“The Inn, The Host and the Location = GREAT”

Holladay House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 8 Orange B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Not the best at writing a review, but for the Holiday House I will give it my best shot. I know that my wife and I have been there three times, but it could be four. We have stayed in different rooms, but they have all been Very Nice. Some offer more than others, hot tub, fireplace and so on.
Sharon can tell you all the good places to eat and what to do for fun during the day. Don't want to write too much, so I will stop. Just know this is a GREAT B&B.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the street. It will help with noise when it is time to go to bed.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank littlebutch
hhbb_innkeeper, Owner at Holladay House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Just a few more visits and you'll have stayed in all the rooms! Then you can pick your favorite one :) All the rooms ARE different - which we love as our guests are not always traveling for the same reason. All of them are relaxing, some of them with a few added luxury amenities like whirlpool tubs. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I don't take reviews lightly. Accolades should be reserved for those who deserve the praise. Sharon and her family at Holladay are top notch hosts and the breakfasts are second top none. I look forward to my next stay there in Orange, Va, i just hope that the reviews won't mean that I can't get a room the next time I'm in Orange!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
hhbb_innkeeper, Owner at Holladay House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Well, we're blushing :) Thank you for your review! Upon your return we promise to woo you with new tasty breakfasts! Or if you have a favorite breakfast you want repeated, just let us know in advance - it's yours :) See you soon!

Reviewed 29 May 2014

My boyfriend and I were looking for a quick overnight getaway close to our DC home last weekend. Holladay House was perfect! It is close to several great vineyards (go to Horton, if you can -- not the fanciest, but the best wines!) and a beautiful cider place, as well as the lovely Blue Ridge Mountains. We stayed in the Garden Room, which is ideal for couples: big, comfy bed; a whirlpool tub; and a little patio. Everything was perfect from start to finish: the room was clean and well-decorated, the hosts were so kind and welcoming, and the breakfast was delicious (and held us well through lunch!)It is also nice that you can walk into town to grab dinner at a few spots, which is helpful when you've got a trunk full of new wine. It was a much-needed escape from the city and I hope we can return to see the beautiful fall foilage.

1  Thank Robyn R
hhbb_innkeeper, Owner at Holladay House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Thanks for staying with us! I'm so glad your getaway was perfect from start to finish! This region is wonderful for total relaxation: great food, great wine, great scenery. And we're happy our inn could be an integral part in your relaxation getaway :) Come back anytime - we'll have more creative get-you-past-lunch breakfasts waiting :D

Reviewed 8 May 2014

My husband and I stayed this past weekend at Holladay House. This house is exactly the kind of place we like. Small town, old, historic house, friendly Inn Keepers and a delicious breakfast to start the day. Yes, the house is on the main street. Yes, the house is old and you can hear creaking as people walk around. However, you have to put this in perspective. Orange is a small town, so the main street is not like a "city" main street. Old houses have character. So much better than staying in a square box. Traffic was not bad while we were there, so we didn't have much bother from that. The train track is not too far away and trains go through quite often, so that may be disturbing if you are not used to that sound. Personally, I don't mind it. It did wake my husband up a few times. There are places to eat in town. In fact, we ate at two very nice places and both within walking distance. I liked the Orange area and plan to go back at some point. If I do, I'll stay at Holladay House again. Thanks for a lovely weekend!

1  Thank mjbchlvr
hhbb_innkeeper, Owner at Holladay House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

You really hit on all the reasons why we love living here and sharing it with our guests! We are charmed with our cute historic town of Orange and this historic home - and we've lived here for 8 years! Both the town and our inn combine historic and modern seamlessly (you could eat your way through your entire weekend with the amazing restaurants in the area...) As for the train - most of our guests, like you, are not bothered by the "toot" in the distance. However we are aware, like your husband, we do have sensitive sleepers and offer a white noise machine upon request. In fact, so many of our guests are train enthusiasts, we are putting together a Historic Train Walking Tour together with a well-known historian in the area (keep an eye out for it on our website!) We look forward to your return :)

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Just complete a week long stay at this fantastic 1830 Bed & Breakfast in the historic district of Orange, Virginia. Only four miles from Montpelier, the home of James & Dolley Madison, it was the perfect location to tour the many vineyards and historic sites in this picturesque region. Sharon and Sam, the owners, made me feel like family. They contacted me several times before I arrived to ask if I had any special dietary needs or other requests. Sharon's breakfasts were amazing. Each one different all six days and made from scratch! I highly recommend the Holladay House to all travellers. I know I'll return.

Room Tip: I stayed on the upper floor in the Oak Room. Well appointed and quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

We had a fantastic time hosting you for your week-long getaway - you WERE like family :D It's a treat for me to serve up a different, made-from-scratch breakfast each morning - so thank you :) When you return, I'd be happy to help you plan to visit more of the historic sites and wineries in the area. Till then!

Reviewed 6 May 2014

My husband & I were celebrating our 4th wedding anniversary & wanted to go somewhere unique & quiet. The Holladay House was the PERFECT getaway! We stayed in the lovely Garden Room, which offers a private porch area, a spa jetted-soaking tub, & a beautiful walk-in shower for two. We booked a special package which included in-room massages, delicious chocolate cake & wine, & a bath indulgence (lotion, soaps, & champagne)! It was fabulous & provided that perfect touch for a relaxing weekend!
Sharon was the perfect hostess! She corresponded with my husband via email offering great recommendations for dinner/tours in the area & purchased our Montpelier wine festival tickets & booked our dinner reservations before we even arrived! She made everything so convenient & easy with the utmost hospitality! And her breakfast is a must! My husband has diet restrictions so she offered to make him a special breakfast to accommodate--what amazing service! Her french toast & buttermilk biscuits were to die for!
This was our first bed & breakfast experience & we were blown away! My husband & I will definitely be returning in the future for the charm, pure quaintness, & all that the Holladay House has to offer! Thanks again for everything, Sharon! --Missy & Stephen Anderson

Room Tip: The Garden Room is in the basement so it's very quiet & you have your own porch area! Very p...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

We are just as excited about your stay with us :) We know when parents with young kids get a chance to get away, they need a quiet, easily planned vacation - and we do everything we can to create that experience. We look forward to having you both return when you need that quiet romantic getaway for two :)

Reviewed 30 April 2014

The house is very inviting and beautifully decorated. We couldn't have asked for a better venue for our wedding! Sharon was very accommodating when we had to move the date. Her attention to detail is unsurpassed, from the flowers to setting up the parlor for the ceremony to background music, not to mention her wonderful photography! We stayed in the John Madison Suite which was beautiful and comfortable. Every detail for the wedding was thoughtfully covered and all we had to do was show up with our license. It was a nice surprise to come back that evening from dinner to find an email with our wedding pictures! Breakfast was delicious as well! We felt like we were staying with old friends. We've already recommended Holladay House and Sharon to friends that are looking for an intimate wedding venue. We're going to try to return in the winter, if not then, definitely for our first anniversary! Thank you again Sharon for all you did to make our day so very special!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
hhbb_innkeeper, Owner at Holladay House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

I am so excited you had such a wonderful experience with us for your wedding! We take the details seriously - but with a smile :) Welcome to the unofficial "Holladay Wed Club" :) We look forward to seeing you for your anniversary!