We booked our trip to Kangaroo Island at quite short notice so didn't do as much research as usual regarding where to stay. We opted for All Seasons Kangaroo Island Lodge for 3 nights, as it was one of those advertised on the Kangaroo Island Tourism website. We weren't disappointed. On arrival, a very warm welcome awaited us and we were shown to our room. Although we had booked a Pool Room, we were taken to a Seaview Room. This was a really good size, with a large comfortable bed, plenty of storage space, TV, tea and coffee making facilities, fridge, microwave, sink, crockery, cutlery and utensils, + iron and ironing board in the wardrobe. The shower room appeared to have been fairly recently refurbished and although rather on the small side, was perfectly adequate, with a plentiful supply of hot water. Sliding doors, with mesh screen, led onto a small patio with wonderful views across the bay. There were a few ants in the room, but a large can of bug spray was provided, and this quickly sorted the problem. Overall, we were very impressed.
As there were very few eating places in the locality, we opted to have dinner in the hotel restaurant each evening. The food was wonderful – tasty and well presented, with plenty of choice. Breakfast was also very good and the cooked breakfast kept us going all day. All of the staff were polite, friendly and very helpful. The hotel will organise trips if requested and as our hire car was not insured between dusk and dawn, we opted for the Evening Excursion to Penneshaw to see the Little Penguins. It transpired that January was not really a good time to see them and that it was likely that we would only see a handful. However, our driver made a point of stopping off both on the way there and back, so that we could see Kangaroos out and about, and marvel at the night sky away from any back-light.
KI Lodge is ideally placed if you are looking to Bush Walk and have a keen interest in flora and fauna. The Pelicans and Black Swans at the quay are amazing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kangaroo Island, one of Australia's great wilderness destinations, is best known for its magnificent coastal views, unique landscapes, uncrowded beaches and fascinating wildlife, including kangaroos, wallabies, koalas, Australian sea-lions, New Zealand fur seals and Little penguins. Kangaroo Island is a place of natural beauty and a place to escape. Kangaroo Island Lodge is situated on the banks of Eastern Cove in American River, with all rooms perfectly perched offering exceptional water views over the bay. Amid lush coastal vegetation, Kangaroo Island Lodge blends in with its natural surroundings. There is no better place to unwind and to enjoy the peace and tranquility. The seclusion of this area allows for the abundance of wildlife to roam free. Tammar wallabies, brush tailed possums, black swans, Cape Barren geese, Australian pelicans and the rare and endangered glossy black cockatoos can all be found in here. The outer bay of Eastern Cove offers excellent sailing and fishing in protected waters. The Kangaroo Island oyster industry is also located in American River, with the Oyster Shed located just down the road from the Kangaroo Island Lodge. If you are a keen walker, there are two main walking tracks, the Independence Trail and the Fish Cannery walk. Both walks meander through the natural coastal scrub where numerous species of wildlife and birdlife can be seen. So why not come and escape to the Kangaroo Island Lodge? ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Ebookers and Cancelon so you can book your Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel All Seasons Kangaroo Island American River
- Kangaroo Island Hotel
- Kangaroo Island American River
- Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge American River