“Totally blown away”

Chestnut Hill Bed & Breakfast Inn
Ranked #1 of 8 Orange B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 March 2013 via mobile

We had never been to Orange before and were skeptical on the drive in, but once we saw the inn on the hill we were immediately blown away. Troy and Kathleen are wonderful people and make you feel right at home. Not your usual bed and breakfast with the old-folk atmosphere. My girlfriend and I are in the 23-25 age group and LOVED the atmosphere (full bar, warm & fresh appetizers, concierge service who actually know the area well and are full of great ideas..all inclusive!) the rooms are amazing down to every intricate detail and superbly clean. The design of the home and each room is flowing with character and beauty. Really a wonderful getaway. Would recommend to any and everyone! Will be back soon!

• Stayed: March 2013

Reviewed 20 February 2013

Crowning a hilltop, this lovely B&B is a work of love. Troy and Kathleen have a great story to back up their final product which is a masterpiece of comfort and beauty. A decorator's pride and joy, every ornamentation is perfect for its placement. The color schemes are exciting and yet subtle. Comfort is the mainstay of this retreat. Our bedroom had two fireplaces and a jacuzzi. Breakfast was amazing. A gourmet treat while still staying within my stringent dietary restrictions, just for me! They really care. Plenty of history and fine food within short daytrip distances. We have stayed at many B&Bs, but this one was truly awesome.

Room Tip: Every room was beautiful. Even two downstairs. Every effort is made to ensure privacy and peace. The...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 February 2013

We just eloped at Chestnut Hill Bed and Breakfast yesterday!!! We cannot say enough wonderful things about Troy and Kathleen. They made our wedding perfect all the way down to the smallest detail. They both really cared about us and our wedding. You don’t find people like that every day. They made us and our few guests feel extremely welcome and at home for our entire stay. Troy and Kathleen both made it a point to ask us exactly what we wanted and how we wanted it done and they MADE it happen. My flowers were gorgeous, the cake was delicious, ALL the food was out of this world delicious. It was a beautiful stress free day and that is exactly what I wanted. Everything ran smoothly and seamlessly. My five year old daughter was following the house keeper around and kept coming back with little cookies or cut up apples just for her. I also found out later that my daughter was helping the house keeper with laundry. They all were extremely kind to her.
When we went to dinner that night the restaurant had our names and “Congratulations” printed inside the menu! When we got back to our room that night our bed was covered in rose petals with our left over cake and champagne chilling by the bed. Details, details, details. My husband and I are by no means millionaires but we sure did feel like we were the past few days.
We stayed in the Alexander Daly Suite and it was beautiful and so luxurious. I did not want to leave!! My parents stayed in the room down the hall and my father wanted to load the bed up into his car somehow and take it home with him. He said it was just perfect in every way imaginable.
I would recommend getting married here to every person I know. It could not have been more perfect. I cannot think of one negative thing to say. Drive to Orange VA to get married at Chestnut Hill Bed and Breakfast!!!!
Stephanie Peters

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We stayed at the Chestnut Hill Bed & Breakfast last weekend because it came highly recommended. We were blown away with our experience. When we approved we were given free wine tasting passes to multiple local vineyards. When we came back from the wineries, Troy had prepared a seafood trio for us and wine and beer was available for all guests. The rooms were beautiful and immaculate. The breakfast the next morning was out of a dream. Kathleen and Troy do an excellent job of making you feel at home, though giving you plenty space. We are on a budget, but this is one indulgence we will plan for again!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Chestnut Hill Bed and Breakfast is the nicest bed and breakfast that we have ever stayed in.
The proprietors are friendly and are concerned with the welfare of their guests. They provided breakfast in their "Downton Abbey" dining room, but also appetizers at 5 p.m.
This is a very special place. We will go again and again. Orange County Virginia is spectacular, so staying in such a nice place makes the trip totally worthwhile.

Room Tip: If you go with another couple, choose the downstairs English basement (2) rooms. It's like bein...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2013

My wife and I were given a one night stay at the Chestnut Hill Bed & Breakfast as one of our wedding gifts. My father and his wife stayed there and loved it. I had been to numerous bed and breakfasts before, but this was my wife's first time. We booked a second night to round out the weekend prior to our arrival. Our stay was 11/16-11/18.

The House:
It was beautiful! This place was very clean and well decorated with antique furniture. Every room has its own charm. The yard is very beautiful and well maintained, with seating and a waterfall pond.

The Room:
We stayed in Alexander Daley’s Master Suite. It was the perfect size and felt like home. It had a nice bathroom with Jacuzzi and fireplace and a separate shower. There was also a fireplace in the bedroom. The sheets were the softest sheets I’d ever slept in and the pillows were so soft!

Food:
Breakfast each morning was wonderful! It was healthy and delicious. And the light meal in the afternoon was great, as well. They really go above and beyond. The meals were planned out perfectly and they even changed my meal slightly to accommodate for my wife's distaste in fish. It really makes my day when someone can pay so much attention to detail and make you feel at home and at ease.

Troy & Kathleen:
My wife is not a very social person and she was a little leery about having to eat with other guests and the possibility of being given so much attention by the hosts. Her worries were quickly abated, though. Everyone, including the guests, were so nice. Kathleen & Troy get to know their guests and can tell each guest's preferences. They both made sure that all of our needs were met.

Our overall experience was fantastic! We will definitely stay there again. We are even thinking of sending my wife's parents here for a weekend. We recommend that everyone stay at the Chestnut Hill B & B. Not only is the place beautiful, but the area is great as well. Lots to do, great restaurants (we recommend going to the French restaurant, Pomme), and lots of antique stores to check out.

Room Tip: Make sure to stay more than one night so you get a chance to check out the surrounding area!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Scott C
Reviewed 25 December 2012 via mobile

There are two great places to stay in Orange. We've tried both, and Chestnut Hill is the winner. The hosts are attentive, but do not crowd you. The rooms are so well done with spotless bathrooms attached. And I won't even start a report on the breakfasts. It would take way too long!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Harmonysailor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orange
Comfort Inn & Suites Orange
Mayhurst Inn
Mayhurst Inn
#4 of 8 in Orange
Holladay House Bed and Breakfast

Been to Chestnut Hill Bed & Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!