“Top Spot and Top Hosts”

Flour Cask Bay Retreat
Melbourne, Australia
“Top Spot and Top Hosts”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

First visit to Kangaroo Island and we were not too sure what to expect at this Retreat. It was great! Very clean, comfortable and a beautiful setting. Late afternoon on the verandah overlooking Dave and Jeannie's garden and watching the myriad of beautiful birds is a treat. Very generous and welcoming hosts; nothing was too much trouble. Chloe the friendly German Shepherd makes up a lovely family of three excellent hosts. Dave knows where to send you given the time you have available. Our three nights gave us a taste of this beautiful island and one could certainly spend more time here. We can certainly recommend this place as ideal for two couples travelling together and looking for a peaceful retreat with as much sight seeing guidance from Dave as you would wish. Charles, Angela Kevin and Cathy.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank CharlesG722a
David L, Owner at Flour Cask Bay Retreat, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Hi Charles and of course rest of gang Angela,Kein and Cathy. Thank you for your kind words but we are so glad you enjoyed Flour Cask Bay Retreat. Just arrived back from night fishing for next guests [2 couples travelling together]. Not looking eto filleting fish. Im a bit smelly with fish scales etc but a shower will fix that up.Jeanny sends her very best wishes as does Chloe. Jeannie madly painting for Easter Art Show and Chloe and I have been spending some lovely hours on our beach. Chloe silll bounding around in the pools trying to catch fish. No luck yet after 4 years of trying.
Take care of yourselves and we will see you next time at FCBR

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We stayed at Dave and Jeannie's place for the three days we spent on Kangaroo Island in late December 2013, and it was fantastic! The room was huge, spotlessly clean and cozy, and we had all the supplies we needed to prepare our meals. Dave made us feel right at home immediately, and after we settled in to our room he came over with a map of the island and tips about the best places to visit, as well as important advice about which roads to take and which ones to avoid. We would have been lost without his help! Dave and Jeannie were kind enough to invite us to a scrumptious dinner at their place on our second night, where we and the other couple who were staying there were treated to fresh fish Dave had caught, delicious side dishes prepared by Jeannie and a dose of feeling at home in the middle of our three-week trip around Oz. Dave also took us on a drive around the property where we saw loads of kangaroos and all of their beautiful land. Speaking of 'roos, if you drive your car slowly down the road leading to their property around dusk, you can watch hordes of them hopping about in the fields. Because Flour Cask Bay Retreat is so far from any sort of town, you get a great view of the stars when you step outside at night. However, it's not too far away -- it's only a 25-minute drive or so to town where you can pick up groceries and fuel. Although the guest house is on the opposite side of the island from Flinders Chase, it's not a big deal, seeing as how you're going to want to drive all around to explore the island no matter what. (We actually thought it was preferable to be on the side closer to the airport and the ferry, so we didn't have to drive as far upon arrival and departure.) I absolutely cannot recommend this place highly enough! It's wonderful through and through, and we'll certainly be staying here when we return to Kangaroo Island.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Libby W
Hi guys,Thank you for your lovely and encouraging review. Jeannie and I are really flattered. We loved having you here and really we are blessed to have Flour Cask Bay Retreat as we meet so many like minded people wanting to get away from the stress of city life and all it entails. We so enjoyed our meal with you guys and our other young friends Jake and Steph. Remember how keen he was on fishing and each afternoon he brought back fish but could not get the hang off filleting. I showed him but ended up filleting all his fish each day. What a laugh. Hope you got to see Hans Heysen Gallery in Hahndorf and the rest of your trip was just wonderful. Hope our paths will cross one day Lib. Take care and Jeannie and Chloe and I send you our very best wishes.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 March 2014

My wife and I stayed there in mid-February, and enjoyed Dave and Chloe's company. Jeannie was away at the time of our stay, but we liked her artwork so much, we bought one! The Retreat is isolated, 7kms off the main road, but this in itself adds to the character and ambiance, as it is so quiet. Watching the local roos each evening/morning was also a special memory. And then there was Dave's fish dinner, on our last night (of a 3 day package). We both enjoyed it, as well as Dave's company, and if you like music, then just ask Dave to dip into his collection for some great after dinner music. He introduced us to Celtic Thunder on his big screen, and we were so impressed, we bought the DVD when we got back home, and also tickets to their concert in May (in Sydney). We highly recommend a stay here!

Room Tip: No need to choose a room as Dave will put you in his best one.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dobbo_13
David L, Owner at Flour Cask Bay Retreat, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
G'day Graham,
Thank you for your kind comments. Glad you enjoyed the fish meal. It really gives me a good excuse to get out in the boat although as you have seen its really special here whether on sea or land. Had a really friendly wallaby on our verandah this am. Always good to see and some red browed finches have arrived in the last week so we look forward to them each morning. Hope they hang around for a while. Hope to head over your way in middle to late May so if all goes to plan will give you a call and drop in for a coffee.
Again thanks for the lovely review. Jeannie is looking forward to seeing you. Hope you are enjoying Edith Falls painting
Cheers for now
Dave, Jeannie and of course Chloe
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We just returned from a three day stay at Flour Cask Bay Retreat. We selected FCBR based on these reviews, and after enjoying the setting, lodgings and hospitality, I can only echo all of the comments. They are accurate and a true reflection of our experience there. From the moment we arrived, we felt at home. Dave offered to share the day's catch with us for dinner and then he and Chloe took us on an evening's tour of the property. (Jeannie was out of town.) Each morning and evening we gazed at expansive views of the countryside and gardens in the changing light. We valued Dave's local knowledge and recommendations, and would love to return.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Simon W
Hi Mimi and Simon. What a pleasure it was having you here with Jeannie and me and of course Chloe. FCBR is a place where I reckon people arrive maybe a little stressed or uptight but leave in a different mind frame-relaxed and chilled out . I went over to Adelaide last week for a few days and what a relief to get back into a seemingly different world. It is so good to be able to share this with others and we know how important it is to "escape" for a while to a peaceful place to re-juvenate. Hope the rest of your holiday went really well. Jeannie sends her best wishes as do Chloe and I. Come back soon. The table is set.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 17 January 2014

The only problem we had during our entire experience at Flour Cask Bay was finding the place for the first time. It is quite a way from the main road, but this is really a benefit, as the seclusion seems infinite.

Upon our arrival Jeannie greeted us and invited us in for a cup of tea. She was very generous with her time, and gave us some pointers for the next few days on K.I. Dave, our other host, arrived shortly after us, and was kind enough to pick up and deliver to us a hub cap that we lost on the drive in.

By far, the highlight of our entire visit to Kangaroo Island was driving back to Flour Cask Bay in the evenings. The area around road leading up to the house was covered in kangaroos. I have traveled in Australia many times, and I have never seen anything like it. In 2 minutes time, you might see 40 kangaroos. As we drove slowly along the road, they would notice us and all start hopping back into the brush. Truly magnificent.

I would highly recommend this place for both the experience and the value.

Room Tip: There are two rooms...choose one of the two rooms.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brendan S
Hi Brendan and Haven. Thanks so much for your great review. All well hereJeannie sends her best wishes [and of course Chloe too] We are overwhelmed at the responses and reviews we have had and we know that we have a patch of paradise here. Important not to take it for granted. When we were talking about your travels around Australia it makes you realise what a lucky country we are... so lucky to live in a place of peace and beauty at Flour Cask Bay , but so lucky meeting folks like you who are happy to share your adventures and outlooks on life in general. We look forward to seeing you again soon. No doubt will have many more adventures to share
Cheers for now Dave, Jeannie and Chloe
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 25 March 2013

We had a fantastic time at FCBR. Stayed 4 nights. Fabulous hosts (Dave, Jeannie and Chloe (the beautiful german shephard)). Dave's local knowledge is priceless. Great bloke, shared a moment 'sheep herding'. Jeannnie's fruit/veg garden was a pleasant surprise. They made us feel like part of the family. The accommodation was very well appointed and clean. Hope to return in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gandjodea
David L, Owner at Flour Cask Bay Retreat, responded to this review, 27 March 2013
G'day Grant and Julie. Thank you for your review and kind words. Jeannie and I certainly loved having you both here and hopefully we can catch up for more laughs in September. Yes we are real sheep men now mate. A horse and arkubra each would seal the deal. Hear from you soon re next trip. Cheers for now D,J &C
Reviewed 17 March 2013

My husband and I stayed 4 nights at Flour Cask Bay and enjoyed every minute of our stay! Our hosts, Dave and Jeannie, were absolutely fabulous!! We felt very welcomed and at home (which after a few weeks of travelling was really nice). Our room was clean and comfortable and it was great to be able to cook our own meals. We were lucky enough to have a home cooked meal made by Jeannie as well (the fish was AMAZING!). I am a dog owner and was missing my guy so being able to go out into the garden and play with their dog Cloe was a great start to my mornings!

The beach was a little further than I had originally thought it might be, but it was completely private and I was able to still walk down. On one of my walks down I had one of my most amazing wildlife experiences... I was about half way when I noticed a roo down the path in front of me. I stopped behind a bush and grabbed my camera and to my surprise the roo kept hopping towards me (I was hidden behind the bush and down wind...). I was patient and the roo hopped within 2m of me which is when I decided to make myself known... the roo turned direction and went into the bush and I was super excited about the encouter! Completely made my day and a highlight of my trip to Australia :-) Wish my hasband had been there to see this roo but he was off on a run... we saw heaps of roos coming into the property each evening as well.

Our stay was great and we would book again in a heart beat!!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ssmiley11
David L, Owner at Flour Cask Bay Retreat, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
Thankyou for your feed back guys. Wildlife experiences happen each day at FCBR so I guess we take it for granted but we are truly blessed here. Keep safe and hope to catch up when in Canada
Also consider these accommodations in or near American River
#1 of 50 in Kangaroo Island
Sea Dragon Lodge
Sea Dragon Lodge
#1 of 2 in Willoughby

Been to Flour Cask Bay Retreat? Share your experiences!