We have stayed twice at Chateau Yeribg, in October 2005 and again this year. The country mansion which is the basis of this Relais et Chateaux-listed hotel dates from the 19th century. Some of the rooms are in the older portion, but most of the accommodation is in two two-storey wings added in the last 10-20 years. We preferred the upper level new rooms, which offer a substantial main room with beds, dining table, television/DVD etc, armchairs and couch and a substantial outside balcony (plus a separate bathroom and entry hall). Our friends found equal comfort in the ground floor rooms in the old stable area.
Breakfast is offered in a conservatory-style informal restaurant, which is light and airy and a great place to start the day (good weather or bad - we have had both). The main evening dining is in Elenore's restaurant - a first class silver service restaurant which as well as providing for the Chateau's guests is often used by locals for special dinners also. Next door is Yering Station, a major local vineyard which was previously the farm part of this property. It has its own splendid cafe for lunch (but not dinner) and often has art and sculpture exhibitions. Both are on an elevated ridge looking across fields and vineyards - very peaceful. We did not tackle the 4am departure sunrise balloon flight (around $A300 per head including champagne breakfast afterwards) but those who did were enthusiastic.
Nearby locations include Yarra Glen village, Healesville (with a famous Australian native wildlife sanctuary) and a further drive through beautiful forest to the small skiing village of Marysville. If you have a couple of spare days when in Melbourne this is a great place to relax and see a different side of Australia. There are some keenly-priced "short break" packages available at most times.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Chateau Yering Hotel a Victorian Mansion built in 1854 and restored to 1997 is set in the heart of the Yarra Valley, Victoria's premier wine region. Chateau Yering Hotel is a gracious five star hotel featuring 32 luxurious suites individually decorated with antiques and fine furnishings. This welcoming property offers unsurpassed fine dining in Eleonore's Restaurant while Sweetwater Cafe serves breakfast daily and lunch Wednesday to Sunday. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, LateRooms, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Chateau Yering Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chateau Yering Historic Hotel
- Chateau Yering Historic Melbourne