Visited Kangaroo Island for a two-day tour with my wife and two children (ages 12 & 9). We were touring Oz for 4 weeks and had an amazing trip. Sadly, the ONLY disappointment was our night at this hotel which bore NO relation to what I had read on its website or on the internet.
It was a shame as we had a wonderful tour of Kangaroo Island with Keith of Discovery Tours. He knew exactly where to go and at what time so as to avoid the many coaches visiting for the days. we were by ourselves at Admiralty Arch, looking at the Seals. Hardly anyone at the truly 'Amazing Rocks' and, again, were part of only a small group as we walked along the beach with the seals. On our second day he took us to 'Paul's Place'... a farmer who takes in rescued animals. We had such a fantastic time there. Keith was very sorry to hear of our experience at the hotel.
We turned up at circa 7pm and were shown to, literally, a large shack at the bottom of the gardens. It looked like a 1950s holiday camp chalet inside. The beds sagged in the middle and the place was both damp and cold. No wonder the Receptionist looked so sheepish. As you can see from our photos, this bore no relation to the pictures you see on their website.
The food in evening was not bad, but the maitre'd is from the UK and has a sense of humour that borders on rudeness. His opening comment was 'Not another family from Bath!'. Maybe on another day, I may have warmed to him, but sadly I was too cold and shocked having seen the room.
What made matters worse is that I have since worked out that the hotel was probably £500 of the cost of the tour and was, by far, the worse experience I have had in years!
I attach our pictures, so compare for yourself. DO visit KI, it is truly a magical place, just book direct with hotels and book a tour separate, not a package. I also recommend Keith, he was great.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Seafront is perfectly situated in Penneshaw - Gateway to Kangaroo Island, and overlooks the magnificent Backstairs Passage. Kangaroo Island is totally unspoilt with white beaches, stunning coastlines and home to an abundance of wildlife. If you're looking for four-star accommodation in an idyllic setting, this is surely the place, located on the Esplanade just 500 metres from the Sealink Ferry Terminal. The Kangaroo Island Seafront has 16 rooms and 12 Villas.....Choose from the 4star Sea Front Rooms with spectacular views and private balcony, 4star Sorrento's rooms located upstairs in the original guest building or the sanctuary of our Deluxe Villas. Bringing the family? Why not stay in one of our 1, 2 or 3 bedroom Villas. FREE WiFi for all our guests ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Agoda, Booking.com, Expedia, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, LateRooms, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Kangaroo Island Seafront reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kangaroo Island Seafront Hotel Penneshaw
- Kangaroo Island Seafront Penneshaw