“Great breakfast, wonderful hosts”

Holladay House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 8 Orange B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Mont Vernon, New Hampshire
“Great breakfast, wonderful hosts”
Reviewed 11 September 2009

Of the four B&B's we stayed at during our trip, the breakfast at the Holladay House was by far the best. Hosts were friendly, helpful and room was great.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NHSue

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Washington, DC
Reviewed 30 August 2009

My wife and I traveled to Holladay House for a late August weekend to celebrate her birthday. Our hosts Sharon and Sam were wonderful and helped make this weekend very special for us. They have an instinctive knack for knowing exactly how much interaction guests desire and are happy to sit for conversations or retire with bright smiles depending on a guest's mood.

Sharon greeted us on our arrival and gave us each cookies during our tour. She then showed us to our room, insisting on taking our luggage down for us. She then offered to help us make dinner reservations. Sharon gave a stunningly accurate description of the restaurant we chose, right down to the amount of time dinner would take.

We stayed in the Garden Suite, which was very pretty. It has a wonderful side patio, perfect for a book and morning coffee. The room comes equipped with a large whirpool spa tub and a pair of extremely comfortable robes. It was perfect for a romantic getaway.

The breakfasts are delightful. They can be leisurely or quick depending on the needs of a guest. My wife and I relaxed during our breakfast on Saturday, choosing to spend more than an hour eating and enjoying coffee before taking a walk to the farmer's market (which has very tasty fruit and vegetables, including incredible heirloom tomatoes). On Sunday, we were in a bit of a rush. Sam and Sharon were able to accommodate our schedule, getting us fed and out the door within 15 minutes. The food was excellent. We had a crustless quiche on Saturday and to-die-for french toast on Sunday. The coffee, which is roasted at a local store nearby, was delicious. I am usually a one-cup-a-day guy, but had three before I called it quits. They were also happy to accommodate my wife's food restrictions, serving veggie sausage instead of bacon on request.

All in all, we could not have been happier. Sharon and Sam were wonderful hosts and helped make our weekend amazing. We look forward to visiting them again!

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jdldore
Washington, DC
Reviewed 28 August 2009

My bf surprised me by taking me here for my birthday last weekend. We arrived and were greeted by Jim (Sharon's "helper" since Sam was out of town). Jim gave us the tour and then took us up to our room, the Blue Room. The room was really spacious and so pretty! I loved the decorating and how luxurious it all felt! The bed was nice and fluffy!

Breakfast the next morning was awesome! We had a fresh peach and yogurt cup to start. I got coffee. My bf doesn't drink coffee, so they offered him hot chocolate, which he enjoyed. Breakfast was a sweet cheese crepe with a homemade 3 berry compote, along with 2 sausage patties and some fresh kiwi. It was so delicious!

I truly enjoyed my short stay at the Holladay House and appreciated the level of attention and hospitality that we received! I felt that they went out of their way to accommodate us and make us feel comfortable.

They also gave us passes to go to Barboursville, which was about 20 minutes away. Fantastic winery! Also nearby, Montpelier.

I would definitely recommend this B&B! thanks again for a great stay!

1 Thank kimthien
TKbecker
Reviewed 26 August 2009

Best Weekend of my life. Called them at 11:37pm on Thursday night and they set up a wedding for Sunday. Nicest people I have ever meet. We stayed in the Garden Room it was beautiful, whirlpool tub for two was very romantic. They took care of everything. They even made reservations for us. I would love to move in and stay forever. Fresh cookies 24 hours a day, and wonderful breakfast. Must stay for everyone.

4 Thank TKbecker
Virginia
Reviewed 24 August 2009

We used the Holladay house as a meeting point for my family and in-laws to get together from various parts of Virginia. We started our stay with a ladies tea, which was wonderful. The scones were heavenly, and Sharon was ever a gracious hostess. The next morning we were treated to a delicious breakfast (in the words of my five-year-old son, "This is the best french toast EVER!"). Sharon was very accommodating to our vegetarianism, making soy sausage for the vegetarian half of our party and bacon for the other half. The house and the rooms were beautiful, very charming. Everyone had a wonderful time, and we will definitely be visiting again!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank jag7v
Richmond, VA
Reviewed 10 August 2009

We visited the Holladay House as a sspecial birthday celebration for my wife. Sharon and Sam were wonderful and went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and at home. Breakfasts were delicious and memorable and Sharon made reservations for us at a great restaurant for my wife's birthday dinner.
We will definitely stay here again and recommend it highly..

3 Thank BMA09
VA
Reviewed 5 July 2009

We felt so comfortable with the Innkeepers Sam and Sharon, that it felt like we spent the weekend with old friends. All of the food was delicious, we enjoyed the First Annual Hops and Chops 4th of July dinner and Fireworks. The winery, restaurant and historic sightseeing advice was right on target for us. We meet other fantastic travelers at the B&B, it seemed like everyone was having a great time. The newly renovated James Madison Suite was spacious, beautiful and comfortable. I would highly recommend this B&B for anyone wanting to visit the many historical sites and wineries in the area.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple