“Arrogant hostess attempts to ruin Mother's Day dinner”
Review of Son'z Steakhouse

Son'z Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Son'z Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 9 Restaurants in Ka'anapali
Price range: US$20 - US$55
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Recognized as Ka'anapali's premier steakhouse, Son'z Steakhouse focuses on high quality steaks and chops, fresh seafood and an array of signature appetizers and entrees. Located at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa, the fine dining restaurant overlooks the warmly lit lagoon and foliage of the beautiful Swan Court. Son'z Steakhouse features an elegant wine cellar that holds 1,500 bottles of the finest wines from around the world as well as one-of-a-kind vintages. Whether celebrating a birthday, anniversary or wedding or having a corporate event, Son'z team of professionals can accommodate your private event needs and help you create an unforgettable evening. Open nightly for dinner.
Markham, Ontario
“Arrogant hostess attempts to ruin Mother's Day dinner”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We came here for Mother's Day dinner this year. We were excited to try a new restaurant. My husband came down to check in for our reservation and she pointed to the table we were getting and told him they had to set it up. it was a nice table in the centre of the restaurant- perfect for mothers day. When I came down with my four kids, two of which were sleeping in the stroller, she wanted to move us to the back of the restaurant and have my sleeping children parked away from my table- as if they were pieces of luggage! At the same time a group of six people without a reservation walked in, and she was going to give them the first table she promised my husband. After my husband argued with another waitress, practically begging for them not to ruin the evening for us, the other waitress seated all of us at the original table. The restaurant was not full, in fact it was clearing out. To be honest with you, my husband spent more on a bottle of wine than most tables of six spent altogether. We don't plan to ever come to this restaurant. We can afford to eat anywhere. If I wanted to be greeted and treated badly by a snotty, stuck up, loser HOSTESS, I could have gone to the Hyatt in Toronto! The service here is a disgrace to the Island of Maui, where everyone there is so
family friendly. The next day we went to Leilani's on the beach and had such a wonderful time!

• Visited May 2014
Don A, General Manager at Son'z Steakhouse, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Aloha and thank you for your feedback.
On behalf of the ownership and staff we send our sincerest apology for the handling of your seating arrangements.
I can can assure you this occurrence will help us better train our staff so instances like this do not happen again. Our staff takes pride in making all of our families feel welcomed as if they were in our own home, unfortunately we missed the mark in this instance. Again we are terribly sorry for your experience and hope you'll find it in you to give us another chance.

Don A.

Maui, Hawaii
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing Food, Service and Ambiance”
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

One of the BEST restaurants in Maui. The food, service and ambiance was incredible! Also enjoyed the live jazz music.

Wenatchee, Washington
“Excellent food, outstanding service!”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I have been to Son'z now three of four times. The first time was in December 2013, when we went to choose a reception venue. This last trip to Maui, it was for my wedding.

In December, we went to look at roughly five restaurant options. After seeing the spaces, tasting the food, and meeting with the managers, we chose Son'z. The food was excellent, and the space was very elegant, especially after dark. The open air restaurant, with views of the lagoon, lighted waterfall - it was all so beautiful. The manager, Angela, though, was what sold it for us. She was extremely professional, helpful, thoughtful. Most of all, though, she was open to ideas. Unlike other restaurants, who offer fixed menus for larger groups, in fixed spaces, she was open to discuss where exactly we wanted the reception, what food we wanted, how much or how little of the menu was to be included. Incredible service.

The menu changed between December and April, but the food was still outstanding. We had a variety of passed appetizers (the sliders were incredibly popular among my guests). The food was outstanding. I had the filet - perfectly cooked. I tried also the lamb, the opakapaka, the ahi, all wonderful. The asparagus was overcooked, popular among some, but not like most steak houses would prepare it. Their wine list is outstanding, especially for a Maui restaurant. The evening service was perfect - always present when you need them, but never intrusive.

It is an atypical steak house in some senses. It doesn't have the typical dark ambiance, with heavy wood features. The menu does not look like I would expect from a classic American steak house. But the food, the wine, and the service measures up to some of the best steak houses I have been to.

I visit Maui frequently, and Son'z will be one of our regular destinations.

• Visited April 2014
Orpington
“Mediocre food with poor service”
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had dinner at this restaurant. The restaurant has a pond with Swans and Ducks swimming in it. A nice atmosphere. We shared a spicy calamari starter and we both had the snapper main course. The staff were friendly but we were very disappointed with the service. One might encounter this more when a restaurant is full but only about half of the tables were occupied. Overall we felt that the food was ok and rather expensive for what it was. With a bottle of wine the bill came to about $74 per head.

Visited March 2014
Mundelein, Illinois
“Elegance on Maui with the Finest Service”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Spent 9 days in Maui, obviously great food choices but didn't expect steak. One wouldn't think of steaks on an island, not good steaks. After a day traversing the island and seeing herds of cattle, decided to give it a shot while lounging at the pool. Open Table made reservations easy knew from the description it would be elegant. An understatement. On a par with the better steak restaurants like Bones in Atlanta. White tablecloths, four person staff to wait our table of five, a wine list to die for from French Bordeaux to Screaming Eagle to some nice Brunellos. We settled on a nice Turley Zin. Food was excellent. Escargot, Lamb, Steak, and Fish. And the view into the ocean is excellent. Best restaurant on the West Side of Maui.

• Visited March 2014