“Should have stopped further up the roadw”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kimball
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Kimball
GreenLeadersSilver level
Decatur, Illinois
“Should have stopped further up the roadw”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Traveling from Florida to Illinois. What should have been about 17 hours stretched out to 20 all due to traffic around Atlanta. Stop and go at 25mph for three hours!!

Started looking for somewhere to stay around Chattanooga TN but couldn't find anything in our price range. Everyone just wanted to stop so I took a chance at this place...and I'm done with the brand.

Late arrival with one clerk working. Immediate seating area across from desk is spartan. Breakfast area looked okay. Got on the elevator for the third floor and genuinely worried I might get stuck. Lots of banging and groaning noises.

Hallway to room smelled damp. Doors are old looking dark wood - like built in 60's but had new electronic locks. Opened door to smell of damp carpet. Not good.

Carpet felt damp so I kept my shoes on. Found a candy wrapper on the floor beside the bed from previous tenant.

Flat screen tv with cable on older dresser armoire that had fridge and microwave. Door to fridge would not close.

Went to place wake up request on the phone and found a peanut under the receiver cord - also from previous tenant.

Throw type fabric on end of bed had something crusty on it. Threw it on the floor.

Breakfast next morning okay. Advertised pancakes but machine said it needed maintenance so none for me. Noticed cookie jar on table by front desk and realized kids just sticking their hands in to get one without using any utensil. No thanks.

The room cost me $125 which is high for in the middle of nowhere but way too much for this sub-standard hotel.

Oh and it's a good thing I woke on my own as i never received the wake up call.

• Stayed July 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kimball, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Dear mkhmn,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel.

We are so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us and regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. We value your feedback as they enable us to further improve the quality and services we offer and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Joel B
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 4 July 2013 via mobile

I went for a quick one day get away. I drove from Atlanta and my fiancé drove from the TN/KY line. The hotel is in a very good location, right off the highway exit. There is all types of eateries and a strip mall with Walmart conveniently across the street. Upon arrival to the hotel I was told, hold on let me make sure your room is ready. We are understaffed and we were very busy this weekend. That automatically was a red flag. I understand being understaffed. I don't want my experience to based on the fact that you don't have enough workers. We arrive in the room. I notice right away I noticed pillows on the chase lounge and not the bed. No pillow cases. The bathroom reeked of mildew. I noticed that there was NO Shower curtain. The smell of mildew came from the tub. I have pictures to prove. I called down to the front desk and told her I had no shower curtain and I had to use my towels for the floor. Instead of offering me a curtain. She said I will have my daughter bring you some towels. I informed her I wasn't in my room and she said. I will put them on a laundry basket outside of the door. Instantly I was disgusted. Overall for the price I paid. I was highly unsatisfied I have half the mind to call and ask for a partial refund. The stay was probably the worse in my travel history. Never again will I stay there.

• Stayed June 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kimball, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
Dear Teeisit,

We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. Nevertheless, we’re sorry for any inconvenience you experienced because we did not live up to your expectations. Though we would prefer you had a better experience, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts, and hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Ferdinand G
Reviewed 23 June 2013

This Holiday Inn Express is a great stopping point from Florida to Michigan. We stayed here one night in June. The hotel has had a remodel and is pretty contemporary for this area. The breakfast was good. Staff was great. I would definitely stay here again. Great Price!

Also, has a cute outdoor pool that the kids loved. A lot of paces in the area to eat. Free Breakfast at the hotel. Can't beat it.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Lynde D, Front Desk Clerk at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kimball, responded to this review, 7 July 2013
RDUHM,
Thank you for your feed back. We love that you found the place a perfect spot to stop at on your trip. We also hope that you made the rest of your trip ok as well. WE strive to make everyone's stay wonderful, and from what you have said we did make yours. Im pleased to hear that your breakfast was good, and the staff was very friendly. WE hope you come back through and stay with us again! Have a great day! Lynde D.
Lafayette, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 30 May 2013

For the last 4 or 5 years, my husband and I have stopped at this hotel twice a year as a resting place as we drive back to Indiana from Florida. As a Priority Card Member we generally choose the Holiday Inn brand. This hotel has always been well kept and recently went thru a remodel. If there was one negative of our stay this time, it would be the front desk clerk. The young man that greeted us was not social or personable. He accidentally checked us in and gave us keys to another guests room. When we came back to the front desk to make him aware, he was not apologetic and simply gave us keys to a different room, with no explanation. Breakfast is always descent and the breakfast area has been nicely remodeled.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
823LoriS,
I'm glad that you have been stopping here for as long as you have, it's wonderful for to hear. First off of course I would like to say I'm sorry for the room key, and sorry for the employee. There was no reason for this to have went on. I will let my manager know about this ASAP! Other then that I'm once again so happy that you do find this place every time you travel. Our staff is very friendly, and I'm sorry for that night once again. I hope this doesnt change you mind about your hotel and come back. Hope you have a Wonderful Day. Lynde D.
Reviewed 29 May 2013 via mobile

Breakfast was good, lots of choices, including a pancake machine.

Large room, clean, nice beds. The outdoor pool looked clean.

However, at $150 or so, including taxes, I would find somewhere cheaper next time.

• Stayed May 2013
sjlocke,
Thank you for your feedback, I'm happy to know that you find our hotel nice and breakfast good. I will like to explain something about our rates. They do change daily and we are normally booked up 6 days out of the week. I'm sorry you find the rates to high, and will find somewhere else next time. I just hope you would give us that 2nd chance. Once again thank you for enjoying your stay with us! Lynde D
Georgia
Reviewed 11 May 2013

We stayed two nights April 26th and April 27th, 2013. It was a well kept facility; room, bathroom and common areas all properly clean. The bed and pillows were excellent. Check-in and Check-out was friendly and fast. The breakfast was standard HIE fare, including the scrumptious cinnamon rolls. Easy to get here off the interstate but far away enough so there was no traffic noise. Three reasons why I didn't give this place five stars: the price was good but not great, although there was a wide screen TV it did not have a high definition source so standard viewing, and I try to reserve five stars for exceptional/outstanding facilities. It was just a few miles to South Pittsburg, TN and the National Cornbread Festival which was the purpose of our visit.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
rulesinjax,
The Cornbread Festival is my favorite time of year and Im glad you came to join us during that exciting time. Sorry It has taken us so long to respond. Our Hotel is great and we strive to make it everything you want it to be. I'm sorry for the TVs, Ill report that to someone as soon as I can. I agree with you that the location of the Hotel is perfect. South Pittsburg doesnt have any Hotels and so every one gets to stay in Kimball. I'm sorry for the price as well. You must understand that it's during a busy weekend and we don't get to make our rates someone else does and they just come up our computer. So what the computer says goes, it only gives us a little room to play with discounts. That weekend however it puts a block on it to where we can't make it lower. Again I'm sorry for getting back to you so late and hope to see you next year for the festival!
Lynde D
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I booked on-line back in February for a July 13th stay. I needed to cancel my reservation in May and the management was unwilling to cooperate! I wanted to stay at another Holiday Inn-express in another town, but the management was unwilling to change it for me. I will NEVER book on-line with Holiday Inn-express again!!

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fidplace
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kimball, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Dear Fidplace,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We aim to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I sincerely regret that you were inconvenienced by our rate options. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. Rest assured, this will be passed on to the appropriate departments to consider for improvements needed at our facility.

Again, thank you for the candid review and my apologies for the inconvenience.

Pam G
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kimball
Hampton Inn Kimball
Super 8 - Monteagle TN
Super 8 - Monteagle TN
#1 of 6 in Monteagle
Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Chattanooga-Lookout Mountain

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kimball? Share your experiences!