“Big tick for another "Bucket List" trip”
Review of Bay of Fires Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mount William National Park
Bay of Fires Lodge
Reviewed 26 March 2013

The Bay of Fires Eco Lodge had been on my "Bucket List" ever since I saw the lodge feature in a book called "Sleeping Beauties" (the cover photo). At the time I didn't realise that to visit the lodge I would have to walk in through some of the most awe inspiring wilderness to get there. The coastal walk is amazing and the tour organisers are outstanding in ensuring that your every need is catered to. The guides, the food, the local knowledge, the wine and finally the lodge can't be faulted. Freshly baked cakes on arrival, cold beers and views that you can sit and watch for hours. The rooms are extremely comfortable and the lodge does its best to blend in with its surrounds. The logistics that go into ensuring the lodge doesn't negatively impact on the environment is noteworthy. Now understanding the effort that the company go to, I can understand a little more clearly as to the pricing of the trip. Not cheep to helicopter in supplies!! I had an amazing 4 days, met lovely people on the way and have memories that will last a lifetime. My only suggestion to people reading this, just do it!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank traceygblake
cradlemountainhuts, Director of Sales at Bay of Fires Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2013

Hi TBBrisbane,

Thanks for your lovely review. I agree the walk is amazing and to finish up at the Lodge is quite special. We do spend a lot of time working on minimal impact practices not only at the Lodge and Camp but the walking trails as well so it’s great to read your acknowledgement.

Reviewed 19 March 2013

What a fantastic way to spend 4 days. This was definitely on my bucket list and I wasn't disappointed. We were all picked up from Launceston and taken to Quamby where we were given our packs, our clothes were checked etc. Most of our packs were about 9kg each which was not taxing to carry. We arrived at Mt William National Park at 12pm where we lathered up with sunburn cream and off we wandered. 9kms down pristine beaches and beautiful granite boulders on day 1. Camp day 1 was in the middle of nowhere. A fantastic meal was cooked by our guides. Day 2 was by far my favorite. The contrast of the beautiful white sand and the coastal heath was amazing. We arrived at the Lodge about 5pm. Day 3 was kayaking down to Ansons River followed by another walk down pristine beaches. Day 4 was leaving day so a lazy morning or you could do an optional 1 hr walk around the Lodge.

Our guides were fantastic. They did everything from telling us about the history of the area, very knowledgable on the fauna, cooking amazing meals, cleaning toilets, washing up, first aid for blisters, laughing, fixing the water issue at first camp as well as a gas problem.

Our group of ten was great as well -we all got on famously well which made a huge difference to the experience.

The Lodge is an amazing place. Loved the archtitecture and the layout. The rooms were great, loved the louvre windows - you can lie in bed see the stars. The toilets and showers were good considering we were basically in the middle of nowhere. The food that was produced in the kitchen was exceptional. There were 3 course dinners on both days 2 and 3 which were amazing. There were quiches made for our lunches, afternoon teas when we arrived back in the Lodge at the end of the day, hot breakfasts with home made bread.....

The pace of the walking over the first 3 days was not taxing and quite leisurely with plenty of stops for morning teas, lunches etc.

Overall an amazing and unique experience not to be missed. Thanks to Ingrid and Kia, our guides and James, the fill in Lodge manager.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SophieT16

Hi SophieT16,

Thanks for your review. I am really pleased you had a great walk and you can tick one more thing from your bucket list! Ingrid, Kia & James are all fantastic and we are lucky to have such great guides working with us.

The beaches, guides, food and wine do make the walk really special.

Hope to see you back down in Tassie some time.

Cheers Ros

Reviewed 18 March 2013

The very first time that we saw this trip advertised in a Qantas mag over 10 years ago we knew we HAD to do it! In a busy life there is never an ideal time or a happy budget position that affords a trip like this, but if you really believe that life is there to be treasured and you must take the time to add balance and put things in perspective- this is an absolute must do!

Nothing disappointed, in fact it was all even more amazing than we could have ever hoped for!

I knew from the photos it would be beautiful but nothing had prepared me for just HOW beautiful it is. We were lucky with the weather ( 26 degrees cool breeze sunny) for the whole 4 days, but the beaches and the bushland and the river and estuary that you kayack down are just magniificent. While the trip is marked as easy in the guide books, I think it does require a degree of fitness because you are walking on sand and on day one when the tide was in, we walked in relatively soft sand ( hense we have one foot shorter than the other now!) and scrambling over rocks with a pack on is a bit of a challenge. While the lodge is sensational, I also think it is worth mentioning the bush camp for the first night- very comfortable, great atmosphere behind the dunes, really cozy and the composting toilets and óutdoor shower were fun. The food cooked that night, atlantic salmon with soba noodles and chocolate mousse were to die for, not the mention the nice wine and cheese and nibbles when we hit the camp. Special memories,both at the camp and at the lodge, were captured looking up at the evening sky with the zillion stars- soooo impressive. It was remarkably clear and the sky was so luminiscent with the stars that we walked down to the beach and sat with our wine and watched it for a good half an hour........talk about get out of the rat race. No surprise we slept like dead things that night.

The lodge is wonderfully luxurious with the most comfy beds ever and the highlight really was the Clover Hill on the bar list and fresh baked bread in the morning and cakes( with double cream, mmmm) in the afternoon. Our kayack day was also a highlight seeing jumping fish and wedgetailed eagles and having time in the morning for a swim/snorkel ( we saw a stingray the size of a small car!) on the last day was also wonderful. My tip ( despite the cooler water temp) would be to make sure you get into the water every day- a) it will ease your weary legs after the walks but b) the therapeutic value of that clear spearmint water can never be underestimated. Wear your togs or at least be perpared to go behind a dune and wip them on at ever morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea stop. Our guides lead by example and it was a real highlight of the trip for me.
The guides were fanastic young people, knowledgeable, funny, engaging and hard working ( especially Ed- he's a keeper!)
I'll leave you with my most spine tingling memory of my wonderful Bay of Fires Trip.
My husband woke me at about 6.15am on the first morning in the Lodge and said oh my God look at this.........our room was glowing with this incredible warm red light. As an avid photographer, I grabbed my camera and headed out onto the front deck balcony to take what I thought would be a nice couple of photos of the sunrise. The next 35 minutes were so memorable that at one point I had tears streaming down my face because I was so moved by the beauty and gradeur of what I was seeing- this sunrise was the most amazing spectacle I have ever seen. That is something that money cannot buy and I will be forever grateful that the Bay of Fires Walk and Lodge exist to give mere mortals like us a great big dollop of Paradise. Thankyou.

Room Tip: Its all heavenly!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank warnerl
cradlemountainhuts, Director of Sales at Bay of Fires Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2013

Hi Warnel,

Thanks for your wonderful review. I always love to read about travel experiences which have exceeded expectation. The beach, Ansons River and the rocks all for spectacular scenery and the stars at night are just fabulous so I am pleased you took a glass of wine down to the beach! You have summed up the sunrise at the Lodge.

Ed is a fantastic guide and we are so lucky to have him working with us. I have passed on your feedback.

Again thanks for taking the time to write.

Reviewed 27 February 2013

Coming from a year in Hanoi this trip was everything I was in need of: 180degree blue skies, miles of clean, empty white sand, a clear (if bracing) sea, and great, locally sourced Tassie food. Although I was lucky with the first one I imagine the others are present in every trip. The guides are knowledgeable and hugely helpful, it is a very slick, well organised operation. The walking, the pack carrying and the water pumping makes you feel you are on a bit of an adventure but there are also all the treats of great food and wine and beds, to keep you in an indulged mindset. I would thoroughly recommend this trip to anyone who can afford it (the only downside, although I hear repeat customers can get discounts).

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank KatB4
cradlemountainhuts, Director of Sales at Bay of Fires Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2013

Hi KatB4

Thanks for your review. I imagine spending some time along the Bay of Fires Coastline having spent a year in Hanoi would be quite a contrast! I am really pleased you had great weather and enjoyed the beaches. We have a great bunch of guides and we are lucky to have such passionate young people living in Tassie. It’s great you enjoyed the adventurous side of the walk while feeling somewhat indulged at the same time – it’s a good balance!

Reviewed 24 February 2013

We did the BoF walk with 2 friends and had a great time. Challenging conditions - torrential rain & gale force winds on day 1, & very sunny conditions & high temps on day 2. Day 3 & 4 were mixed between pleasant temps & high winds.
The walk itself was mostly along stunning beaches. The food was amazing & the accommodation was comfortable & very welcome after all the walking.
Our guides Kia & Joel were fun, a little bit immature at times, but given that they were both early twenties & the rest of us 40 plus, thats understandable! On the whole they were fine & they got us through it.
When the walk is finished you really feel you have achieved something!!

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank hargar

Hi Hargar,
Thanks for taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor. It sounds like you walked through some challenging conditions, we have certainly experienced some interesting weather patterns this year along with the rest of Australia.
The beaches are spectacular along this stretch of coastline and I couldn’t agree more - the food and accommodation is most welcome after a day of walking.
We spend a lot of time choosing our guides and most importantly we select guides who have a deep knowledge and understanding of the area and can handle emergency situations so we know our guests are always in good hands. We have passed on your comments along and appreciate you mentioning it.
Completing the walk is certainly an achievement and we hope to see you back down in Tassie.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

This is an expensive tour but it is worth every cent. The walk itself is through beautiful scenery along pristine white beaches and crystal clear water. The guides are extremely professional, very caring and great cooks. After having our packs checked at Headquarters and given a thorough drill, we took an 11 km walk on the first day with the reward of comfortable bush tents, cold drinks (beer and wine) with snacks before a very good 3 course meal. The next day was taxing - a long 15.4 kilometre walk predominantly on sand in hot weather with the smoke of bushfires on the horizon, but the comfort of the Lodge at the end of the day was worth every step. Another great dinner and then on the 3rd day we did some kayaking and a short walk back to the Lodge. On the fourth day, its a relaxing morning, leaving the Lodge at noon for an almost 2 hour walk out to a waiting bus, which then took us to a winery before depositing us back in Launceston.
One of our party of 4 has mobility issues and even though the walk was exhausting for him, the kindness of our guides Bella and Dan was very much appreciated by us all.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank MadamJosephine
cradlemountainhuts, Director of Sales at Bay of Fires Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2013

Hello MadamJosephine,
Thanks for your feedback - we really appreciate it. It sounds like you had a great walk which is fantastic. Both Bella & Dan are fabulous guides and I am pleased they added to your experience.
It was hot weather when you were down here - I hope you managed to get some swims in!
Again thanks for taking the time to reveiw us on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

An incredible adventure worth going on if you have never hiked before. Food provided was excellent and highly enjoyable. The guides on my trip (Ryan & Di) were very helpful and provided a positive energy to the hike. The walk went through stunning sections of beach, scrub, marsupial lawns and forest. The accommodation was very good and enabled me to have a relaxing and natural nights sleep. The kayaking section had beautiful Lord of the Rings type views and added to the sense of adventure. all in all good value for money. Please note that there is a bit light climbing over rocks so you do need to have a good degree of fitness to get the most out of this walk.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Michael C

Hi Michael,
Thanks for taking the time to review your Bay of Fires Lodge Walk. It sounds like you had a great first time hiking experience. We are really lucky to have Ryan and Di working with us as their knowledge and enthusiasm is second to none.
I agree the kayaking is pretty special, the landscape feels very intimate having spent some time on the vast beaches.
We hope to see you back down in Tasmania at some time in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mount William National Park
#1 of 1 in Binalong Bay
Bed in the Treetops B&B
Bed in the Treetops B&B
#2 of 5 in St Helens

Been to Bay of Fires Lodge? Share your experiences!