend this to a friend.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank banks449
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

This February I had the good fortune to be able to return to Culebra for vacation along with my husband and friends. Our stay at Casita Tropical was most enjoyable and memorable mainly because Molly goes out of her way to make sure your experience includes the best that this island has to offer. We plan to travel to Culebra again next year & stay at Casita Tropical for another memory maker!&

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Twin Cities
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

We arrived on Thursday afternoon by ferry for our very first trip to the island. Once we arrived at Culebra's port, there were taxis available to take you wherever you wanted to go, but Molly was kind enough to pick us up. Upon arriving at Casita Tropical, we found it to be very clean and cozy with everything you would need for a comfortable stay and much more. Molly's warm, friendly hospitality is unmatched - from her extensive knowledge of the island, to the best places to eat, the most ideal spots to snorkel(including free use of her snorkel gear), and the perfect places to view the amazing sunsets. While we were there, one of her guests had a birthday, so Molly made a delicious pineapple upside down cake for everyone to enjoy=] Some of our favorite places to eat were Zaco Tacos, The Dinghy Dock, Barbara's, and Heather's(great pizza!). Every day was largely spent at Flamenco beach soaking up the sun and the area's stunning natural beauty - there's a reason this beach is rated one of THE most beautiful in the
world!!! We will definitely be back to Culebra and would not consider staying anywhere else except Casita Tropical! SO difficult leaving paradise after our week stay, but look forward to returning ASAP. Also, had a wonderful flight from Culebra to San Juan - the views from the plane were spectacular. Thank you again, Molly.....you're THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2014
Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

We really enjoyed staying at Molly's Casita Tropical for six nights. She is an extraordinarily open and friendly hostess, and a snorkeller extraordinaire. She also knows everything about the island.

We particularly liked the casual atmosphere of the place. We enjoyed the pets running around. It's a basic cottage-like accommodation with older stuff, but everything worked well. Very clean. Plenty of towels. Good airco. Good TV with lots of American stations. Hot high pressure shower. Small kitchenette. Hot plate. Fridge. Coffee maker (taking ground coffee). Large screened patio area (for the small efficiencies) with table and good hammock. Molly gives the place a tot of TLC and it shows.

Plenty of parking. Small above-ground pool was nice, as was the outdoor shower and the wet area to dry our stuff.

I am really quite grateful for the time Molly took from her obviously very busy schedule to help us when we first arrived. This little bit of orientation made all the difference.

There is a free (but basic) gym in the rec centre, just pass the school, about 1200 m from the hotel. Open 7:00 to 19:00.

We found affordable dining on the island to be a problem. Talk to Molly about that when you arrive. There's a charcoal BBQ on site that you can use if you want.

Molly, we did check out the museum on our last day. Thanks for telling us about it.

A point about the location: TripAdvisor's map currently has this accommodation at the wrong location. Contrary to what is shown on the TA map, Casita Tropical is in the residential area right behind the airport, not near the port area where the restaurants are.

This link should show you where it actually is: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=culebra&hl=en&ll=18.314387,-65.30204&spn=0.001757,0.003098&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=47.704107,101.513672&t=h&hnear=Culebra,+Puerto+Rico&z=19

I only mention this because my original plan was to stay near the port and get around the island without renting a vehicle. I chose this accommodation partly because the TA map location led me to believe it was close to the port/restaurant area.

If you stay at Casita Tropical you more or less will have to rent a golf cart or car, which is at least $52 a day with insurance. This was not a problem, once we got over the surprise of the unexpected additional expense.

I'm glad now that this situation forced us to rent a vehicle. It's not all that expensive, and it allowed us to enjoy the island more. We drove everywhere during our week there, and the gas only cost us $20. Riding the golf cart was fun and helped make the trip what it was.

You have the view and usual sounds of a residential Puerto Rico neighbourhood at night (including crowing chickens, barking dogs and the occasional radio), but it didn't bother us at all.

Room Tip: The small efficiencies are close together and share a patio and kitchen area. If complete privacy is...
3 Thank zwerf
Dallas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

My wife and I did a little get away to Culebra. Since there is no major commercial hotel development, we found this place and were very happy with it!

This is a placed owned by Molly, who if I recall is a former resident of Pennsylvania. She has been on the island for quite some time, and makes it a great stay. She is clear about her rules - no sand or smoking!

But this is a great central location especially if you fly into Culebra. You are right next to the airport, which amazingly enough was not really a disturbance factor to staying here. I guess you get used to the sound of the small planes taking off and landing. One thing we had an issue with are the sounds of the roosters on the island...they were crowing ALL night it seemed like.

One thing you will want to do is spend all of your time at or near the water - Flamenco and Tamarindo are your spots...Molly does a morning snorkel at Tamarindo and shows you were the turtles are, so you are in good company because she does a morning snorkel on a regular basis it sounds like. She also has beach chairs and ice chests for you to use while at the beach.

Now that I am writing about this experience, I am going to start planning my return trip and will definitely stay here if there is availability!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Culebra
Club Seabourne
#5 of 19 in Culebra
Mamacitas Guest House
Mamacitas Guest House
#14 of 19 in Culebra

Been to Casita Tropical? Share your experiences!