“A gem found at Chesnut Hill”

Chestnut Hill Bed & Breakfast Inn
Ranked #1 of 8 Orange B&B and Inns
Ashburn, Virginia
“A gem found at Chesnut Hill”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

Well what to say Chesnut Hill is just divine. If you are looking for a great romantic place Chesnut Hill is the place. We stayed two nights in the ask Anna suite. It was beautiful and the innkeepers Kathleen and Troy are just wonderful. They made our stay just perfect. I would suggest this inn is the top I have stayed in. Thank you again will return soon.

Room Tip: The rooms are divine any room will be perfect
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Severna Park, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013

We were in Orange for two nights in May. We did something unique for us - we stayed at two different B&B's. Both with nearly perfect TA ratings.

Chestnut Hill was a 10-minute walk to downtown; the other Orange B&B was on a quiet wooded street more removed. Chestnut Hill was very decorated, the other inn more minimalist. Both very attractive. Chestnut Hill (Kathleen, Troy and Theresa) was friendly and jubilant; the other inn just as friendly, but a bit more reserved. Both had happy hour drinks and very tasteful snacks. At Chestnut Hill we hung out with the guests; the other with the owners. In both cases we had a terrific time. (In fairness CH had more guests that evening). CH's breakfast was more traditional; the other B&B's breakfast more creative and a bit lighter. Both breakfasts were plentiful and excellent.

Either way you won't go wrong. You choose.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Skip B
dale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013

First impressions are everything and Kathleen and Troy and their staff were amazing. Me and my fiance arrived about 2 hours early before our check in time and the staff gave us some wine and allowed us to sit outside and relax. They helped plan our whole big day and made it extremely amazing. The food was by far some of the best I have ever tried anywhere. They were very friendly and just made the whole expeirence as if we were on vacation in another country. I will absouletly be going back here and might even plan our wedding here it was just that amazing..

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sej w
Lynchburg, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2013

Other innkeepers are probably not very happy with Troy and Kathleen, the innkeepers and owners at Chestnut Hill. That's because they set a standard for excellence in innkeeping that most others will never be able to meet.

Our experience began as soon as we reached for the doorknob with Kathleen greeting us and immediately offering us our choice of beverage, making us feel welcome, and chatting with us about our visit. Next she told us she had a surprise for us: since we were the only guests in the inn on this mid-week stay in early Spring, she upgraded us to the best room in the inn - Emily Macon's Bridal Suite. Oh, darn!

Then she introduced us to other members of the staff, toured us around the inn, and showed us to our room. The bridal suite included a bedroom with four-poster bed, huge bathroom, sitting room, and small "kitchen corner" with mini-fridge, Keurig coffee maker, and small sink. The suite was beautifully decorated - the photos on the inn's website portray the suite exactly as it is in real life.

Kathleen explained that a stay at Chestnut Hill included gourmet breakfast, unlimited wine, beer, soda, and fruit juice, and "heavy" hors d'oeuvres in the late afternoon. To be honest, I was becoming a bit skeptical and thinking that "this place is too good to be true; it seems perfect but there's got to be flaws we just haven't seen yet."

Soon it was time for hors d'oeuvres. Kathleen asked us if we'd like to have them in our room or in the awesome saloon in the basement. We opted to have them in our room since there was no one else in the inn. A few minutes later a large shrimp platter with cheese, crackers, and fruit arrived at the room. We accompanied it red and white wine that we selected from the wine collection in the saloon. This part of Virginia is a robust wine producing area with a half-dozen wineries very close to the inn. Troy and Kathleen are strong supporters of the local wineries and offer a wide selection of their wines. We finished with champagne and chocolates that had been placed in our room prior to our arrival and didn't bother with dinner because we were over-stuffed from this very happy "happy hour".

The next afternoon there were other guests in the inn so we wanted to be sociable have hors d'oeuvres in the saloon. Anticipation was high as we wondered what to expect after our experience from the previous day. Kathleen announced that Troy had prepared each of us a 1/4 Peking Duck served over black rice with plum sauce. OMG, it was delicious! By now I'm thinking that maybe this place really is that good. We skipped dinner that night, too. Breakfasts were fabulous and in the evenings we found a platter of cookies that my wife proclaimed were the best she's ever tasted.

Then I found the flaws and imperfections that I thought must be lurking somewhere: the sink stopper in our bathroom leaked a little; I filled the sink before I shaved and by the time I was done the water level in the sink was easily 3/4 inch lower. AND, I found a typo on the website! They spelled "dessert" with only one "s". Hah! Chestnut Hill is NOT perfect - it's ALMOST perfect.

If you want beautiful and luxurious accomodations, gourmet food and wine, and welcoming innkeepers but can tolerate an imperfect sink stopper or a typo on the website, then you MUST stay at Chestnut Hill.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tom B
williamsburg virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2013

Oh! What a wonderful stay! The first thing when we arrived we were told they would up-grade our room. Each room is so different but beautifully decorated. Then the food – Oh my! Gourmet plus! Savory and sweet. I rate this 6 stars out of 1-5 stars. The hospitality is above and beyond. I am looking forward to the next visit.

Room Tip: The Bridal Suite is the largest. All rooms are special
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Aylett, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

If you have never experienced Chestnut Hill B&B I suggest you look them up and book a room...now! I surprised my wife for our 10th year anniversary and Troy and Kathleen were awesome in helping me plan this secret getaway. I told my wife that we were going to a German restaurant nearby and on the way I pretended to get lost and told her I had to turn around as I pulled into the Chestnut Hill driveway. My wife was like "Honey we don't know these people..." It wasn't until I parked that she caught on. Anyway, Troy and Kathleen are wonderful people. They welcomed us and treated us like VIP from the time we got there to the time we left. We stayed in the Emily Macon Bridal Suite and it was GREAT! It was clean, comfortable, elegant and relaxing. We felt like we were just married all over again. The food was excellent as well, Lobster Bisque, Gourmet Cookies, they even brought breakfast to our room. Everything was top notch! I will have to get lost again soon...LOL! Anyway, if you are looking for a place to stay or just to get away, this is a wonderful option. You will not be disappointed. Thanks for the memories Troy and Kathleen....

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Irving, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2013

What a find! We had such a wonderful time at Chestnut Hill B & B. Kathleen and Troy were so friendly and attentive. We arrived around five and they had prepared lobster bisque (yummy) for an appetizer along with wine/beer or soft drinks. We felt so relaxed - it was like staying at a friend's house. The rooms and grounds were immaculate. The staff were beyond helpful and the resident pets were a delight. The breakfasts were gourmet and delicious. Troy and Kathleen suggested good restaurants and helped us plan our days. We are so glad that we chose Chestnut Hill as the place to end our fabulous Virginia vacation! We hope to return!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orange
Comfort Inn & Suites Orange
Mayhurst Inn
#5 of 8 in Orange
Holladay House Bed and Breakfast
The Inn at Willow Grove

Been to Chestnut Hill Bed & Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!