“Convenient” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ibis Budget Melbourne Airport

Ibis Budget Melbourne Airport
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Tullamarine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Indonesian first
Zhuhai
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

I had a 12 hour layover in Bisbane, and found this hotel for about $100USD. It's about a 6 minute cab ride from the airport. Check in was fine, the rooms were in good order. Not much that I could see around the hotel, but again, if you're staying here for a layover, then it's no big deal.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Don C, Manager at Ibis Budget Melbourne Airport, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Thanks for your review .
We agree that our hotel is ideal for a 12 hour layover .
Kind Regards
Bendigo, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Stayed here when returning home after very long flight. 10 minute walk from airport terminals, No frills, but very comfortable bed, and fairly quiet considering proximity to freeway and airport. No lift or elevator, so consider this if travelling with luggage, also, walk to/from airport not undercover. Suggest eat at airport, or MacDonalds 2 minute walk away. This hotel served its purpose for two very tired travellers. Bathroom tiny, just shower and toilet, the wash basin is in the main room. Had no difficulty with check out/check in. Has air con and TV, and opening window for fresh air.......but this then allows noise in.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hi,
Thanks very much for the comments posted regarding your recent stay with us .
We are glad you found the bed comfortable and the rooms quiet and that the check in and check out was quick and easy . The rooms are indeed compact, and designed for one night stays but nevertheless we are happy it served it's purpose for 2 tired travellers .
Kind regards
Desford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

I stayed at the Ibis as I had to drop off my daughter late at night and had an early flight myself the following morning. Given I was only going to get about 4 hours sleep I figured it better to stay at the airport, rather than go back to the city. Plus it worked out a similar price to stay at the Ibis when compared to return taxi fares.
The hotel is only 5 minutes walk to the terminal and is pretty well signposted. Check in was quick and the member of staff friendly. One note for older prospective guests - the hotel does not appear to have a lift so ask for a ground floor room. The room was basic but functional. Bathroom contained only a shower and toilet and was plastic (not tiled) I guess to keep the cost down. One weird design flaw is that the sink is on the other side of the bedroom plus there is nowhere to hang your towel in the bathroom ie while you have a shower. Plus points were that the room was quiet, the bed comfortable and the shower decent.
One negative was that the floor was not very clean meaning I had to wipe my feet before putting my socks and shoes on in the morning. Also, when I went to check out there were no staff on duty so I was unsure what to do. In the end I just put my key card in the box by the door and left, hoping that I had done the right thing.
If I had to stay at the airport again I would consider other hotels first, before the Ibis. But, if it was the only hotel available I would spend one night there again (but only one night)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Don C, Manager at Ibis Budget Melbourne Airport, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Hi,
Thank you for your review . It is good to know that you found the walk to the airport terminals easy and well signposted , and that the staff member was friendly and efficient during your check in . Our rooms are indeed basic, but functional for 1 night stays as they are designed for .
There are actually 2 hooks next to the door in the shower/toilet cubicle. It was nice to read thay you found the room quiet and bed comfortable . Your comment regarding the floor will be discussed with the housekeeping staff and the necessary action taken . Unfortunately we do not have 24 hour reception and guests merely have to deposit their room key in the box at the door when leaving early in the morning .
Kind regards
Curitiba, PR
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

The location of this hotel is close to the airport, which is very convenient. Also, the rooms are clean and tidy. That's all.

The hotel does not have elevator. So yes, you might have to carry all your bags up stairs until the third floor as I did.

I've paid in advance for my breakfast as I was called beforehand to check with the hotel if it would be available once I will leave very early in the morning. They agreed. When I have arrived over there they said it wasn't available. They promised a refund which I never received.

If you need a place to sleep one night during a connection, yes it is a good place. If you want enjoy Melbourne, DON'T stay over there.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the ground floor as they don't have elevators.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Dai_Francis1
Hi,
Thanks for the review . We agree that we are a hotel situated at the airport, so it's more relevant to people in transit between flights than for enjoying Melbourne . Our hotel is designed for 1 night stopovers . We are a bit confused as to why our staff would tell you breakfast is available at a certain time and then tell you different during your stay . There seems to have been a miscommunication in this regard . Breakfast times are also clearly displayed in the directory in each room . As regards the breakfast refund, I would be most happy to see you refunded for this. Kindly make contact with myself so that this can be done forthwith . Unfortunately I am unable to retrieve any contact details via this forum to get in touch with you .
Kind Regards