Ascot Motor Inn
Hotel Ibis Thornleigh(Thornleigh)(Great Value!)
US$95
  • Restaurant
Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde(North Ryde)
US$114
US$116
US$94
US$113
US$96
Meriton Suites North Ryde(North Ryde)(Great Value!)
US$118
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Express Sydney Macquarie Park(Macquarie Park)(Great Value!)
US$126
  • Breakfast included
US$118
US$95
  • Pool
Courtyard by Marriott Sydney-North Ryde(North Ryde)(Great Value!)
US$136
Courtyard
  • Room Service
Quest North Ryde(North Ryde)(Great Value!)
US$121
  • Restaurant
All reviewswould stay againbasic roomstayed one nighthandy locationvending machinericebit dated
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 July 2012

As accommodation goes, this was very basic and for me does not represent good value when I've since discovered you can get a modern & spacious serviced apartment nearby for the same price, if not less.

I stayed in a standard room - yes the place is very dated, not in itself a problem, but my room was almost unventilated bar a tiny window in the bathroom, the smoke alarm had been pulled down by a previous guest and the whole place reeked like an ashtray. The bed was right by a giant window (not that could be opened), so that your fellow guests with just enough class to smoke on the landings can shuffle back and forth staring you in the face unless you keep the curtains closed tight the entire time you're in the room.

The reception staff were perfunctory and not overly personable, so I didn't put them to the test beyond checking in. The pool was out of action and not much looked like it was being done about it. An overall depressing and faintly sinister vibe, but on the plus side the Indian restaurant is quite good.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Miriam E
Reviewed 9 July 2012 via mobile

The rooms are very dated and not very clean (rubbish on floor, mould to bathroom).
Not the worst hotel I've ever stayed in, but close.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Alex_Roach
Reviewed 19 May 2012

The place was ok. However I rung in advance to ask for two things - a queen sized bed and if possible, a room on the ground floor. The person over the phone said yes to both. When I arrived, I paid for the room, then found that I was given a double bed on the 1st floor. As I said, the place was ok but........

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rotech70
Reviewed 16 May 2012

it was a pleasant stay for me. the room was ok, the good looking young receptionist was very polite and helpful, i wish all the motels has a receptionist like that. the restaurant was also great! good indian food! it was very authentic!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Stayed here for one night with a colleague for business reasons. Having read the reviews the night before I packed a spare pillow case just in case and feared for the worst!!

The room was not as bad as I thought, it was clean, beds comfortable and the room was a good size with one queen and one single bed. The bathroom was small but clean, shower pressure was good. The room did smell a little musty, but the window in the bedroom could not be opened, so only a small window in the bathroom allowed ventilation. I think management are aware of this and they tend to leave the doors open to the rooms when no one is staying in there. But you only noted the smell when you first walked in and it was not strong enought to note once you were in the room. There was also a nice flat screet tv on the wall. I noted the walls had been repainted in modern colours.

Breakfast was simple (toast and honey) and a toaster was bought into the room promptly at the requested time (if not earlier) so that we could make our own toast and ensure it was hot and to our liking. I was surprised there was no jam offered, only vegemite, honey or marmalade. Not a big deal though. My colleague dined at the restaurant the night before and said that it was good, with attentive service.

Now to the not so good aspects, the walls are very thin and the motel is located on a busy road so you do get a bit of street noise. The motel was very busy on a weeknight and the worst part of the thin walls was that we could hear our neighbours - and they werent just talking if you know what I mean! That was rather unpleasant.

We had dinner in nearby Hornsby ($10 cab ride) at Thai tables which was very very good. It took about 35 mins to drive to Dee Why - beach area.

For $110 for two people for one night, you get what you expect. I think the owners are trying here. But its not really as bad as people said, and I appreciate 5 star hotels as much as the rest of us. This is a practical place to stay if you need to be in the area and want a budget stay for a short time.

Room Tip: There are no lifts, so if you have trouble carrying luggage, ask for a ground floor room. There are three floors in all.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business