“Good Location but very tired”

Seashells Scarborough
Auckland
“Good Location but very tired”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My husband and 2 children stayed here.

GOOD
Location is fantastic - right across the road from the beach
Supermakert Coles is close by
Great restaurants/Pub within walking distance
Lovely view from the room

BAD
Staff not at all helpful. We checked in and given very brioef instructions on where our apt was - we struggled to find it - very frustrating when you are hot and have your luggage

Room was very very tired and definately in need of a decent clean

Shower was a dribble and bathroom was very run down

Balcony was so small we could not all fit/sit out on it!!

Pool was very small for the size of the complex but this could be because the beach is right across the road.

Would I stay here again - probably not as way too expensive for what you get.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Sydney
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We recently stayed 3 nights at Seashells. We were staying the 'collections' apartments which is a fancy way of saying dodgy and run down. We have been on a 2 week trip around WA and this was the most we had to pay so I was expecting something pretty nice. It was really disappointing. Very run down. Paint peeling off the doors and walls. I followed the instructions on how to use the hot water system but found the shower was still scalding or freezing. It was very dark throughout the whole apartment. There were fans in both rooms but they made a loud noise on anything higher than low. We had emailed the day before requesting our room to be ready an hour earlier because we needed to put our baby down for a sleep. I was told no guarantees which is fair enough. When we arrived to check in, the receptionist was rude and we were told that the room wasn't ready and they were very busy. I get this, but given we had given some notice, and check out in 10am, how hard can it be to get the room ready an hour earlier??
Overall, there are plenty of options along the beautiful Scarborough beach. Don't select this one- there's better out there.

Room Tip: Can't speak for the others but avoid the collections
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Amy G
Margaret River, Australia
Reviewed 17 February 2014

As my husband and I had a really wonderful stay at the Mandurah Seashells in May 2013, I booked into the Scarborough Seashells about two weeks ago expecting more or less the same level. What a disappointment and what a difference! If it had not been for Helen - who apparently does not work at Seashells Scarborough any more - I would already have written a devastating review about this place then! However, with her very kind and nice way, she had managed to turn the really bad and disappointing experience into a nice human encounter. Back then, I arrived after the official opening hours of the reception, which seem to be unusually early for a 4 1/2 star accomodation!!! Nothing would have been wrong with that, but apparently, one of the other guests had taken my key instead of his own out of the keybox at the entrance. Therefore, I received an "upgrade" to a 3 instead of a 2 bedroom apartment although the latter would have been more than enough for myself! Unfortunately, the 3 bedroom apartment, which had been booked by a group of six people, was in the Sand Castle, the dependance, and not in the main Seashells building. Therefore, without receiving a really helpful plan, I had to find my way to the Sand Castle after midnight and after a very long and tiring journey. If there hadn't been two young, really nice ladies swimming in the Sand Castle pool, I would probably never have found the apartment or even the lift to get upstairs as I couldn't find any indications whatsoever. In hotels and other accomodations, you usually expect indications in the hallways, which show you in which direction you have to go to to find your room in a reasonable amount of time. Not so at the Sand Castle! After a really long, tiring Odyssey and totally exhausted, I finally arrived at "my" apartment, which was spacious and apparently renovated but without much taste or attention to details. Besides, it was neither very clean nor maintained very well. The following morning, I was awakened early because the group of six people, who had booked and paid for the apartment, complained at the reception and wanted me to pay the full amount of the 3 bedroom apartment, although it was clearly their fault to have taken the wrong key out of the keybox. As I already mentioned, Helen managed to handle this difficult situation with tact and style and I therefore did not give vent to my anger back then.

As the view on the ocean and the location right on Scarborough Beach are so stunning and perfect and as I unexpectedly had to extend my business trip to Perth one more day, I decided today to book a room at Seashells again despite the negative experience two weeks ago. I booked again via Hotels.com. I called the accomodation at 4.30 pm to let them know that I would arrive between 5 and 6 pm. Unfortunately, nobody answered the phone. When I arrived at 5.45 pm, the reception was already closed and there was no answer to my calls on either of the two phone numbers noted for assistance or emergencies next to the keybox at the entrance. In my last attempt to reach someone, I rang the door bell and all of a sudden a lady appeared, who turned out to be the manager of Seashells at Scarborough. Yet all she did, was just informing me that the reception was closed, that she didn't have any internet access any more and that all the apartments were fully booked anyway. When I pointed out that my room had been confirmed and paid for, she just told me that I would have to check with Hotels.com to get a refund the following day. No attempt to help or assist me in anyway whatsoever!!! I myself have been in the hospitality business for almost 30 years and therefore know perfectly well that things can go wrong. However, it all depends on how you deal with it afterwards. In this case, I would expect the manager of an establishment like Seashells to care more for their returning customers and to try to give at least some kind of assistance in some way in such circumstances. But this lady just couldn't care less! No apologies, no regrets!

What a difference at Rendezvous, where I finally did get a room for the night after calling various places at Scarborough Beach. They seemed to feel bad for their competitors and even offered me a complimentary upgrade to a suite with a private spa and a breathtaking view on the 25th floor to make my evening a pleasant after all despite the annoying experience at Seashells.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Silvenus
ManagerSS, General Manager at Seashells Scarborough, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear Silvenus,

Thank you for your feedback.

Firstly please allow me to apologise for the errors experienced during your time with us.

It is reassuring to hear that our staff handled the situation on your initial arrival with tact and style and I thank you for acknowledging this.

Unfortunately upon your second arrival at Seashells it was very quickly apparent that another error had occurred. After personally attending to you at the time of arrival, I apologised and explained that there had been an error, that we were fully booked therefore we did not have an apartment to offer you. Understandably you became noticeably unhappy with the situation and immediately exited the property. Had I been given the opportunity I would have been more than happy to offer assistance in finding you alternative accommodation for the night.

Upon opening the next morning (approx at 8am) I had our staff contact you to apologise for the error and immediately organise a full refund through the third party the booking was made through. A complimentary voucher was offered as compensation. At the time you appeared understanding and whilst disgruntled about the error, reasonably happy with the outcome and accepted our small token of compensation for your troubles.

Silvenus I am sincerely sorry that your overall experience at Seashells has not been a good one. I can understand your frustration. In saying that I really would like the opportunity to welcome you back to Seashells, to show you that we are in fact a fine establishment with a lot to offer. Please do not hesitate to contact me direct should you wish to discuss this matter further.

Your Sincerely
Jemma Moran
Property Manager
Australia
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We stayed here recently for 1 week. The apartment was clean and comfortable and aircon was a plus as it was very hot. It was great to be able to cook our own meals as Perth is expensive. We had a nice view of the ocean from our balcony.

The apartment is in a great location very close to Scarborough Beach, restaurants and cafes and very close to Coles supermarket. We had a nice quiet apartment which was great.

Now there were a few things that we think need definitely need improving considering its not a cheap place to stay:

1. The kitchen could do with more utensils/cooking appliances etc. Even some basics were missing which was a bit annoying.

2. Bring your own beach towels -- This property does not include beach towels in your room rate which I thought was rather scabby. You would think beach towels could be included in the room rate like majority of properties we have stayed at but you had to pay extra which I thought was ridiculous. I know it wasn't much but they could include them in our room rate, really!

3. The outdoor furniture on the balcony was quite old.

4. The lift was very slow and at time we thought it wasn't working at all.

5. The pool was nice but could of done with some cleaning.

We did enjoy our stay but they could definitely do with some improvements and we don't really think its lives up to a 4.5 star property. The furnishings in the apartment and the kitchen we don't think it would fit in the 4.5 star category. Maybe it did back in the day when they were brand new but doubt it now.

Once again Trip Advisor do not have a GOOD rating so we had to go with very good but we would of chosen GOOD instead. Come on Trip Advisor put in a GOOD rate.

Scarborough is a beautiful part of Perth.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Wangaratta
Reviewed 4 February 2014

My family spent a few nights at Seashells recently. We loved the location and the view from our balcony. On the surface the 2 bed apartment looked pretty good, however could do with a really good clean. Bathroom tiles (wall and floor) and stove top especially. On several occasions the lift did not work. Location, right across from the beautiful beach was fantastic.

Room Tip: I was advised that only the 3 bedroom apartments have a view both up and down the coast. Other room...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank happestos
Geelong
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Our apartment had a large balcony overlooking the tranquil blue waters of the Indian Ocean, a perfect place to eat breakfast, read a book and just soak in the vista. The apartment had everything we may have required and was a great size for accommodating 4 adults and a toddler. There was plenty of room between bedrooms so everyone had a peaceful night sleep.
The swimming pool was a hit and a safe area for supervised children to swim (the beach was quite rough and probably not as safe). It was a perfectly reasonable home away from home and we felt quite relaxed here. The rooms are not as tired as some and in comparable condition to other places of similar vintage. We didn't notice anything that needed work or maintenance in our apartment.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the street with a view of the beach.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

Location wonderful but the apartment needs work very tired, air con didn't work, we got stuck in the lift for 30 minute 7 people was in it and the staff didn't even ask if we was ok , hardly no pans to cook with, I had to go and tell them that our sheets / towels /apartment had not been cleaned / changed. The list goes on.

• Stayed December 2013
3 Thank lizzylocks
ManagerSS, General Manager at Seashells Scarborough, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay here with us.

Unfortunately the lift did breakdown during your stay and we apologise for the ordeal, as this is not an experience that anyone would appreciate having to endure. We can assure you that as soon as we were made aware of the breakdown all measures were taken to quickly rectify the issue. I do recall speaking to you personally at the time and am grateful that you and your family are ok.

I was most surprised to hear your comments of the apartment being ‘tired’ as the specific apartment in mention has recently undergone a soft refurbishment with new bathrooms, flooring and window fixtures throughout.

We do thank you for making us aware of the issues experienced during your stay as this allowed our onsite team to attend and rectify in a timely manner.

Do not hesitate to contact me at the property on 08 9341 6644 should you wish to discuss the matter further.

Kind Regards
Jemma Moran
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Sunmoon Boutique Resort
#4 of 6 in Scarborough
West Beach Lagoon
#2 of 6 in Scarborough
Indian Ocean Hotel
#3 of 6 in Scarborough
East Perth
Fraser Suites Perth

Been to Seashells Scarborough? Share your experiences!