“Give it a miss ...”

Quality Hotel Manor
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mitcham
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We stayed here for 8 nights and couldn't have been more disappointed with the hotel itself, the breakfast and the staff. The hotel is very tired and in need of a complete overhaul, evidenced by threadbare carpets and the tiles and grab rail falling on me while bathing at 6am one morning. We were moved to an obviously refurbished room with new carpet and furniture, however, the new bathroom did not have a bath and there was no where to place the soap. I refused to throw it on the floor, so it was a little inconvenient to have to get out of the shower to put the soap on the vanity before finishing. The week-day breakfast left a lot to be desired and we were charged for extra breakfasts which we didn't have. However, the weekend buffet breakfast was much better. The cleaning staff obviously can't read "do not disturb" signs and left messages about needing to clean the room when it had already been cleaned. Also, there is no elevator! We were on the second floor with a lot of luggage and it was two flights down to the car park. Very exhausting! To give reception their due, they did sort out the overcharges, however, it did take quite some time to do so. And there phone system is very peculiar - we were advised that when the light is flashing there is no message, so when it went solid on our last night, I asked how to retrieve the message. I was then told that there is no message, the phone system is old and outdated, and no matter what the light does, there will be no messages unless you set-up a mailbox. Just another thing to raise your eyebrows at!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MrsJayMurf

Reviewed 18 August 2013

The staff are very nice, the food fantastic, the bed was comfy, and that's about it for the positive reviews.
The room had a water leak, while they did offer to move me after my second complaint of water coming through the ceiling, I didn't bother as I only had 1 more night to stay.
When I next work in Melbourne, i'll be staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Julie S
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I will keep this short. You will get the idea.
Check in-no receptionist. Ring the bell and once the very overworked (but pleasant) staff have served meals in the restaurant, they might find time to check you in. Sign on front counter tells you staff have other duties besides to check you in.
Room-Torn curtains, MOULDY BATHROOM CEILING, rusty broken fixtures in shower, can hear people in the bathroom in the next room, terrible water pressure or no hot water at all. Hair in bathroom not mine. Hair (not mine) in bed, toenail clippings (not mine) on the floor next to the bed. Bed was comfy, but pillows were flat as a tack. Airconditioning average.
Hotel-Plastic plants in foyer filthy with dust, stale cooking oil smell overpowers all the public areas where the damp smell does not. Terrible access to rooms from carpark and internally (no lift)
If I had a choice, I would have stayed elsewhere.

Room Tip: avoid the place
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Douggy69
Reviewed 11 June 2013

I was prepared to ignore the terrible smell of cigarette smoke in the non-smoking room, the paint smell from the renovations, the pair of someone else's underwear I found in my bathroom when checking in, and the not-so-great price we were given as part of our large group booking, but the attitude of the duty manager to our group really sealed the poor impression for me.
Our recent trip to Melbourne for a basketball carnival with not only my son's team but others from our club was not quite as pleasant as promised - our group stays every year at the Manor, booking many of the rooms, holding at least one major dinner and eating breakfast every morning. Every year they have guaranteed bookings across the June long weekend. You'd expect that we might get a little special treatment and great prices, wouldn't you?
In past years we've had the use of a conference room as well, including for a team farewell on the final night. This year we were booted just prior to the farewell by the duty manager, who suggested that the room should have been locked, and that it had to be vacated so that the night team could come in to prepare the room for meetings during the week. A night team? On the Sunday night before a public holiday Monday? She also informed us she knew we'd done this every year - so we're not quite sure why, suddenly, just before our food was arriving, we weren't allowed to use the room.
Now most of us are reasonable people, and we accept that bringing in food and drinks from outside is a big ask, but since we'd done it every year before, we thought that it was okay. If it wasn't, then perhaps they could have told us when we checked in? After spending the kind of money we do there every year, we were very disappointed with the way this was handled, and the way we were spoken to. The short sighted, and frankly pretty rude way this duty manager dealt with us has probably resulted in the loss of repeat business, which, for a fairly low quality hotel on the outskirts of Melbourne, I would think is a big deal. Not only that, but the message will no doubt be spread throughout the junior basketball community, so other teams wont be rushing to take up the opportunity to book there.
I understand from longer term club members that they usually have a fairly good experience at the Manor, with the general manager being very helpful - not special, but a good location, and they have given us some special treatment. Such a shame that it was ruined this time by this sort of unpleasantness.

Room Tip: Hopefully the newly renovated rooms will be better and less smoky.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank FredMac
Reviewed 22 May 2013 via mobile

Enough said.

Now I need to add a fee words to make the two hundred character minimum.

Looking around I notice a shower cap covering the smoke alarm. Clever. Those things can be really irritating if the place catches on fire.

I had an interesting shower earlier. The water automatically fluctuated between scalding hot and freezing cold.

If I wasn't in a bad mood from the dirty toilet I would have to say I have happily stayed in worse places. It's not all bad but they could certainly try harder.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 17 May 2013

I stayed at this hotel for over a week during the summer (January) and it was a very pleasant, comfortable stay. The rooms are significantly more spacious than other hotels for the same price (although I believe prices have gone up since I stayed there). The location was good for private and public transport, with bus stops and a train station very close by. (It is not close to the city/CBD - I guess it would be about an hour away by train - but that was fine for me because I didn't need to travel to the city much). Short walk to good shops too. Overall, it was clean and did not lack any of the usual facilities, but for some reason housekeeping did not change the tea/coffee mugs except on request. That was surprising to me because there was no in-room facility to wash dishes and I thought it would be normal to replace used mugs with fresh mugs. Anyway the rooms are set out on the sides of a rectangle/square with Natalie's restaurant in the middle, with a very nice look and feel (lovely use of colours) and live music occasionally. The restaurant is lovely although vegetarian options were quite limited. The hotel also had free laundry facilities, which was great except there was only one washing machine and one dryer so I often had to wait a while for my turn. The internet service was reliable and undercover parking was good. I was happy to have stayed there and under similar circumstances I'd be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ari-A87
Reviewed 14 May 2013

This hotel is okay. My room was clean and the bed quite comfortable. I had a room with a door to the next room. I guess it can be opened to allow a family more space. I do not like these rooms as noise from next door comes through very easily. My advice is that at check-in you ask for a room without a connecting door. The breakfast is good. The $20 charge is not too bad I guess. Parking underneath was complimentary. In summary this hotel is reasonable value for money. I have stayed there at least two times and will probably stay there again when I am in that part of Melbourne on business.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Traveller060651
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mitcham
Ringwood Lake Inn
#1 of 1 in Forest Hill
Sage Melbourne Ringwood
Sage Melbourne Ringwood
#2 of 5 in Ringwood

Been to Quality Hotel Manor? Share your experiences!