“Great Idea”

Cuisines: Australian, Wine Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Tapas Bar set in a wine store - imagine a small bistro set in a Majectic Wine Warehouse - but on a much smaller scale. You eat surrounded by cases of wine. Great choice of wine at lots of different price points. Food was good too. I had the whiting to start and a very good fillet steak for mains. Quite pricy but worth it. The owner is very hands-on and could do with chilling a bit and letting his staff get on with their jobs. I witnessed quite a few times when the (very good) staff were presenting wine to diners and he'd come along, whip the bottle off them and take over. Unecessary we thought.
Well worth a visit though for something different. We were just 2 and were lucky to get in so I guess pre-booking is advisable as it is a train or $40 taxi drive from central Perth to Cottlesloe.

Reviewed 30 May 2013

I was the guy who bought the wine and was labelled a thief by the buffoon who runs the restaurant

A moron in a hurry would have done a better job of sorting this out he accused me of being fully aware of the price of Grange when his own staff member the unfortunate who works for him didn't know the price after a 10 minute wait and she was trained by the buffoon

The food was great and the terrified staff otherwise great but the buffoon needs to find himself a new job as he clearly hates the one he has

1  Thank gr8foodanddrink
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Just been for dinner at Lamonts in Perth, Australia after my friend was honoured with the Freedom of the City but then a perfect evening fell to pieces!

You won't believe this story!

My friend was being honoured tonight with the Freedom of the City over here in Australia. Another friend (a Brit) offered to take us for dinner after the event to celebrate. He has only very recently moved to Australia and knows that we are very fond of decent Bordeaux. Neither we nor he are very educated in Australian wines. To make our evening wonderful he went to Lamonts wine store in Perth earlier in the day to buy some French wines. He does well and buys the decent Bordeaux including a couple of bottles of Larrivet Haut-Baron. In the doorway of the bottle store / restaurant he sees some Aussie wines and takes one of these too. A bottle of Penfolds Grange (didn't see the year). He asks the price and the nice young lady working the says AUD 97.00. Makes sense to him compared to the imported French wines.

This bottle store is also a restaurant. Nice vibe. Eating amongst the bottles of wines, cases etc. Very pleasant. Except when we go back for dinner, with the wines purchased earlier, the waitress says that she is in terrible trouble as she sold my friend the wine earlier and the bottle of Penfolds Grange is actually AUD 970.00 not AUD 97.00 and she is in trouble with her boss.

My poor friend is very embarrassed and sorry for the problem that has arisen. He decides that when the Boss comes in he will fix everything. Easy mistake. We start a really nice dinner. Excellent service and lovely food. The Boss comes in and is obviously being very unpleasant to the girl who made the wine price mistake. My friend goes over to try and resolve the issue. The 'Boss' refuses to accept his explanation. Tells him that he is a thief and knew the price of the wine ( I ask at this point if he saw he was getting a crazy good deal why: a) he didn't take a whole case, b) why we came back that night and c) why he had tried to fix the problem?????). My friend doesn't have a clue about Aussie wines. Neither do we. More expensive than top French wines? Why? Anyway, I try and fix stuff with "The Boss" but he's not interested. We have a lovely dinner and drink all the Bordeaux but we sit with the Penfolds Grange. My friend would have returned it or swapped it for some French but "no deal". Our evening was ruined. In a last desperate measure my friend offered to swap the crazy priced but undercharged wine against the pathetic AUD 447 for the meal but "The Boss" refused to do that and I paid for the dinner.

We got stiffed with a bottle of wine we didn't want. "The Boss" was given every opportunity to rectify the mistake but ignored every one of them. I don't know if he is the manager or owner but seriously he needs to reconsider his role in a service industry. My friend would never have cheated him and has more than enough funds to buy the bottle, the case, the store and even the vineyard but was treated like a criminal. I am shocked and mortified by this episode. It is so un-Australian. It is so unprofessional. I have eaten in good restaurants and have enjoyed drinks at restaurants all over the world for the last 35 years and I have never seen such bad guest interaction from a manager. Pathetic. Huge pity. He will cause a potentially excellent restaurant to fail.

3  Thank Kruger C
Reviewed 16 March 2013

My first experience with Lamont's was when my girlfriend was married in Kalamunda WA - Lamont's catered, and provided the Wine & Champagne. Never forgotten, wonderful, wonderful food. Next when Lamont's appeared in the Perth City, where I worked, more fabulous food and wines. Now I find Lamont's in Cottesloe where we were greeted, seated and provided with great coffee and dessert. Now living in NSW, but frequent visitors to Perth, we will certainly return for Tapas and wines now we know all the great locations. Spoil yourself.

Reviewed 23 November 2012

Well nothing stays the same and sadly when an organisation stretches itself too far something is bound to give. A tired menu,a tired chef -who is about to vacate- and a big change of wait staff gave me the impression that all was not well at the wine store one of my favourite lunch spots in Cottesloe

2  Thank wanderingspoon