“First stay in Culebra, PR”

Palmetto Guesthouse
Ranked #4 of 19 Culebra B&B and Inns
Rincon, Puerto Rico
“First stay in Culebra, PR”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

For the price the stay was very good. We had refrigerators for each room, beach towels, cooler, and snorkeling gear and chairs as loan. A kitchen and all needed foe cooking and eat was available for all the five rooms. The rooms were clean and cozy.

We also have TV and DVDs, and a PC available for us. But no satellite TV.

We understand that more space for grocery for each room is necessary. And a better place to dry the bathing suites and towels is needed.

Room Tip: It is a guesthouse with no view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank jcardonapr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Ct., USA
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

On my second trip to Culebra we chose Palmetto House, practically two blocks from small airport. Susan, the owner, picked us up in her popular red truck. Room was small but normal and AC worked fine. Bathroom, towels, linens clean and plentiful. The muffins are still warm and all rooms have the fridge.
We walked to town (20 good minutes), which from my former posts (Florence, London,etc) you may know that I like to be in the center of things. So walk or take the 3 dollar taxi ride to anywhere. Towels, chairs, snorkeling gear available on loan. A good value for our Two night stay. Do dinner at Mamacitas or the Dinghy.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank MyrellaCt_USA
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 May 2014

This was my first time staying at this beautiful and cozy guesthouse. You feel just like home. It has a living room with awesome movies and a desktop computer with highspeed internet. The complementary authentic puertorican coffee is AMAZING. Loved the fresh baked muffins that Susan brings down every morning! The rooms are clean and smell fresh. Paul and Susan are very friendly and welcoming. I'll definitively plan to book at Palmetto on another summer vacation.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Delbert A
Randolph NY
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My wife and I stayed five nights in March-April. Our room was tight for two, though the bed was roomy. It's close to the airport but about a mile from the center of Dewey, where the restaurants are. Not an issue, since you'll want to rent a golf cart or Jeep in order to get to beaches other than Flamenco.
Everything very clean, lots of potted plants around the patio and a garden in the rear. Susan is very helpful and serves lovely baked goods every morning.
There's a public gym right across the street that hosted a boisterous volleyball game on our first night, but it was over by nine.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Dan45RandolphNY
Shoreview, Minnesota
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stayed at Palmetto back in January (okay, I'm a little late to the party) but for the price and location, it's a perfect place to stay. Our room was spotless and close to the airport and vehicle rental places. We discovered a grocery store and breakfast place (La Pista) that was better than anything else downtown. Paul and Susan are beyond charming and helpful. I love the decor, the dogs, the coffee, the scones. The free beach chairs and snorkel equipment was a great option, so was the outdoor shower and backyard garden. They have small refrigerators (our room came with one) and the kitchens (2) are well stocked at spotless. You can get pop and water for $1, too. Paul is a hoot and we had many a chat in the living room about the island and Puerto Rico in general. Susan is a sweetheart and goes out of her way to make you feel welcome. I loved staying there and would return in a heartbeat!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NortonsMom12345
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I'm late in writing this review, but the whole idea of Culebra is that things don't change very fast on the little island (thankfully!), so this is still relevant. My friend and I traveled to Culebra not really knowing what to expect since it's so tiny. Palmetto couldn't be easier to get to from the tiny air field, and it's a 10 minute walk to "town" - the very small main drag. The owners weren't there the week we were there, but a very nice young man - white, from the US, I forget his name - welcomed us showed us around, and was always helpful with recommendations about where to go and what restaurant was closed on what day. Everything was very friendly and accessible. We had 2 rooms - one of which was so small it was hilarious, the other was a tiny bit bigger - but it didn't matter how big our rooms were. The bathrooms worked and the back courtyard is very pretty. We made use of the communal internet/computer, which is a nice amenity to have, and the honor bar/fridge is also super convenient. Snorkel gear is available at all times.

You can walk to Flamenco Beach, which is 'the most popular on the island.' That makes it seem like it might be crowded or something - remember that nothing on Culebra is crowded! This is as delightfully tiny and quiet as you can get in the Caribbean for such wonderful prices. There is a campground adjoining Flamenco and food & bathrooms are available. I would highly recommend driving out and then taking a nice hike to Brava beach (Palmetto's manager drove us out to a spot where you have to hike from there on). It is, perhaps barring one Greek island, the most beautiful beach I have seen anywhere in the world. We were among 4 other people on the whole beach all day. We cut our own green coconuts (don't ask me how my friend did it without a machete, I really don't know) and had a delightful time hitching a ride back from the parking spot. The folks on Culebra are so awesome and friendly that they'll stop and help you out if you look like you don't know where you're going and your Spanish is limited. I had a lot of fun trying out my Spanish with our new friend (and older man). I think I said to him "You have electricity and weather! Thank you!" ;) There are several other beaches that are awesome as well - Zoni, Carlos Resario, and if you're a hiker, Resaca, to name a few.

Culebra is a truly magical place and Palmetto makes you feel like you're at home there and that you should never leave. Thank you Palmetto staff!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank fellowtraveler27
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

My husband and I spent few days at Palmetto in December.

The guest house is only a 5 minutes walk from the airport, 2/3 minutes walk to many car/golf cart rental agency and 10/15 minutes drive (in a golf cart) to both Flamenco beach and the "city centre".

The room we stayed in was super clean and so was the bathroom. We stayed in the smallest room and although some people might not like the size of the room, we found it perfect. Plenty of towels to use, a mini fridge and a cooler you can take to the beach with ice available to buy in the guesthouse. And fins and snorkel to borrow (great touch)

The bed was really comfortable and both the area and guesthouse are very quiet at night.

There are 2 shared kitchen with all the utensils you might need, an outdoor shower and a shared sitting area (great for chatting with the owners and fellow travellers!)

Last but not least, the owners! An amazing couple with incredible stories. They make you feel at home from the minute you arrive. I so wished we had stayed longer to be able to spend more time with them.

I would definitely recommend Palmetto to anyone!

Paul, Susan, tanisdiymiza cok sevindim. Umarim yine gorusuruz!

Zerin and Chris

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank zerin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Culebra
Club Seabourne
#6 of 19 in Culebra
Mamacitas Guest House
Mamacitas Guest House
#10 of 19 in Culebra

Been to Palmetto Guesthouse? Share your experiences!