“Best Breakfast in Australia”

Goanna Cafe and Gallery
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Quindalup
Price range: US$8 - US$23
Cuisines: Australian, British
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A family run bush café serving gourmet breakfast, seasonally inspired lunch, homemade cakes & organic fair trade coffee. Goanna Gallery features beautiful Australian design and quality gift ware.All this surrounded by native Australian bushland and our Sculpture Walk; a natural playground for all ages. Our menu changes seasonally and reflects the fantastic local produce of the Margaret River-Yallingup region.
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Breakfast in Australia”
Reviewed 13 September 2011

My wife and I visited Dunsborough recently, only for a couple of days. The first day we were there we had breakfast at Goanna Cafe and Gallery.

It is in a beautiful Australian bush setting with quirky artwork inside and out. There is a bush walk that takes you out the back of the cafe, which was quite pleasant while we waited for our breakfast.

We ordered the Eggs Benedict and Eggs Florentine. My wife was pregnant at the time so we mentioned that she would not be able to eat some of things on the menu. Our host Ali was more than helpful and understanding, offering alternatives and making us feel quite at home. Ali also made an amazing Flat White coffee. The food was fantastic, you could tell that everything had been sourced well and was super fresh. It was well seasoned and the portions were more than generous.

Although we only had one more morning in the area went back the next morning as the menu sounded so good, and the service had been so friendly. This time I had the Spanish Breakfast and my wife the Pancakes. So often a restaurant will impress one day and then disappoint the next, not Goanna! You could tell that the owners, Ali and Duncan took real pride in what they were serving and the food was fantastic.

We did manage to make it for lunch at a couple of wineries while we were in the area, but found ourselves wishing we had made our way back to Goanna Cafe to see what they had to offer for lunch!

In short, I think you would be hard pressed to find a better breakfast in Australia.

Tim from the UK

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank Tim M

Bergen, Norway
“Unexpected treat!”
Reviewed 23 July 2011

Surf, sand, sun and the somewhat pretentious wine-tomfoolery..... thats the story for most of the margaret river region. So, thanks to a tip off, it was a great treat to find Goanna cafe hidden on a hill amongst the native trees - away from the normal crowds.

Top food and drink too. I asked one of the waiters who the owner is as the breakfast menu was unlike anything else i'd seen in WA. Apparently he's the chef, and used to work for a Michelin star restaurant in England. I guess he had too much of the stress and needed to chill out a bit! Needless to say he must have learnt a few tricks as the food was unique and delicious.

Its just a shame they only do breakfast and lunch... I'd love to be love to be able to go there for dinner!

• Visited November 2010
1 Thank VikingLuke
Madrid
“Gourmet cuisine in the outback”
Reviewed 23 July 2011

I visited Goanna on two occasions while I was over. The first was for brunch. I tried the delicious Spanish style breakfast with perfectly poached eggs and a bit of chorizo to spice it up-yum! A great start to the day and very reasonably priced! I really liked the relaxed feel of the place, and the staff were very friendly and down to earth. The bright coloured art work, furnishings and chilled out music give the place a great vibe. For that reason, I invited my friend back to try the afternoon tea. There's nothing better than an English style afternoon tea prepared to perfection, in a real Aussie setting! Two large scones each, dollops of freshly whipped cream and homemade jam. I couldn't resist a slice of the rocky road, which made it home in one piece to Spain! Exquisite!

• Visited April 2011
2 Thank clarat56
London, United Kingdom
“Best nosh on the West coast.”
Reviewed 22 July 2011

A real surprise to find this hidden treasure. The place has a very warm and welcoming vibe, with friendly faces all round. With a family-friendly set up inc playground and sandpit (if my envious glances over to the kids' play are well-recalled!).

On to the food- for such a warm environment, the quality of the food-comparable any top city restaurants that i know- was a pleasant surprise. Choices ranged, as i remember, from gourmet sandwiches to meats and more wholesome dishes. The homemade 'Guinness' bread has stayed with me in my appetite until this day!

My family and I have been back there several times now- always enjoying the entire experience. There's a gallery and little shop attached and we've a collection of local souvenirs, but the most memorable items are definitely found on the menu list.

Highly recommended- be sure to go out of your way for a taster.

• Visited December 2010
2 Thank Hannahlovesfood
Margaret River
“First class food and a friendly atmosphere in a beautiful natural setting”
Reviewed 19 July 2011

We loved our lunch at Goanna Cafe. It is a unique and relaxing experience, and is nestled in beautiful natural bush and wildflowers; the day we were there the sun filtered down through the eucalypts and the tall grass trees.

Service was very friendly, and after ordering we wandered round the pretty galleryand browsed the goodies, all of which were very reasonably priced.

Lunch arrived all too soon, and we were impressed at the presentation and quality of the food, which was restaurant standard in a relaxed cafe setting. Duncan's passion and attention to detail were in evidence at very reasonable prices - I chose the delicious tasting plate, while my wife had the special, which was a splendid slow cooked lamb shank with garlic mash and fresh perfectly cooked vegetables. Our byo wine was opened and glasses supplied at no charge, which is very unusual these days, having been purchased from a nearby vineyard.

For afters we tried the mouthwatering home bakes and tarts served with first class coffee.

All in all a delightful experience which we can't recommend highly enough.

• Visited March 2011