“Nice, hot shower and comfortable bed”

Lamplighter Motor Inn
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Oakleigh
Reviewed 20 October 2013

A group of friends and I stayed in this hotel on Saturday 19 October 2013 due to its proximity to the hall where we were celebrating one of the friend's 60th birthdays.
It is an older style hotel, probably due for some refurbishment but we found it met all our needs with the rooms that we booked, each having a queen and single bed.
Hot showers with good pressure, comfortable bed and large flat screen tv with foxtel and dvd player.
I would stay here again if attending a local function, I live interstate but my other friends live in Melbourne and stayed there due to the convenience and not having to drive home that night after partying.

Room Tip: as previously stated beds very comfortable and nice hot showers, floors on the ground floor all have...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Lamplighter Motor Inn

Reviewed 4 June 2013

I stayed at Lamplighter Motor Inn as it is close to business/school office in the next suburb. My ground floor room was "care-worn" and in need of renovation. The room appeared to be clean until I checked further: It was disappointing to find thick white fluff-dust on the bed head/lighting pelmet and on the towel rail in the bathroom. Also labels had not been removed from the toilet cistern and the tiled splash-back around the washbasin was grubby.

Having stayed at this motel on several other occasions I know this lapse of cleanliness is not the management policy, but is a defect in the standards of the cleaning person.

My room was spacious with queen size bed and single bed, air conditioning, TV, tea and coffee making, refrigerator, microwave oven and toaster.

The property in on Dandenong Road (that is, Princes Highway), which is very busy with commuter traffic, but there has never ever been any problem with traffic noise. Travellers need to be aware that Dandenong Road is a divided highway with central plantation. The access to the property is ONLY from the Melbourne city-bound side, and car turning indicator warning lamps need to be switched on early to warn following motorists of your intentions.

There is a good restaurant at the Lamplighter Motor Inn, and nearby in Oakleigh there are many multi-cultural restaurants as well as a variety of take-away food shops. Oakleigh is a centre for the diaspora of Greek people.

Lamplighter Motor Inn is about 5 minutes drive from the immense Chadstone Shopping Centre, said to be the fashion capital of Australia.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank IanM31
Reviewed 18 April 2013

I have been on the road for 16 days on this trip. We stayed here for a week while doing an event. The room had been renovated and worked well for us. Sure it is not 5 star but it was very clean and tidy. The price was great for what we got in that area. We had no traffic noise. We were very impressed with the restaurant onsite called Balloons, It is Chinese style and is very authentic. If you want to taste hot and spicy Sichuan food then this restaurant and the family running it will give you a great feed. Great dinner and a highlight.

Room Tip: Upstairs at the back
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I booked into Lamplighter for two nights in February for a wedding. I rang to re-confirm my arrival and rang again to say I would be checking in about 9pm. The staffs were great and reassured me that they would be open.
Collecting my keys I went to my room. I have stayed in a few places…. So I always check everything when I first go into my room. First thing I found was a present in the toilet. Flushed it away, and thought.. Ok, let’s have a good look before crashing in my bed. It doesn’t matter what country I travel to, I take baby wipes. So wiped everything before I had to desperately use the toilet.
While on the loo, I could see along the bathroom sink counter has not looked like it has been wiped down in about 3 months. The soap and wash cloth were covered in dust! It has a raised bowl, so anything that had dropped behind the bowl is still there!
I’m pretty hardy and by this time, I just wanted to curl up and sleep. The rest of the room was well cleaned.
I mentioned to reception the next day and showed the photos to her. They said they were going to discuss with the cleaners, and they are not the hotels cleaners. They are contracted. I asked for my room not to be entered while I was away.
On numours occasions the reception called me a taxi which is pretty good as I have stayed at some places and they will just hand you a number.
When I returned to the hotel on the 10th in the morning, I was greeted with a box of chocolates to say sorry- I was heading out the the wedding and the taxi was there. So asked if I could get them later on.
At departure, I inquired where the chocolates were, and if there was anything else to be said about the matter. There was a different lady at the desk this time.
For the money that I paid, I did expect a clean room. Doesn't have to be the ritz. But to be clean. So was pretty disappointed. But with the helpfulness of the staffs, I would recommend to stay there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road. Get's a bit busy in the morning
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 January 2013

My husband and I stayed in lamplighter motel 1440 dandenong rd, oakleigh because it was 1km from a venue we were attending. Found motel on web and made a phone booking to stay 1 night January 2012. I negotiated a price for a Classic room which "apparently" had been renovated. I'm glad I didn't pay full price. The unit was not clean and there is a smell from the toilet. Bathroom has had a renovation at some stage, albeit a poor one. Pillow slips on spare pillows in cupboard not changed as wrinkled and unclean with blood on one of them. The whole unit is dark, dingy and unwelcoming. The grounds haven't seen a gardener since forever ago and broken outdoor furniture and exterior of buildings in disrepair. Tv and frig very good and microwave in unit. Motel in very good location but the place is a dump.

Room Tip: Whole property in need of renovation by qualified tradespeople both interior and exterior and ongoin...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Mary H
Reviewed 2 December 2012

The website pictures are soooooooo deceiving !! the people in the the office say 1 thing "But" mean another. The room had this lovely smell of old urine, or cat pee..was not able to work it out.
They came in to make the bed and tracked mud from 1 end to the other. The 2 that worked in reception need more education..what a pissy experience ... STAY AWAY !!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank nitehalk68
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Let's start with the bubblegum on the bedhead. Yuk! There were stains all over the wall from something which had been spilled on them. I couldn't have a cup of tea because all three mugs were dirty. The smoke alarm was hanging off the wall. The sheets looked like they had seen better days. It was really dusty and dirty all over. We also paid for a classic twin and only got a standard twin. We couldn't do much about it but be warned don't stay theer.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Debbie L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakleigh
Hotel Ibis Melbourne Glen Waverley
Chadstone Executive Motel
Punthill Oakleigh
Punthill Oakleigh
#1 of 1 in Oakleigh

Been to Lamplighter Motor Inn? Share your experiences!