Chestnut Hill Bed & Breakfast Inn
Holiday Inn Express Orange(Orange)(Great Value!)
US$109
US$93
Priceline
The Inn at Willow Grove(Orange)
US$290
Red Roof
Quality Inn(Culpeper)
US$88
Priceline
Best Western Culpeper Inn(Culpeper)(Great Value!)
US$107
US$100
BestWestern.com
US$142
Orbitz.com
All reviewsb bmy husband and ikoi pondother guestsgrand marnier french toastmade us feellobster bisquethe lower levelrooms are beautifulprior to our arrivaljacuzzi tubget awayus feel at homeeach afternoongracious hospitalitymaster suiteout of this world
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 May 2013

First impressions are everything and Kathleen and Troy and their staff were amazing. Me and my fiance arrived about 2 hours early before our check in time and the staff gave us some wine and allowed us to sit outside and relax. They helped plan our whole big day and made it extremely amazing. The food was by far some of the best I have ever tried anywhere. They were very friendly and just made the whole expeirence as if we were on vacation in another country. I will absouletly be going back here and might even plan our wedding here it was just that amazing..

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sej w
Reviewed 19 April 2013

Other innkeepers are probably not very happy with Troy and Kathleen, the innkeepers and owners at Chestnut Hill. That's because they set a standard for excellence in innkeeping that most others will never be able to meet.

Our experience began as soon as we reached for the doorknob with Kathleen greeting us and immediately offering us our choice of beverage, making us feel welcome, and chatting with us about our visit. Next she told us she had a surprise for us: since we were the only guests in the inn on this mid-week stay in early Spring, she upgraded us to the best room in the inn - Emily Macon's Bridal Suite. Oh, darn!

Then she introduced us to other members of the staff, toured us around the inn, and showed us to our room. The bridal suite included a bedroom with four-poster bed, huge bathroom, sitting room, and small "kitchen corner" with mini-fridge, Keurig coffee maker, and small sink. The suite was beautifully decorated - the photos on the inn's website portray the suite exactly as it is in real life.

Kathleen explained that a stay at Chestnut Hill included gourmet breakfast, unlimited wine, beer, soda, and fruit juice, and "heavy" hors d'oeuvres in the late afternoon. To be honest, I was becoming a bit skeptical and thinking that "this place is too good to be true; it seems perfect but there's got to be flaws we just haven't seen yet."

Soon it was time for hors d'oeuvres. Kathleen asked us if we'd like to have them in our room or in the awesome saloon in the basement. We opted to have them in our room since there was no one else in the inn. A few minutes later a large shrimp platter with cheese, crackers, and fruit arrived at the room. We accompanied it red and white wine that we selected from the wine collection in the saloon. This part of Virginia is a robust wine producing area with a half-dozen wineries very close to the inn. Troy and Kathleen are strong supporters of the local wineries and offer a wide selection of their wines. We finished with champagne and chocolates that had been placed in our room prior to our arrival and didn't bother with dinner because we were over-stuffed from this very happy "happy hour".

The next afternoon there were other guests in the inn so we wanted to be sociable have hors d'oeuvres in the saloon. Anticipation was high as we wondered what to expect after our experience from the previous day. Kathleen announced that Troy had prepared each of us a 1/4 Peking Duck served over black rice with plum sauce. OMG, it was delicious! By now I'm thinking that maybe this place really is that good. We skipped dinner that night, too. Breakfasts were fabulous and in the evenings we found a platter of cookies that my wife proclaimed were the best she's ever tasted.

Then I found the flaws and imperfections that I thought must be lurking somewhere: the sink stopper in our bathroom leaked a little; I filled the sink before I shaved and by the time I was done the water level in the sink was easily 3/4 inch lower. AND, I found a typo on the website! They spelled "dessert" with only one "s". Hah! Chestnut Hill is NOT perfect - it's ALMOST perfect.

If you want beautiful and luxurious accomodations, gourmet food and wine, and welcoming innkeepers but can tolerate an imperfect sink stopper or a typo on the website, then you MUST stay at Chestnut Hill.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tom B
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Oh! What a wonderful stay! The first thing when we arrived we were told they would up-grade our room. Each room is so different but beautifully decorated. Then the food – Oh my! Gourmet plus! Savory and sweet. I rate this 6 stars out of 1-5 stars. The hospitality is above and beyond. I am looking forward to the next visit.

Room Tip: The Bridal Suite is the largest. All rooms are special
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2013

If you have never experienced Chestnut Hill B&B I suggest you look them up and book a room...now! I surprised my wife for our 10th year anniversary and Troy and Kathleen were awesome in helping me plan this secret getaway. I told my wife that we were going to a German restaurant nearby and on the way I pretended to get lost and told her I had to turn around as I pulled into the Chestnut Hill driveway. My wife was like "Honey we don't know these people..." It wasn't until I parked that she caught on. Anyway, Troy and Kathleen are wonderful people. They welcomed us and treated us like VIP from the time we got there to the time we left. We stayed in the Emily Macon Bridal Suite and it was GREAT! It was clean, comfortable, elegant and relaxing. We felt like we were just married all over again. The food was excellent as well, Lobster Bisque, Gourmet Cookies, they even brought breakfast to our room. Everything was top notch! I will have to get lost again soon...LOL! Anyway, if you are looking for a place to stay or just to get away, this is a wonderful option. You will not be disappointed. Thanks for the memories Troy and Kathleen....

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2013

What a find! We had such a wonderful time at Chestnut Hill B & B. Kathleen and Troy were so friendly and attentive. We arrived around five and they had prepared lobster bisque (yummy) for an appetizer along with wine/beer or soft drinks. We felt so relaxed - it was like staying at a friend's house. The rooms and grounds were immaculate. The staff were beyond helpful and the resident pets were a delight. The breakfasts were gourmet and delicious. Troy and Kathleen suggested good restaurants and helped us plan our days. We are so glad that we chose Chestnut Hill as the place to end our fabulous Virginia vacation! We hope to return!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple