“Brickbats and Bouquets”

Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in American River
Reviewed 8 May 2013

This establishment attracts brickbats and bouquests in almost equal proportions. On arrival we were told that there was no booking for us despite the fact we had a confirmation. It transpired that our booking had been incorrectly recorded. As they were full we were given accommodation next door for our first night. Staff were most apologetic and we were given a room upgrade to a self contained Studio and some free meals for the inconvenience. The room was well appointed with nice furnishings and a balcony overlooking Newland Bay. The only cooking facilities consisted of a microwave for which there was no cookware. Because the hire car companies actively discourage driving at night, severe insurance penalties apply for night time accidents, the Mecure is the only place at American River to eat at night. Fortunately they currently have a very good european chef and the dining room serves excellent meals, their Kangaroo and King George Whiting dishes were standouts. This could be expensive if you had family or were staying for an extended period. Unfortunately breakfast was chaos, there appeared to be only one person cooking and maintaining self serve items, consequently people were continually looking for bread, fruit, coffee etc. Good quality wifi was available in the Lobby / Bar area. The friendly and helpful staff made it a pleasant stay despite the problems.

Reviewed 1 May 2013

Nothing really wrong with the property. Question the destination!! Kangaroo Island = wild life ?? We have more native birds in suburban Melbourne, Pelicans @ Black rock , Kangaroos @ Cardinia . Not sure if we would return to the island- felt "the Island" was over marketed for what it had to offer.

Room Tip: No biscuits in room with coffee etc.
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Clean and reasonably presented, however the room and fixtures were quite dated and the plumbing/water pressure in the shower left a great deal to be desired. Our room overlooked the road, which was not a problem, but was also located near a pump which was noisy from early in the morning.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed 24 April 2013

This is a lovely hotel in the quiet town of American River. We stayed in a Studio room, which had a handy small fridge and microwave. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was more than adequate. Staff were friendly. The restaurant made an excellent dinner; yes, it was pricier than the mainland but that's the case through most of KI.

Reviewed 23 April 2013

Even the Standard room was very pleasant. Older room with some old fixtures but very nice all the same. Great view from the room overlooking the pool area and bay.
The location is great for a base to rest of island or just a quiet getaway. Not many facilities in American River but restaurant was excellent for evening meals in particular.
Only down-side was two experiences with a front-desk person who was very inflexible with rules on check-out and refused to try to correct the method of payment. Thankfully General manager stepped in to sort out the issue. Then front-desk again were very tardy in fulfilling their promise to post an item mistakenly left in the room. had to follow-up .twice.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Don't expect European style hotel quality here. Installations and furniture are more on par with USA motels and also is the breakfast. But do expect even higher prices than London or Paris. Anyway, the place is ok. We had a room with views to the lake and waking up there was really special. We also have dinner there two nights. Well there are not a lot of alternatives in the area. American River is not a proper town, so the only alternative is drive more than 20 km to find another place, but the dinners exceeded absolutely our expectations. The food was really tasty and well presented. And they were really helpful with some food allergies we have. Positive overall experience

Room Tip: Ask for a superior room facing the lake and ask the staff for a torch at dusk to watch the hundreds...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2013

This is a lovely hotel in a lovely location. The rooms are comfortable and well appointed with an amazing view across the lagoon. Everything is just as one would expect from a Mecure, having stayed in their hotels around the world on many occasions. All set for a nice, quiet, happy overnight stay with my wife. So far, so good.

Then we were taken to our room. It was nice enough, but it definitely was NOT the room I had booked online. I know the type of room I wanted and actually got into the Mecure website rather than an agent's website so as to ensure there was no confusion. This cost me an extra $20 for the room, but I figured it was worth it. My wife and I have been "gazumped" by such agency booking shenanigans before, and we did not want to "go there" again.

The room I had booked, and indeed the photo on the web site said it was a "balcony room". I respectfully told the young woman that this was not the room I booked, as I had booked a "balcony room". As this was on the ground floor with the screen door directly leading onto the road about 10 metres away, it most certainly was not the room that was represented to me online, and was not the room I had booked.

She responded by saying "yes it is". I responded back by saying "no it isn't, I booked a balcony room". All I got back was a laugh and a trite "yes it is". I asked the young lady if she was going to insist that I was lying about my booking, to which she responded by saying "do you have proof"?

I knew there was no more that could be discussed with this lady, so I asked her if we could be moved or somehow upgraded to a balcony room. She responded by laughing once again and saying that there were no more balcony rooms as "the hotel was full".

My wife and I were aghast. There were about three cars parked outside. We could see for ourselves that there were a number of dark, vacant rooms with balconies. He assertion of a "full hotel" simply was not true.

I went and had a look around and spoke to another guest who was moving in at the same time. She told me that she had also been treated with disdain by the "weekend reception manager" with the over-inflated sense of power and importance. She told me that she had also been given a "lesser" room to what she had booked, and that she had been "spoken down" to as well when questioned about it. She told me she witnessed another guest also receiving similar "treatment" when he tried to organise something to drink.

I also noticed a significant number of empty balcony rooms.

So, my question is thus. Why would you treat your guests in such a manner? The young woman was quite lofty and immature in her displays of "superiority" and "power" over the guests, which made at least the four of us that I personally noticed feel quite unwelcomed. Not a good look for a hotel purporting to be one of the "premium" accommodations on the island, I would think.

I eventually convinced the woman to "upgrade" us into a balcony room. Yup, that's right. One of the rooms that they didn't have available because the hotel was "full" and all the rooms had been "taken".

Go figure.

So, lovely place, clean, great views, quiet and a great place for a nice stay in Kangaroo Island. Except of course if you go there for the weekend and catch the "weekend reception manager" strutting her stuff!

Four stars for the hotel, minus three for the appalling behaviour! Get with it you guys, premium accommodation is about much more than just the "bed and bathroom". Service and attitude can make a great place live infamously as a "dump" in the minds of their guests!

Room Tip: If you book a room with a balcony make sure you actually get one!
3  Thank EljayAdelaide
#3 of 5 in Kingscote
Kangaroo Island Acacia Apartments
Kangaroo Island Seaside Inn
Wanderers Rest of Kangaroo Island

Been to Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge? Share your experiences!