“Disappointing Experience”
Review of Tanglewood Gardens

Tanglewood Gardens
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We booked 2 nights in the Rainforest Cabin. A very dated & dingy room and a musty odour. The facilities are completely shocking, they have obviously not been maintained to a useable standard. Would not recommend paying $155 a night to stay here.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Crstud

Reviewed 21 February 2014

My partner and I had a wonderful stay in the Rainforest Cabin was one of the best places we stay in long time The Tangle wood staff are brilliant The gardens are clean and the Spa very hot the cabin was very clean plus we had late checkout definitely recommended

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SarahG3037HK
Reviewed 19 February 2014

My husband and I organised to stay at the Tanglewood Gardens on Valentine's Day evening (14/02/2014) as we began our road trip up north. We booked 1 night in the Rainforest Cabin which was advertised on their website as "Rainforest cabins allow for maximum privacy, located deep in the rainforest and separate from other rainforest cabins." As it was Valentine's Day the promise of seclusion and privacy was really important and the idea of being far away in a rainforest was wonderful. This place had fairly good reviews on tripadvisor and also on booking.com so I felt confident in my choice. But boy was I wrong. We arrived that evening and was given a key and a map and told to follow the drive way down and we'd find our place. I was really dissappointed that it was so close to the main road. But nevertheless, we continued on and went to unlock our "Rainforest Cabin" door and to our dismay was literally hit in the face with the same of mildew/ damp. It was disgusting. We quickly tried to open some windows to air it out but the place was so poorly maintained that all of the windows had no intentions of budging. In terms of "seperate from all other cabins and secluded" I could literally open a window and reach out to another cabin - come on, secluded - are you serious?

The lay out of the room wasn't too bad - the air con was an absolute joke - the poor little thing was clearly older than myself and needed to be replaced. Not to worry we thought - there's a ceiling fan! It didn't work! Great, let's get showered and ready and head off to dinner. The shower was horrible, had some disgusting slimey residue on the floor and it took at least 20 minutes for the hot water to come through. Went out and had a lovely dinner, came back to our room of hell and got into bed - clearly this bed has been in this room since the 80s as we lay there sinking into this horrible mattress with springs digging into us we noticed dozens of spider webs on the ceiling, rust and mould.

This place has so much potential but clearly is owned by people that don't care or are simply dirty and have no intention to provide any standard of cleanliness or hospitality. For $155 we were expecting at least something clean but apparently if you can take the right photos and market it a certain way you can get away with anything. Extremely annoyed that we were robbed $155 - would have prefered to sleep in the car.

Now I understand that there are a lot of reviews that praise this place - maybe you were staying in a different room/ location/ facility but if you were to consider staying in a "Rainforest Cabin" here I would slap you across the face and tell you to think again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Katie M
Reviewed 25 December 2013

P & K Harris:

If you come to Tanglewood Gardens expecting a 5-star Hilton experience then frankly you're pretty deluded. This is economy bush cabin accommodation in fine form, and you need to give allowances when you stay here.

Tanglewood may not be perfect (as most of these negative reviewers are obviously expecting perfection for a 3.5 star rating) but Tanglewood makes up for it in spades with value for money and a hell of a lot of character! We had 9 people staying in the largest Queenslander house (a 100 year old piece of history, in amazing condition for its age!) for $265 a night - you won't find prices like that anywhere else on the mountain.

We had clean and comfortable bedding, a spring water dispenser, there is a fireplace and provided firewood during wintertime (which we have done around May time - just delightful!), foxtel tv, swing chairs and BBQ on the verandah - as well as a pool, sauna and spa for communual facilities. Spot the resident chickens and guinea fowl that roam the grounds too!

If you are up for a 'bush adventure' than Tanglewood is the place for you! My family and I have been here twice now and can't wait to go back again - sunset wines and cheese on deck, breakfast with the birds - all within 10 minutes of the Montville strip and Maplelton shops for any extra needs you have.

Highly recommended and great value for money!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AirTester
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Thank you for your lovely retreat. It was brilliant to stay in the old Queenslander where my daughter and her wedding party could spend some down time together and prepare for the wedding. The Tanglewood staff are brilliant in how they meet your requests.

Great value for money.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 November 2013

This is our second trip to Tanglewood which is now our "regular romance spot".Anne the owner was wonderful giving us a special for regulars price and a bottle of wine on arrival!The staff are wonderful,will respecting our privacy.The room was lovely and clean.It smelt beautiful and gave us everything and more to make our 2nd anniversary.Thank you Anne and staff for our unforgetable experiance and for going the extra mile for us.We highly recomend Tanglewood and will be back!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I try to always be fair and not difficult no matter where I go, dining or staying over. But, I cant overlook some really basic disappointments with our stay at Tanglewood. My partner and I stayed at Tanglewood for 1 night and had we booked for any more, I simply would have left.
When we arrived we were pointed in the direction to our cabin. It has a woods/rainforest appeal so you expect it to be rustic, but rustic turned out to be dirty, smelly and just plain bad!
As we walked down our little path to our cabin, the path was covered in leaves. Leaves billowed around the front door also. Knowing that we were checking in (we booked a week in advance) you would think just a little tidy up in front of cabin would be welcoming. The chairs and table outside dirty/dusty and just not inviting. Again, a quick wipe for your arriving guests.
Upon entering, the smell was just bad. Old carpet and old timber just contributed to a musty stale smell. Later that afternoon, my partner wanted to watch the cricket and remote control didn't work. I went down to reception and got new batteries.
Breakfast in the morning we decided to cook eggs and bacon on the barbeque. No gas! (Each cabin has a small BBQ) We called and asked could we use the gas bottle from the vacant cabin next door. We tried but that gas bottle was empty too. We gave up and cooked on the stove. No one checked to see if we got sorted ok. This was the first time we used the kitchenette. We were told upon checking in that we had to leave it clean which wasn't a problem. Until I saw the following,
1. The microwave was dirty. Food stuck to the walls of the Microwave.
2. A filthy set of tongs in the utensil drawer that had been used and simply put in the drawer after use.
3. The cupboard that housed the toaster was covered in bread crumbs. (I wiped that out before I left as I used the toaster)
4. The toaster was cover in crumbs and soiled
5. The tablecloth was so old and dirty it was stained and had actual food stuck to it from previous guests.

Absolutely everything I have mentioned here is small yet as you group them it then is a bigger problem. Almost everything above could have been avoided at no cost to the owner except some elbow grease and attention to detail.
We paid $150.00 for one night

We not recommend to anyone at all.
A shame the reception was locked at 10.00am Sunday morning when I checked out as I would have discussed our tariff, instead I took the time to write a review.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank michellou
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mapleton
Kondalilla Eco Resort
#1 of 1 in Hunchy
Treetops Montville
Treetops Montville
#6 of 14 in Montville

Been to Tanglewood Gardens? Share your experiences!