“not so great”

Charlie Bates Cottage
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Kangaroo Island has limitations on lodging. We were here during low season, which meant that some places and restaurants were closed. I don't generally like to cook when on vacation and we ended up using the kitchen on this trip. not super clean kitchen. The main problem with this cottage was that it was not clean. There were multiple gobs of hair in the shower, crumbs all over the kitchen tablecloth, there were dust bunnies in all the rooms, crumbs on the sofas, and cobwebs in the bathroom. I actually tried not to look closely at things because I was grossed out.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cynful2no

Reviewed 23 October 2012

Throughly enjoyed our recent stay at Charlie Bates Cottage. Cottage very well situated for all Penneshaw has to offer. Wallabies visited every night for piece of banana, Fairy penguins just down the road on the foreshore and woke to the sound of bellbirds singing every morning. We would heartily recommend the Ironstone Hill Hike starting at the end of Frenchman's Terrace just 5 mins from the cottage, saw loads of dolphins and wallabies.

Cottage amenities very good our only criticisms were that the cottage was extremely cluttered, so much so there was no room for our stuff and that the more extensive cleaning, under the bed, unused crockery, French dresser had not been done in a while.

Overall we would definitely recommend staying at Charlie Bates cottage.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Balhannah_12
Reviewed 21 September 2009

I stayed at Charlie Bates Cottage for three nights in September. I really enjoyed myself especially the cosy open fire that I had each night. I cooked a great steak on the barbecue on the front verandah while I watched the ferry come and go from Penneshaw. Later on in the night I had some wallabies visit the front lawn for a feed which I thought was great, it provided everything I would have expected and more. The owners have gone to a lot of trouble to provide all the things needed for a comfortable holiday on Kangaroo Island. I felt very refreshed after my stay and was a little sad I had to leave.
The Penneshaw Hotel is also good for an evening meal and I went there for one nights feed, and enjoyed sitting outside on their verandah, and they had a good range of KI wine by the glass.
Well done Charlie!!
Maxwell - Adelaide S.A

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank MaxwellM
Travellers also viewed these Penneshaw hotels
Kangaroo Island Seafront
Kangaroo Island Seafront
#1 of 1 in Penneshaw
Lindsays of Kangaroo Island
Lindsays of Kangaroo Island
#2 of 2 in Penneshaw
Kangaroo Island Backpackers - Hostel
Tandarra Lodge Kangaroo Island

Been to Charlie Bates Cottage? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Charlie Bates Cottage

Address: 39 South Terrace, Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island, South Australia 5222, Australia
Region: Australia > South Australia > Kangaroo Island > Penneshaw
Beach Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Kitchenette
Ranked #5 of 6 Speciality Lodging in Penneshaw
Price Range: £70 - £94 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:4 star — Charlie Bates Cottage 4*
Historic restored stone cottage with magnificent ocean views minutes from the beach and ferry. Fully equipped with everything for your perfect holiday. Modern kitchen,spacious bathroom, quality bedding, washing machine, clothes dryer, feed wallabies at night. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Travel Republic (UK) so you can book your Charlie Bates Cottage reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Charlie Bates Cottage Kangaroo Island/Penneshaw