Childers Gateway Motor Inn
US$85
US$90
Hotels.com
Tropical Gardens Motor Inn(Bundaberg)(Great Value!)
Priceline
  • Pool
US$103
US$85
US$86
US$91
US$88
Charm City Motel(Bundaberg)(Great Value!)
US$82
Takalvan Motel(Bundaberg)
US$102
US$96
Agoda.com
Bundaberg Spanish Motor Inn(Bundaberg)(Great Value!)
US$83
All reviewsroom was cleanarrived lateplenty of parkingstay there againbaby cotboth timesbooked onlinemy elderly motherroad tripnice poolmain streetextra pillowsfree wifilong drivegeoffbrisbanemotel
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I stayed at this motel out of desperation - I had a migraine and was too ill to continue driving to the next pet friendly motel 60kms further down the highway...IN HINDSIGHT THIS WAS A MISTAKE! With no sleep I felt sicker leaving the motel than when I arrived.

This is my edited review; I removed my original review after an intimidating phone call from Jeff, the owner. The only way I could edit a review as requested by Jeff was to remove the original and then re-post.

I arrived at the motel "on the point of collapse" as Jeff pointed out. Jeff offered to accommodate me (and accepted my cash!!!) but threatened if my dog stepped inside or barked, I would be asked to leave immediately. I was given Room 2, 50-75m off the Bruce Highway, next to the pool. It was EXCESSIVELY noisy from road traffic (ALL night) and guests in the pool. I also had a very noisy guest talking and laughing loudly in the car park, early in the evening and again later. I did not get ANY sleep due to the road noise - that was my experience.

Room 2 smelt like a public toilet, from highly perfumed deodorisers, plus stale tobacco and body odour. That was my experience ...

I had an infestation of ants in the room.

NO, I definitely wouldn't stay here again (even without my pet) not because of the negative things I experienced but because of the intimidating phone call I received from Jeff and the accusations he made after I posted my original review.

Jeff accused me of hiding behind Trip Advisor in posting my review of MY EXPERIENCE staying at his motel. This is not the case - my comments were not malicious but a reflection of my experience as per my signed (ticked) conditional acceptance of placing a posting on Trip Advisor. I stayed at 3 other 'similar' motels on the Bruce Highway on my way south and had a very positive experience at each and will stay at all three of them on my way north.

Jeff also accused me of not telling the full story. In the original review I omitted any mention of having my dog with me as Jeff had told me he could get into serious trouble, even shut down if the authorities knew there had been a dog on the premises. I was not meaning to "hide" only I didn't want to cause "trouble".

So the full story is ...

I had the room door open from arrival to leaving so my dog who is normally an inside lap-dog could see me (and not panic) and I could control him if he barked as I feared we could be evicted.

According to Jeff, the room was only noisy as I had the door open all night. Previous reviews also mention excessive road noise. In order to reduce the noise I would have had to use the AC all night which is something I haven't had to do at the other 3 previous motels on my trip down from Cairns. Even in Cairns I don't sleep with an AC.

I also had the door open because of the room smell. While I did have a migraine and felt nauseous on arrival, the smell in the room was the last straw.

Jeff stated he didn't sleep a wink that night "in fear the dog would raise a complaint" from other guests as he barked (when Jeff walked past my room to clean the pool and when his daughter stood at my car window to talk to the dog). My dog isn't a nuisance barker - he barks to say hello to people or to warn me of 'danger approaching'. He barks as he can't 'talk'.

The ants appeared in my room shortly after I made a cup of tea and poached eggs and toast. They proceeded to set up a nest in my luggage as well as outside in my pets bedding. Jeff's wife came immediately and sprayed them. She said it "had never happened before" and it was because I had food in the room yet there were obvious nests in the paving outside Room 1 & 2 and in the gardens. As Jeff reminded me - ants are common in the tropics. All I am saying is that was my experience ... including the way in which Jeff and his wife spoke to me!

I had driven Cairns to Childers (on my way to Brisbane) stopping overnight every ~350kms at pet friendly motels (one not pet-friendly but willing to accommodate my dog without question or threat).

As Jeff reminded me on the phone, he and his wife kindly took me in when I was feeling like death but in hindsight they would have been just as kind to turn me away as the other Childers motel owners did graciously.

So my experience staying at Gateway Childers was TERRIBLE but worst was the phone call because I had posted my experience.

BTW Jeff stated that if I had voiced my concerns to him (rather than hide behind Trip Advisor), he would gladly have given me a refund as he "has done for other unsatisfied guests". Is that why there aren't more negative postings? Jeff, all I wanted was a good night's sleep - I was happy to pay for that even though your tariff was the most expensive on the trip down.

Room Tip: definitely NOT ROOMS 1-4 as too close to the highway. Family room is the furthest from the highway.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Helen L
ChildersGateway, Owner at Childers Gateway Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

We want to start by saying that we cannot believe we have received this review from someone who was in “DESPERATE” need of help and was provided that help graciously.

Geoff did call this guest after the initial review on TripAdvisor as we were concerned that she had not stated all the facts about her stay and as a general courtesy and follow up. Her initial TripAdvisor review did not mention at all;

1. Her dog, which caused her to keep the door open for her entire stay.
2. Her sickness/migraine

These vital components are the main reasons for her comments on noise and smell.

We will give our version of events and not comment further.

Firstly when Banjo_BlondeNomad arrived she said that she was going to pass out and no one else in Childers would accept her due to her dog; she was, “on the point of collapse” and the dog was barking worriedly in the car. Out of concern, not only for her but for others on the road, Geoff allowed her to stay although we are not a pet friendly motel. This was done under the condition that the dog was not to bark (so as not to disturb other guests) and was to remain outside the room. We have had guests previously who have left their dogs securely outside with the same conditions and have not had any problems.

In regards to “road noise”, our motel is situated on the Bruce highway making it an easy to get to and convenient stop for guests travelling up the coast. Banjo_BlondeNomad slept with the door open, all night, at times resting in the doorway beside her dog; this would certainly contribute to an uncomfortable night’s sleep (or not “ANY’ sleep).

Banjo_BlondeNomad mentions noise from other guests. Our experience suggests “talking and laughing” guests indicate they are having a happy and enjoyable stay. Please also note that the pool closes at 9.00pm and there were NO guests at the pool after 4.00pm that day.

Banjo_BlondeNomad, you said yourself that you had a migraine, so any smells would have been intensified and nauseating to you. Our rooms certainly do not smell “like a public toilet” (which was not mentioned in your initial review) and the rooms are non-smoking – there is no smell of tobacco. We constantly get comments on how clean our motel is.

I don’t know how ants can set up a colony in your luggage in the short time you were here but they were certainly not living in the room, which you have stated “The ants appeared in my room shortly after I made a cup of tea and poached eggs and toast”. Please note that the door was constantly open.

As we do for all our guests, we endeavoured to make Banjo_BlondeNomad’s stay comfortable. Given that it was a very warm night we gave her our family’s only oscillating fan (again you chose to omit this), as she would not close the door and put the air conditioner on because she had to be in sight of her dog outside.

Banjo_BlondeNomad actually said she was feeling better when I was putting the fan in her room and I expressed that I was happy that she was better. Her original post had said that she had received excellent customer service from us but she has now decided to change her opinion.

Working in hospitality we understand that when guests travel plans do not go accordingly it can affect their view/experience on everything. As you have stated this is ‘Your Experience’ and not a general indication of our other guests experiences. Unfortunately what Banjo_BlondeNomad does not understand is that she has left us with a ‘Terrible’ rating on TripAdvisor which is unwarranted and definitely undeserving considering the service she was given.

For anyone on TripAdvisor that would like more clarification, please feel free to contact us for a further explanation and references from other satisfied guests.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Stayed at this motel again on our road trip up north. Had a family room this time. Plenty of room. Clean and comfortable. Had the same room on our return trip back home. Ordered the mega breakfast. Yum. Good value for money. New people have taken over. Very friendly and helpful. We will stay again next time in area.

Room Tip: If travelling with kids or teenagers the family room has a separate room with two single beds air con and there own tv.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Sandra P
ChildersGateway, Owner at Childers Gateway Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Thank you for your review. It was a pleasure having you stay with us and talking to you about your families experience in hospitality.
We look forward to having you stay again.

Reviewed 10 January 2014

After getting east directions over the phone when booking we easily located the motel (at the southern end of town) we received a very friendly greeting at reception and went to our room. It was quite large and very clean and tidy. After driving a full day we went straight to the pool which was very well kept and spent an hour or so relaxing in the water. We went into Childers to get some dinner (though cooked meals are available, and smelled great, we were too late to order) and had some great takeaway pizza from Behan's Bar & Grill in the main street. A good selection of takeaway menus was available in the room.
The shower was lovely and the wall mounted soap, shampoo & conditioner dispenser was full and worked well, the lavender wash was very nice as a fragrance too.
There was some traffic noise (as some other reviews have mentioned) but it was barely noticeable and didn't interfere with a great night's sleep. Air con worked well and the room was lovely and cool.
We left before reception opened and dropped our key in the box. A very convenient place to stay, well kept and a reasonable competitive price.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sarinapixie
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed at the Childers Gateway Motor Inn as a stop over on the drive from Mackay to Brisbane. We have stayed here before and found the rooms to be spotlessly clean and the owners to be very helpful and friendly. Very helpful advice on what was open in town for a meal. Unfortunately the box air cons in the family rooms are in desparete need of upgrading to split systems. The kids bedroom did not blow any cold air and we had to pull out the filter out on the main room to get enough cool air to cool both rooms. Box air cons were a hit back in the 70s, but are not acceptable in Motels anymore, as they are noisy and inefficient. We will not be back unless the air cons are upgraded to split systems.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2013

The bathroom does not have a bath but the shower has great pressure.

It is clean and neat.

Your sleep will be disturbed with traffic noise, I have an ipod that has a sound masker and I used that.

The bed is not wonderful but it won't cripple you, unlike the Arkana in Maryborough.

Microwave in the room.