“Very good service, we enjoyed our visit”

Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in American River
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Stayed here for two nights in an apartment with a view over American River. The accommodation was clean, if a bit dated. There was plenty of space. No problems sleeping.
Both the receptionists we dealt with were very helpful, but the young Scottish lady deserves a special mention for being very helpful throughout our stay. She did not just do reception, in fact I think she must do very job in the place. I hope they pay her well!
We ate dinner in the restaurant on both nights. The food on both occasions was good and the service absolutely fine. The breakfast was a typical chain hotel buffet, perfectly acceptable but nothing special.
Location wise, it is remote, there is next to nothing in the village and the walk along by the beach isn't that great.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge

Reviewed 3 December 2013

We loved our stay at this great lodge! We had a beautiful room with a view of the sea. The location is very lovely, and the staff are amazing. So helpful and friendly! As soon as we arrived the young man at the front desk went the extra mile to help us arrange a day trip for the following day. I wish I could personally thank him! We are the sisters who took the Italian guide because I speak Italian and there was nothing similar available for a private tour. This young man was VERY nice and helpful. One does not expect that kind of service in a small hotel. Everything was very clean, and we enjoyed the wifi in the lobby - a big thank you for that too! Wish we could visit again. The staff at the restaurant were very nice, and the young lady dressed in black always had a smile for us. Thank you All!

Room Tip: TIP: please remember to BOOK your transfer from the airport. This is a very small island and there...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Congratulations on the service provided by your establishment, nothing was too difficult including providing extra laundry facilities when the dryer broke down. As Accor members, I would recommend this hotel to anyone wishing too stay on Kangaroo Island,very clean amenties and the beds were comfortable. Though not alot to do in American river the location of the lodge was perfect, as the access to the tourist spots were within easy drives, then coming back, resting and going to happy hour made it more than pleasing and the food menu was also enjoyable, good choices to be had especially on wednesday which is steak night (my husbands favourite choice) only for $20. well done too the staff and the establishment.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Fukuroh
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Stayed 2 nights with a friend while we toured around KI. I had purchased a voucher for a 2 nights in a "superior bayview" room, with 20% off dinner one night in their restaurant and breakfast included, half price room rates.
To begin the room was neat and tidy, 2 single beds, small balcony basic TV, bathroom, tiny fridge (not even mini-fridge size). Would have been very unhappy to be paying full price (advertised $300 per night) as there was no room to spread out or relax apart from on the beds or on the tiny balcony. No hairdryer in bathroom, no room service for meals either. Had dinner in the restaurant both nights as there are no other dining facilities in American River. Service and food was excellent however menu was very limited and to my surprise the "locally Caught" fish was almost the most expensive dish on the menu at over $30! We had breakfast included in our voucher, otherwise we definetly would have eaten elsewhere for breakfast. At $18 I thought it was far too expensive for basic bacon,eggs,toast, cereal buffet. What fruit was on offer was either tinned or frozen. No undercover parking available and you are unable to park by your room as the hotel is built into the side of the hill.
To conclude, staff were very friendly, rooms were neat and clean but very basic and meals good. Overall though was overpriced for what was offered, Avoid paying full price if you can!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank kelly B
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I waited till I had gone off the boil before I wrote this review. Give it the benefit of hindsight, I thought! But really, you deserve better ... choose somewhere else.

One of the reasons that I delayed writing my review was because the desk & restaurant staff tried so hard ... but this was a nightmare ... the holiday you don't want to have. Really, by the end, I suggested that the staff just wear badges that said "I'm sorry" to save them time. And as good as the staff were, the management level was useless.

Perhaps our problem was that we stayed 6 nights so the problems were very apparent. if you only stay a couple of nights you might just think it is a mis-step, a passing glitch, an unforeseen problem. But if you are stuck there for 6 nights, it is like a recurring nightmare.

On our first morning we woke up to fine we had no water at all. None. So no flushing, no coffee, no cleaning. We went out for the day and returned at 3 in the afternoon to find buckets of effluent still sitting outside rooms. Water was back on that afternoon but cold water only.

During our 6 nights we only managed to have hot water for showers twice. Twice! Not because others had used up the hot water but because there was none. None.

Meals were mainly fine but very inconsistent. And there is no choice in American River. If you don't eat there you will need to watch out for roos when driving (to Kingscote or Penneshaw) elsewhere for a meal. I notice that the Accor site now shows that a breakfast discount is not part of the Advantage Plus, but it was when we were there but they refused to honour it until I made a fuss.

Before our stay I had emailed to ask for a room that was accessible without stairs as my husband has mobility issues. According to the manger we were given an upgraded room (torn curtain and dingy bathroom) .... right above the rooms that were being renovated. So far from being relaxing, it was necessary to get away during the day to avoid the builder's boombox and noise. The strategy recommended by his doctor is for my husband to rest each afternoon. We would go out for the day and return at around 3pm ... to find each time that our room had not been made up. It seems that they make up the rooms that are getting new guests. During our stay our bed was made twice (I don't mean the sheets changed but the room actually cleaned and the bed made)

Accor have been good about acknowledging the problems. Not so much the manager who saw the above as "inconvenience".

Room Tip: Choose a room that is not here
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank julnol
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I was overall very pleased with my 2-nights stay at this hotel!
I was upgraded to a very spacious room overlooking the water, with a nice balcony and huge windows to enjoy it! The room in itself was quite simply furnished, but very comfortable. The walls were a little thin though, as we heard a baby crying in an adjacent room.
The restaurant was really good, the food excellent and the service friendly. The breakfast was very tasty.
The staff of the hotel was also very nice and helpful!
The hotel is located a little far away (35 min) from the main towns of the island, and there is not much to eat or buy in American River itself!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Casuarina Coastal Units
Casuarina Coastal Units
#2 of 2 in American River
Kangaroo Island Seaside Inn

Been to Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge? Share your experiences!