“A good stopover”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Saint Louis, Missouri
“A good stopover”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

The hotel was in good shape physically and the staff very polite. There are ample fast food and sit down restaurants nearby and it's right off Interstate 24.

The breakfast was a good full service with scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuit and gravy. You could also get fresh made pancakes, cinnamon buns, cereal, milk and three juices.

The only downside was a disappointed 7 year old that this Holiday Inn didn't have an alligator like the one in Florida.

Stayed January 2014
3 Thank rwdawtravel
Hiexkim, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kimball, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
I am so glad that you enjoyed your visit to our hotel. Our staff does everything it can to make every guests stay with us enjoyable. Of course out FREE BREAKFAST is the highlight for many of our guests. We do all we can to make our guests happy so for the disappointed 7 year old, no promises but, we will work on the alligator thing. Thanks for reviewing the hotel. You are always welcome a the HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS AND SUITES IN KIMBALL TENNESSEE.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
West Lafayette, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

When I was planning my vacation down to Florida and back to Indiana, I was looking for a place to stay for the night after a 9-10 hours drive. As an IHG member, this place popped up as it was the cheapest in the area for IHG accommodations. Verdict? I am glad that I chose to stay here.

The location: It was a great location for us as we left Orlando early in the morning around 740am and that is after we sent my sister and her family to the airport at 430am! Hence I know my boyfriend (the one and only driver) will need to stop before it gets too dark. We managed to get to Kimball around 5pm which was good as it was turning dark. There are some eating places across the road from the hotel, and there is also a Walmart Supercenter, which made it easier for us in terms of dinner. Another reason as to why I am glad that I made this my stop is because of the next stretch of road on Highway 24 is rather winding and could be difficult for a tired driver to navigate at night. This is a conclusion that we came to when we were on our way the next day, looking at and navigating the curves, the icicles on the rock faces by the road, that Kimball is a good stopping point.

The hotel: Although it looks old and dated, it is one of the better Holiday Inn Express I have stayed with. There is not much amenities but I am not spending hours in the hotel, it was mainly a pit stop for a long drive. Hence, as long as it is clean (which it is) I am happy. A nice touch was that I got upgraded to the king suite as a platinum member which come with a nice sitting around, a small microwave, coffee maker, fridge and sink in the room. All of the items were working fine and the fridge came in useful in storing some of the food stuff we have with us on the trip. There is also free wifi which is useful for us to plan the second leg of the drive back home.

The breakfast: The breakfast spread is nice, with plenty of choice. I thought the complimentary breakfast is a nice touch and we could get nice hot coffee to go with us for our drive.

Conclusion: If I am making the same drive under the same condition, yes I will be staying here again. However, for me, this is a one night stop hotel and not a place that I will set up base at if I am visiting Tennessee.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank julianatay
Hiexkim, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kimball, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Everyone here at Holiday Inn Express Kimball Tennessee is so happy that you enjoyed your night with us. You are right we are the perfect STOPPING POINT on that long trip. The same is true for your trip back. We thank you for your comments and look forward to seeing you when you are in the area again. Have a GREAT NEW YEAR!
NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

We stayed here in September for four nights while working a bass tournament. The hotel sits on a hill and the exterior and landscaping are great. The room was fresh and clean, the shower was strong and hot, the towels were thick, the beds were very firm and they slept great. A flat screen TV with plenty of channels and a microwave and fridge neatly tucked away in the cabinet under the TV. The room had an iron, ironing board and laundry service. Our room had a nice view of the mountains in the distance. Our room was nicely cleaned while we were out and I noticed there was some upkeep going on while we were there. The stairwells and doors were getting a fresh coat of paint and the carpets in the rooms were getting cleaned. The elevator was flawless and the locks were actually scanned with the room key instead of being inserted into the lock. The breakfast area was clean and the food was pretty good. They had scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuites, gravy, fruit, juices, danish, bagles etc: Since this area is just off the interstate there are several places to eat, walmart etc. Once you get away from the interstate the area is a typical small town with a small town feel. Since we were here four days we got to see a lot of it. All of the people we delt with while we were here were very nice and very helpful in making our tournament a great success. No doubt I would stay there again..

Room Tip: Room 323 has a nice view of the mountains in the distance.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Lynde D, Front Desk at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kimball, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Thank you So much for your Comment! Its so pretty around our area this time of year and I'm so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We have several Bass tournaments around here so I hope you can make it to another one and stay here again! Thanks again for staying with us!
Decatur, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

Traveling from Florida to Illinois. What should have been about 17 hours stretched out to 20 all due to traffic around Atlanta. Stop and go at 25mph for three hours!!

Started looking for somewhere to stay around Chattanooga TN but couldn't find anything in our price range. Everyone just wanted to stop so I took a chance at this place...and I'm done with the brand.

Late arrival with one clerk working. Immediate seating area across from desk is spartan. Breakfast area looked okay. Got on the elevator for the third floor and genuinely worried I might get stuck. Lots of banging and groaning noises.

Hallway to room smelled damp. Doors are old looking dark wood - like built in 60's but had new electronic locks. Opened door to smell of damp carpet. Not good.

Carpet felt damp so I kept my shoes on. Found a candy wrapper on the floor beside the bed from previous tenant.

Flat screen tv with cable on older dresser armoire that had fridge and microwave. Door to fridge would not close.

Went to place wake up request on the phone and found a peanut under the receiver cord - also from previous tenant.

Throw type fabric on end of bed had something crusty on it. Threw it on the floor.

Breakfast next morning okay. Advertised pancakes but machine said it needed maintenance so none for me. Noticed cookie jar on table by front desk and realized kids just sticking their hands in to get one without using any utensil. No thanks.

The room cost me $125 which is high for in the middle of nowhere but way too much for this sub-standard hotel.

Oh and it's a good thing I woke on my own as i never received the wake up call.

• Stayed July 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kimball, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Dear mkhmn,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel.

We are so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us and regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. We value your feedback as they enable us to further improve the quality and services we offer and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013 via mobile

I went for a quick one day get away. I drove from Atlanta and my fiancé drove from the TN/KY line. The hotel is in a very good location, right off the highway exit. There is all types of eateries and a strip mall with Walmart conveniently across the street. Upon arrival to the hotel I was told, hold on let me make sure your room is ready. We are understaffed and we were very busy this weekend. That automatically was a red flag. I understand being understaffed. I don't want my experience to based on the fact that you don't have enough workers. We arrive in the room. I notice right away I noticed pillows on the chase lounge and not the bed. No pillow cases. The bathroom reeked of mildew. I noticed that there was NO Shower curtain. The smell of mildew came from the tub. I have pictures to prove. I called down to the front desk and told her I had no shower curtain and I had to use my towels for the floor. Instead of offering me a curtain. She said I will have my daughter bring you some towels. I informed her I wasn't in my room and she said. I will put them on a laundry basket outside of the door. Instantly I was disgusted. Overall for the price I paid. I was highly unsatisfied I have half the mind to call and ask for a partial refund. The stay was probably the worse in my travel history. Never again will I stay there.

• Stayed June 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kimball, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
Dear Teeisit,

We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. Nevertheless, we’re sorry for any inconvenience you experienced because we did not live up to your expectations. Though we would prefer you had a better experience, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts, and hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

This Holiday Inn Express is a great stopping point from Florida to Michigan. We stayed here one night in June. The hotel has had a remodel and is pretty contemporary for this area. The breakfast was good. Staff was great. I would definitely stay here again. Great Price!

Also, has a cute outdoor pool that the kids loved. A lot of paces in the area to eat. Free Breakfast at the hotel. Can't beat it.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Lynde D, Front Desk Clerk at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kimball, responded to this review, 7 July 2013
RDUHM,
Thank you for your feed back. We love that you found the place a perfect spot to stop at on your trip. We also hope that you made the rest of your trip ok as well. WE strive to make everyone's stay wonderful, and from what you have said we did make yours. Im pleased to hear that your breakfast was good, and the staff was very friendly. WE hope you come back through and stay with us again! Have a great day! Lynde D.
Lafayette, Indiana, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

For the last 4 or 5 years, my husband and I have stopped at this hotel twice a year as a resting place as we drive back to Indiana from Florida. As a Priority Card Member we generally choose the Holiday Inn brand. This hotel has always been well kept and recently went thru a remodel. If there was one negative of our stay this time, it would be the front desk clerk. The young man that greeted us was not social or personable. He accidentally checked us in and gave us keys to another guests room. When we came back to the front desk to make him aware, he was not apologetic and simply gave us keys to a different room, with no explanation. Breakfast is always descent and the breakfast area has been nicely remodeled.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
823LoriS,
I'm glad that you have been stopping here for as long as you have, it's wonderful for to hear. First off of course I would like to say I'm sorry for the room key, and sorry for the employee. There was no reason for this to have went on. I will let my manager know about this ASAP! Other then that I'm once again so happy that you do find this place every time you travel. Our staff is very friendly, and I'm sorry for that night once again. I hope this doesnt change you mind about your hotel and come back. Hope you have a Wonderful Day. Lynde D.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kimball
Hampton Inn Kimball
Hampton Inn Chattanooga West/Lookout Mountain
The Sewanee Inn
The Sewanee Inn
#1 of 1 in Sewanee

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kimball? Share your experiences!