“Very disappointed”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Beach
South Australia
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed 10 April 2010

Our first visit to Western Australia was not a pleasant one, we had booked accommodation for 6 nights (March/April 2010) at the Ocean View Motel, Lawley Street, North Beach, WA. We booked after several phone calls to ensure the premises were 'clean' and centrally located. We were very disappointed to find the room dirty (not new dirt but old dirt) and we expected a full kitchen. Upon checking the information supplied in the room I was horrified to learn we had to wash our dishes in a plastic bucket (no sink) so how were we to prepare a meal!!! And the bathroom was disgusting. We were tired from travelling on our first night but on the second day I went to the local supermarket and purchased gloves, shower cleaner, scourer and a toothbrush to clean the bathroom. We reported to reception that the fridge in our room was not working properly, yes it would be checked! The next day and for the duration of our stay we had no cold drinks etc. We even asked for a bucket to put ice in so we could have cold drinks. For the price you would expect the 'basics' to be functional. For the first 3 days of our stay I found reception staff unhelpful the rest of the stay the staff were more pleasant and willing to help. I am in the tourism industry which in this case is a disadvantage. I could not recommend this accommodation.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BrandySouthAustralia
Michael C, General Manager at Ocean View Motel, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking to time to write this review following your stay at the Ocean View Motel and even though this reply is 4 years late, we wanted to reply nevertheless!

We can offer our personal assurance to you that we have improved since your stay in 2010. Please accept my apologies should your stay not have gone as well as we would have hoped.

We would welcome the opportunity to look after you again, if you should have a need to stay please do contact me, it would be lovely to meet you in person and look after your reservation requirements.

Michael

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney
Reviewed 17 October 2007

Stayed for a week on a business trip because the price was right and the location is great if your idea of a good start to the day is a brisk, early-morning walk along the oceanfront, including breakfast in one of the excellent nearby cafes (the Soda Cafe about 15 mins' walk south, or the Wild Fig Cafe, a similar distance north). There are other breakfast options closer by (5 minutes' walk) and at the motel itself, which I didn't try. There are also some OK dinner options nearby, from take-away fish-and-chips, to smart Italian dining. For a cheap-ish suburban motel, I found my room more than decent and have stayed in far worse places for more money. The wireless laptop coverage was a bit weak on my first day, but after a word to the staff, they managed to do something and it was better for the remainder of the week. One definitely needs one's own wheels, or (in my case) a cooperative business colleague for transport. I'd stay here again for a business trip, but not for a personal holiday: but that's just my personal taste. The only sour point (to date) is that on check-in I agreed to pay a higher tariff in order to qualify for earning frequent flyer points. Those points are yet to turn up ...

• Liked — Ocean-front location.
  • Disliked — Can't grumble.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank AntonyG
Michael C, General Manager at Ocean View Motel, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking time to review the Ocean View Motel following your stay. Whilst I do not propose to offer a reply to your comments some months after you published them, I do wish to express our gratitude for your feedback.

Upon commencement at the Hotel this January 2013, the team and I have set about on a number of new and very exciting initiatives all aimed at ultimately increasing guest satisfaction and loyalty to our brand and collection of accommodation choices. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your short stay with us!

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of your company again, and I am delighted to act as your point of contact for any future stay.

Once again thank you very much for your feedback, should you wish to discuss any aspect of our reply please call me on 08 9245 8000 extension 409

Ottawa
Reviewed 28 September 2007

The view of the Inidan Ocean from our room was very nice. The room itself was a bit of a disappointment as it was listed as 3.5 stars out of 5 so I expected more than we received. The bedroom and balcony
areas sections were acceptable; the area where we could make coffee etc was awkward but the bathroom really let the place down. One of the wash basin taps leaked and the water formed a pool in front of the toilet so when we needed to use it, our feet got wet. The public transportation listed on the web page is inadequate and although we asked for help reading the bus timetables none was forthcoming from a staff member who admitted she had only been there for 8 months (obviously not long enough to learn anything useful to their clients!). Another business owner nearby described the bus service as "crap". In the morning we decided to find alternative accomodation
so went back to our room to pack and found a female panty item called
a "thong" on the night table beside my daughter's bed. It was not ours so I returned the item to the Reception area (delicately held in a tissue) and told the receptionist we were checking out and wanted a full refund of the fees paid for the rest of the 4 days we had planned to stay there. They were very good on this point and refunded our money without argument.

Stayed September 2007
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking to time to write this review following your stay at the Ocean View Motel and even though this reply is 6 years late, we wanted to reply nevertheless!

We can offer our personal assurance to you that we have improved since your stay in 2007. Please accept my apologies should your stay not have gone as well as we would have hoped.

Should you be visiting WA again, please contact me and we will be very happy to tell you about our progress and look at possible bookings for you. Thank you once again for taking time to review us.

Travellers are raving about these North Beach hotels

perth
Reviewed 5 September 2006

I stayed in this motel for seven months.The reason so long is that i recently seperated from my wife.I found the conditions and setting of the motel very good.The beach front is so close that it makes it a pleasure to go to the beach.

This is not a five star establishmnet,but i found it very comfortable indeed.The owners were a pleasure to have as my hosts-considering I stayed so long.I found them to be very helpful and friendly not only with me, but all other guests that I had contact with.

If the need arises I would most definitely stay again and would gladly recommend anyone else to stay

Thanks for a wonderfull seven months
Mike

• Stayed January 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank jarvy

Sweden
Reviewed 3 September 2006

We've stayed in this littlebeautiful motel the last couple of days our holidays in West Australia.
The room was very clean and refurbished and we were very pleased with the service and the magnificent location.

Stayed July 2006
1 Thank S120305am

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 March 2006

My husband & I stayed in this motel mainly for its location as we're scouting for an oceanfront property to live in permanently --- we've relocated to Perth from Sydney. We were given a room on 1st floor w/ balcony + oceanview. A sign in the room reads room serviced daily, but it turned out this was confined to changing towels & clearing the rubbish bin and "making the bed". During our 7-nite stay, although the beds were made, our bed linen + pillow cases were never changed at all; we had to use the single bed as an alternate, which was never maintained as well; the carpet was never vacuumed for our entire 7-nite stay; 2 soaps + 1 shampoo + usual coffee/tea provided in the room on Day 1 and was never replenished. On Day 4, we had to request for 2 more soaps + shampoo + coffee/tea. Bedbugs troubled us from Day 1 and we had to buy Glade to disinfect our room. On Day 2, I bought a large very thick beach towel to place on top of their bedsheet + pillow so I could have a bug-free night. We later found out from another guest that pets are allowed into the guestrooms. The freezer is smelly & ice-laden so much so the door popped out. While toilet paper was replenished, the shower, toilet & sink were never cleaned at all during our 7-nite stay. Towels are no longer white and yet still being placed in the rooms. Only consolation for us was the room did not reek of tobacco odour (which was a common complaint by other guests) - we got lucky there. When we checked out, my husband reported these issues to the owner but she was non-committal at all and uttered a remark to her husband in their language (a bit rude, we thought). In hindsight, we should have stayed in the city for service standards. Because of our sad experience at Comfort Inn Ocean View North Beach, we definitely won't be staying again for more than 2 days in a family-run motel. Despite being accredited by Comfort Inn, this property is definitely a no-go zone. Excellent location though.

Stayed March 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to write this review following your stay at the Ocean View Motel and even though this reply is 6 years late, we wanted to reply nevertheless!

We can offer our personal assurance to you that we have improved since your stay in 2006. Please accept my apologies should your stay not have gone as well as we would have hoped.

Since my personal commencement in 2013, we have invested in fresh painting across all bedrooms, a soft furnishing update, various maintenance initiatives and of course an engaged team. We have other projects in the pipeline for this year with the aim of continuously improving on our offering. Of course it would be worth highlighting we do now offer a comprehensive daily housekeeping service.

For the benefit of other readers we are happy to confirm we were accredited in late 2012 as an official 3 star property and retained that accreditation again in 2013.

We would welcome the opportunity to look after you again, if you should happen to stay please do contact me, it would be lovely to meet you in person and look after your requirements.

Also consider these accommodations in or near North Beach
Quality Resort Sorrento Beach
Hillarys Harbour Resort
Hillarys Harbour Resort
#1 of 1 in Hillarys

Been to Ocean View Motel? Share your experiences!