Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Casuarina Coastal Units(American River)
  • Free Internet
View Hotel
Kangaroo Island Seaside Inn(Kingscote)
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
  • Pool
Hotel Victor(Victor Harbor)
  • Restaurant
All reviewskangaroo islandnespresso machinetv receptionscallopsblack swanswater pressurewine listbreakfast and dinnerrooms are largecomfy bedgreat place to stayquiet locationpleasant staypool viewgreat restaurantstayed nightsday tour
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Don't expect European style hotel quality here. Installations and furniture are more on par with USA motels and also is the breakfast. But do expect even higher prices than London or Paris. Anyway, the place is ok. We had a room with views to the lake and waking up there was really special. We also have dinner there two nights. Well there are not a lot of alternatives in the area. American River is not a proper town, so the only alternative is drive more than 20 km to find another place, but the dinners exceeded absolutely our expectations. The food was really tasty and well presented. And they were really helpful with some food allergies we have. Positive overall experience

Room Tip: Ask for a superior room facing the lake and ask the staff for a torch at dusk to watch the hundreds of wallabies in the car park
Reviewed 10 April 2013

This is a lovely hotel in a lovely location. The rooms are comfortable and well appointed with an amazing view across the lagoon. Everything is just as one would expect from a Mecure, having stayed in their hotels around the world on many occasions. All set for a nice, quiet, happy overnight stay with my wife. So far, so good.

Then we were taken to our room. It was nice enough, but it definitely was NOT the room I had booked online. I know the type of room I wanted and actually got into the Mecure website rather than an agent's website so as to ensure there was no confusion. This cost me an extra $20 for the room, but I figured it was worth it. My wife and I have been "gazumped" by such agency booking shenanigans before, and we did not want to "go there" again.

The room I had booked, and indeed the photo on the web site said it was a "balcony room". I respectfully told the young woman that this was not the room I booked, as I had booked a "balcony room". As this was on the ground floor with the screen door directly leading onto the road about 10 metres away, it most certainly was not the room that was represented to me online, and was not the room I had booked.

She responded by saying "yes it is". I responded back by saying "no it isn't, I booked a balcony room". All I got back was a laugh and a trite "yes it is". I asked the young lady if she was going to insist that I was lying about my booking, to which she responded by saying "do you have proof"?

I knew there was no more that could be discussed with this lady, so I asked her if we could be moved or somehow upgraded to a balcony room. She responded by laughing once again and saying that there were no more balcony rooms as "the hotel was full".

My wife and I were aghast. There were about three cars parked outside. We could see for ourselves that there were a number of dark, vacant rooms with balconies. He assertion of a "full hotel" simply was not true.

I went and had a look around and spoke to another guest who was moving in at the same time. She told me that she had also been treated with disdain by the "weekend reception manager" with the over-inflated sense of power and importance. She told me that she had also been given a "lesser" room to what she had booked, and that she had been "spoken down" to as well when questioned about it. She told me she witnessed another guest also receiving similar "treatment" when he tried to organise something to drink.

I also noticed a significant number of empty balcony rooms.

So, my question is thus. Why would you treat your guests in such a manner? The young woman was quite lofty and immature in her displays of "superiority" and "power" over the guests, which made at least the four of us that I personally noticed feel quite unwelcomed. Not a good look for a hotel purporting to be one of the "premium" accommodations on the island, I would think.

I eventually convinced the woman to "upgrade" us into a balcony room. Yup, that's right. One of the rooms that they didn't have available because the hotel was "full" and all the rooms had been "taken".

Go figure.

So, lovely place, clean, great views, quiet and a great place for a nice stay in Kangaroo Island. Except of course if you go there for the weekend and catch the "weekend reception manager" strutting her stuff!

Four stars for the hotel, minus three for the appalling behaviour! Get with it you guys, premium accommodation is about much more than just the "bed and bathroom". Service and attitude can make a great place live infamously as a "dump" in the minds of their guests!

Room Tip: If you book a room with a balcony make sure you actually get one!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank EljayAdelaide
Reviewed 5 April 2013

Location: 3.5 - There's not much going on in American River - so if you stay here, be prepared that there is only one gas station and one general store next to each other that closes at 6pm. If you need gas or food after that, you gotta drive to penneshaw or kingscote. Beyond that, the location is cool. The bay across and an outdoor pool behind. All the rooms are on the same floor and is more similar to a motel except car parking is across the street.

Room: 4 - It's dated and the paint is coming off of everything (towel racks are rusty). The room, however, is bright and clean. A bar with a sink, toaster, and hot water kettle. Instant coffee and tea is provided. Milk in the fridge. Quite good.

WiFi 4/5: Available and great reception if you are in the lobby or close to the lobby. $5 to get their password for the duration of your stay. Unfortunately the lobby closes after 9pm so if your room is not close enough then you will have to sit by the pool that's next to the lobby.

Service 5/5: The girl who is also the server for the restaurant who received us was really friendly and answered my billion questions.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay!

Room Tip: Ask to stay close to the lobby if you want wifi from the room
1  Thank lynnie_poops
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Great people, location, room, and food.
Wonderfully friendly and very helpful staff.
American River is a gorgeous location with abundant bird life and good fishing opportunities.
Enjoyed our stay immensely. Cheers, M&J

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed 2 April 2013

A nice quiet refurbished resort with an excellent location with views over the bay. The food was great and the staff very friendly. (we found the bed a little too firm but maybe that was just our room).
Can recommend a stay here and Kangaroo Island has wonderful scenery and is a get place for a restful escape away from the "mainland'.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family