“Defintely a "bucket list" experience”
Review of Bay of Fires Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mount William National Park
Bay of Fires Lodge
Brisbane, Australia
“Defintely a "bucket list" experience”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Recently completed the Bay of Fires walk with Tasmanian Walking Company. Just an awesome experience - beautiful scenery (great photographic shots round every corner ), guides couldnt be more enthusiastic and helpful, 7 star lodge in the wilderness, 1st rate chef in residence with great food. Really great value for money . Recommend highly as a must do experience .Icing on the cake for my wife was a really good pamper experience with the "massage queen" , Cecelia. I had one too , and she was good - with a deep tissue massage . Just the trick for aching legs!!!.
All in all an experience to remember!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
cradlemountainhuts, Director of Sales at Bay of Fires Lodge, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Hi Bob,
Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review – we really appreciate it. I am pleased you and your wife had a great walk. As you mentioned, our guides are so important to the overall experience and we are very privileged to have the guides we do working with us. Tom at the Lodge is great in the kitchen and the standard of food is something as a company we continually strive to improve. As you may be aware the Lodge Spa has only recently opened so it’s great to hear that you enjoyed your treatments with Cecilia – she is a gem! Hope to see you back down this way in the future.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Melbourne
Reviewed 12 October 2013

An oasis of warmth and wonderful food, hot showers and comfortable beds awaits those who walk along the spectacular coastal scenery of the Bay of Fires Walk. After crossing 8 creeks -ankle deep, knee deep, thigh deep, undies wet deep! and battling horizontal rain and 120kmh winds, the lodge was a welcome respite. This is a wonderful part of the world!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
cradlemountainhuts, Director of Sales at Bay of Fires Lodge, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Hi MARMELB,
Thanks so much for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor - and what a lovely review to receive as the first one of our 13/14 walking season.
It sounds like you had a great walk even with some tough weather. The Lodge at the end of the second day is most welcome!. The crossing at Deep Creek can be lot's of fun for sure.
Again thanks for your review.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 19 April 2013

What a fantastic holiday! The guides were terrific! The accommodation was excellent. The food was fantastic, especially when you consider the logistics involved.The walk itself was not too difficult with some stunning scenery and you could feel the serenity. Superb all round!
A special thanks to our guides, Joel and Vince, who were the icing on the cake!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marilyn G
cradlemountainhuts, Director of Sales at Bay of Fires Lodge, responded to this review, 23 April 2013
Hi Marilyn,

Thanks for your review. I am really glad you had a fantastic walk. Both Joel and Vince are fabulous guides and we are lucky to have them working with us. I think the walk is a great balance of beautiful scenery, gentle walking, great food and very special accommodation.
We hope to see you back in Tassie for another walk at some stage.

Bulawayo, Zimbabwe
Reviewed 29 March 2013

I recommend this four day trip without hesitation, to anyone who appreciates an amazing walk along probably the most beautiful and totally deserted beach that I have ever seen, combined with exceptional comfort. The four days are planned perfectly. The first day is a relatively easy walk along a beautiful beach to a bush camp, which is very simple but offers all that you need: a comfortable bed, a shower, and excellent food. The second day is more challenging, with a full day walk, mainly along a beach but occasionally over boulders. The third day is much more relaxing, with a short walk and wonderful kayaking, which I thoroughly enjoyed, even though I am a complete novice. The last day has a free morning for swimming and walking, or just relaxing, followed by an easy walk out and a visit to an exceptional vineyard and winery on the way back to Launceston. The two guides could not have been more friendly and helpful.
The Bay of Fires Lodge at which one spends the second and third nights is situated high above the bay, with incredible views, comfortable rooms and really delicious food, including wonderful cakes straight from the oven, which appear regularly throughout the day.
The company was congenial, the walk all that I hoped for, and the accommodation exceptional. This trip is carefully planned, and all of us on the walk agreed that we would not have changed a single thing about it.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank BulawayoZimtraveller
cradlemountainhuts, Director of Sales at Bay of Fires Lodge, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Hi
Thanks for your review. I am pleased to read that you had a great walk and wouldn’t change a thing! The beaches are just amazing along the Bay of Fires coastline, this topped off with the accommodation and food does make for a very special 4 days.
We are lucky to have the guides we do – they all do an amazing job.
We hope to see you back in Tassie for another walk at some stage.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 29 March 2013

I was so incredibly nervous before starting on this 4 day walk. Being a hiking "virgin" I wasn't sure what to expect, let alone whether I would make it! I should not have worried. We spent so much time chatting with Ed and Ryan our fabulous guides about the incredible marine life (who could have known that there was so much to learn about seaweed and shark eggs?!) and looking at the breathtaking scenary that the kilometres just flew by. The pace of the walk was leisurely - set your own pace and meet at the headlands. The first night at camp Ed and Ryan whipped up a delicious meal of salmon and chill jam. The second day took us to some hidden gems in the bush before we were back on the beach enjoying some of the most breathtaking views you are ever likely to see. The lodge whilst being very eco friendly was warm and inviting and the food!! My only complaint about the trip was that despite walking the 35KM I put on 2kg!!!! It wasn't muscle!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NicwishIwasonhols
cradlemountainhuts, Director of Sales at Bay of Fires Lodge, responded to this review, 6 April 2013
Hi NicwishIwasonhols,

Thanks for your review – I did have a chuckle when you mentioned the slight weight gain! Trust me you aren’t the first person who has mentioned this! I am so pleased you enjoyed your first multi day walk, I can understand your nerves when you don’t know exactly what it is you are getting yourself into.

Both Ed & Ryan are amazing guides and their depth of knowledge is nothing short of amazing – we are very lucky to have them both working with us.

I hope you have the opportunity to enjoy other great multi day walks.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 26 March 2013

The Bay of Fires Eco Lodge had been on my "Bucket List" ever since I saw the lodge feature in a book called "Sleeping Beauties" (the cover photo). At the time I didn't realise that to visit the lodge I would have to walk in through some of the most awe inspiring wilderness to get there. The coastal walk is amazing and the tour organisers are outstanding in ensuring that your every need is catered to. The guides, the food, the local knowledge, the wine and finally the lodge can't be faulted. Freshly baked cakes on arrival, cold beers and views that you can sit and watch for hours. The rooms are extremely comfortable and the lodge does its best to blend in with its surrounds. The logistics that go into ensuring the lodge doesn't negatively impact on the environment is noteworthy. Now understanding the effort that the company go to, I can understand a little more clearly as to the pricing of the trip. Not cheep to helicopter in supplies!! I had an amazing 4 days, met lovely people on the way and have memories that will last a lifetime. My only suggestion to people reading this, just do it!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank traceygblake
Hi TBBrisbane,

Thanks for your lovely review. I agree the walk is amazing and to finish up at the Lodge is quite special. We do spend a lot of time working on minimal impact practices not only at the Lodge and Camp but the walking trails as well so it’s great to read your acknowledgement.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 March 2013

What a fantastic way to spend 4 days. This was definitely on my bucket list and I wasn't disappointed. We were all picked up from Launceston and taken to Quamby where we were given our packs, our clothes were checked etc. Most of our packs were about 9kg each which was not taxing to carry. We arrived at Mt William National Park at 12pm where we lathered up with sunburn cream and off we wandered. 9kms down pristine beaches and beautiful granite boulders on day 1. Camp day 1 was in the middle of nowhere. A fantastic meal was cooked by our guides. Day 2 was by far my favorite. The contrast of the beautiful white sand and the coastal heath was amazing. We arrived at the Lodge about 5pm. Day 3 was kayaking down to Ansons River followed by another walk down pristine beaches. Day 4 was leaving day so a lazy morning or you could do an optional 1 hr walk around the Lodge.

Our guides were fantastic. They did everything from telling us about the history of the area, very knowledgable on the fauna, cooking amazing meals, cleaning toilets, washing up, first aid for blisters, laughing, fixing the water issue at first camp as well as a gas problem.

Our group of ten was great as well -we all got on famously well which made a huge difference to the experience.

The Lodge is an amazing place. Loved the archtitecture and the layout. The rooms were great, loved the louvre windows - you can lie in bed see the stars. The toilets and showers were good considering we were basically in the middle of nowhere. The food that was produced in the kitchen was exceptional. There were 3 course dinners on both days 2 and 3 which were amazing. There were quiches made for our lunches, afternoon teas when we arrived back in the Lodge at the end of the day, hot breakfasts with home made bread.....

The pace of the walking over the first 3 days was not taxing and quite leisurely with plenty of stops for morning teas, lunches etc.

Overall an amazing and unique experience not to be missed. Thanks to Ingrid and Kia, our guides and James, the fill in Lodge manager.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SophieT16
Hi SophieT16,

Thanks for your review. I am really pleased you had a great walk and you can tick one more thing from your bucket list! Ingrid, Kia & James are all fantastic and we are lucky to have such great guides working with us.

The beaches, guides, food and wine do make the walk really special.

Hope to see you back down in Tassie some time.

Cheers Ros
#3 of 3 in St Helens
Goulds Country Guest House
Goulds Country Guest House
#1 of 1 in Goulds Country

Been to Bay of Fires Lodge? Share your experiences!