This establishment attracts brickbats and bouquests in almost equal proportions. On arrival we were told that there was no booking for us despite the fact we had a confirmation. It transpired that our booking had been incorrectly recorded. As they were full we were given accommodation next door for our first night. Staff were most apologetic and we were given a room upgrade to a self contained Studio and some free meals for the inconvenience. The room was well appointed with nice furnishings and a balcony overlooking Newland Bay. The only cooking facilities consisted of a microwave for which there was no cookware. Because the hire car companies actively discourage driving at night, severe insurance penalties apply for night time accidents, the Mecure is the only place at American River to eat at night. Fortunately they currently have a very good european chef and the dining room serves excellent meals, their Kangaroo and King George Whiting dishes were standouts. This could be expensive if you had family or were staying for an extended period. Unfortunately breakfast was chaos, there appeared to be only one person cooking and maintaining self serve items, consequently people were continually looking for bread, fruit, coffee etc. Good quality wifi was available in the Lobby / Bar area. The friendly and helpful staff made it a pleasant stay despite the problems.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kangaroo Island, one of Australia's great wilderness destinations, is best known for its magnificent coastal views, unique landscapes, uncrowded beaches and fascinating wildlife, including kangaroos, wallabies, koalas, Australian sea-lions, New Zealand fur seals and Little penguins. Kangaroo Island is a place of natural beauty and a place to escape. Kangaroo Island Lodge is situated on the banks of Eastern Cove in American River, with all rooms perfectly perched offering exceptional water views over the bay. Amid lush coastal vegetation, Kangaroo Island Lodge blends in with its natural surroundings. There is no better place to unwind and to enjoy the peace and tranquility. The seclusion of this area allows for the abundance of wildlife to roam free. Tammar wallabies, brush tailed possums, black swans, Cape Barren geese, Australian pelicans and the rare and endangered glossy black cockatoos can all be found in here. The outer bay of Eastern Cove offers excellent sailing and fishing in protected waters. The Kangaroo Island oyster industry is also located in American River, with the Oyster Shed located just down the road from the Kangaroo Island Lodge. If you are a keen walker, there are two main walking tracks, the Independence Trail and the Fish Cannery walk. Both walks meander through the natural coastal scrub where numerous species of wildlife and birdlife can be seen. So why not come and escape to the Kangaroo Island Lodge? ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, LateRooms, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel All Seasons Kangaroo Island American River
- Kangaroo Island Hotel
- Kangaroo Island American River
- Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge American River