“Economy bush accommodation in brilliant form!”
Review of Tanglewood Gardens

Tanglewood Gardens
Burleigh Heads, Australia
“Economy bush accommodation in brilliant form!”
Reviewed 25 December 2013

P & K Harris:

If you come to Tanglewood Gardens expecting a 5-star Hilton experience then frankly you're pretty deluded. This is economy bush cabin accommodation in fine form, and you need to give allowances when you stay here.

Tanglewood may not be perfect (as most of these negative reviewers are obviously expecting perfection for a 3.5 star rating) but Tanglewood makes up for it in spades with value for money and a hell of a lot of character! We had 9 people staying in the largest Queenslander house (a 100 year old piece of history, in amazing condition for its age!) for $265 a night - you won't find prices like that anywhere else on the mountain.

We had clean and comfortable bedding, a spring water dispenser, there is a fireplace and provided firewood during wintertime (which we have done around May time - just delightful!), foxtel tv, swing chairs and BBQ on the verandah - as well as a pool, sauna and spa for communual facilities. Spot the resident chickens and guinea fowl that roam the grounds too!

If you are up for a 'bush adventure' than Tanglewood is the place for you! My family and I have been here twice now and can't wait to go back again - sunset wines and cheese on deck, breakfast with the birds - all within 10 minutes of the Montville strip and Maplelton shops for any extra needs you have.

Highly recommended and great value for money!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank AirTester

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Dalby, Australia
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Thank you for your lovely retreat. It was brilliant to stay in the old Queenslander where my daughter and her wedding party could spend some down time together and prepare for the wedding. The Tanglewood staff are brilliant in how they meet your requests.

Great value for money.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 November 2013

This is our second trip to Tanglewood which is now our "regular romance spot".Anne the owner was wonderful giving us a special for regulars price and a bottle of wine on arrival!The staff are wonderful,will respecting our privacy.The room was lovely and clean.It smelt beautiful and gave us everything and more to make our 2nd anniversary.Thank you Anne and staff for our unforgetable experiance and for going the extra mile for us.We highly recomend Tanglewood and will be back!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Vung Tau, Vietnam
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I try to always be fair and not difficult no matter where I go, dining or staying over. But, I cant overlook some really basic disappointments with our stay at Tanglewood. My partner and I stayed at Tanglewood for 1 night and had we booked for any more, I simply would have left.
When we arrived we were pointed in the direction to our cabin. It has a woods/rainforest appeal so you expect it to be rustic, but rustic turned out to be dirty, smelly and just plain bad!
As we walked down our little path to our cabin, the path was covered in leaves. Leaves billowed around the front door also. Knowing that we were checking in (we booked a week in advance) you would think just a little tidy up in front of cabin would be welcoming. The chairs and table outside dirty/dusty and just not inviting. Again, a quick wipe for your arriving guests.
Upon entering, the smell was just bad. Old carpet and old timber just contributed to a musty stale smell. Later that afternoon, my partner wanted to watch the cricket and remote control didn't work. I went down to reception and got new batteries.
Breakfast in the morning we decided to cook eggs and bacon on the barbeque. No gas! (Each cabin has a small BBQ) We called and asked could we use the gas bottle from the vacant cabin next door. We tried but that gas bottle was empty too. We gave up and cooked on the stove. No one checked to see if we got sorted ok. This was the first time we used the kitchenette. We were told upon checking in that we had to leave it clean which wasn't a problem. Until I saw the following,
1. The microwave was dirty. Food stuck to the walls of the Microwave.
2. A filthy set of tongs in the utensil drawer that had been used and simply put in the drawer after use.
3. The cupboard that housed the toaster was covered in bread crumbs. (I wiped that out before I left as I used the toaster)
4. The toaster was cover in crumbs and soiled
5. The tablecloth was so old and dirty it was stained and had actual food stuck to it from previous guests.

Absolutely everything I have mentioned here is small yet as you group them it then is a bigger problem. Almost everything above could have been avoided at no cost to the owner except some elbow grease and attention to detail.
We paid $150.00 for one night

We not recommend to anyone at all.
A shame the reception was locked at 10.00am Sunday morning when I checked out as I would have discussed our tariff, instead I took the time to write a review.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank michellou

Travellers are raving about these Mapleton hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

What a disappointment! The website looked fantastic, but the place itself was shabby, with a midge infested pool next to our cabin. We were shoved into our cabin, with no explanation of the facilities, or information in our room. The owner then disappeared behind locked doors and was most reluctant to help us at all. It felt as if they were happy to take our money but didn't want to do anything that interfered with their lives at all. Don't stay there

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank mr1950
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Some friends an I stayed at tanglewood gardens for a wedding. The room was lovely and clean, the grounds were beautiful and the staff were very friendly. We only stayed one night but I wish we had stayed longer. I would definitely stay he again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Perfect location for a family on a budget holiday. Wonderful experience every time we visit Tanglewood Gardens. Perfectly located, the grounds are a wonder to explore for both adults and children with the rainforest walks. Top notch service. Such a pleasant experience for the whole family it is now our number 1 destination to go to when we think holidays.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mapleton
Kondalilla Eco Resort
Peppertree Cottage
Peppertree Cottage
#3 of 5 in Flaxton
Mapleton Cabins & Caravan Park

Been to Tanglewood Gardens? Share your experiences!