American River is a quiet and isolated area of Kangaroo Island. Excellent river, estuary location for fishing, walking and kayaking. The hotel has a bit of a monopoly in American River, where there isnt much in amenities like shopping, cafes, restaurants or bars. The hotel has a bar and restaurant but a dinner set for 6pm to 9pm. The food and drinks menu is not very extensive but well cooked and served.
I say the hotel is 'tired' as it is not very modern, there is a bit of history in the old place and is a series of these aging buildings meshed together. It could do with a spruce up.
The room is clean and comfortable.
Superior suites are not exactly superior, walls thin and can hear conversations and personal noises and the lower level is noisier due to thin floor above. Dont waste the extra $.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kangaroo Island, one of Australia's great wilderness destinations, is best known for its magnificent coastal views, unique landscapes, uncrowded beaches and fascinating wildlife, including kangaroos, wallabies, koalas, Australian sea-lions, New Zealand fur seals and Little penguins. Kangaroo Island is a place of natural beauty and a place to escape. Kangaroo Island Lodge is situated on the banks of Eastern Cove in American River, with all rooms perfectly perched offering exceptional water views over the bay. Amid lush coastal vegetation, Kangaroo Island Lodge blends in with its natural surroundings. There is no better place to unwind and to enjoy the peace and tranquility. The seclusion of this area allows for the abundance of wildlife to roam free. Tammar wallabies, brush tailed possums, black swans, Cape Barren geese, Australian pelicans and the rare and endangered glossy black cockatoos can all be found in here. The outer bay of Eastern Cove offers excellent sailing and fishing in protected waters. The Kangaroo Island oyster industry is also located in American River, with the Oyster Shed located just down the road from the Kangaroo Island Lodge. If you are a keen walker, there are two main walking tracks, the Independence Trail and the Fish Cannery walk. Both walks meander through the natural coastal scrub where numerous species of wildlife and birdlife can be seen. So why not come and escape to the Kangaroo Island Lodge? ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, Odigeo, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HRS and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel All Seasons Kangaroo Island American River
- Kangaroo Island Hotel
- Kangaroo Island American River
- Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge American River