“Goodbye”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Scarborough
Australia
“Goodbye”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

The Sunmoon Resort has been good to me over the last few years and there is plenty to like about this resort. The tropical ambience, a restaurant that should, in my opinion, have at least 1 Michelin Star and its location; within walking distance to the beach.

I have been a guest there multiple times and have visited their restaurant on many an occasion. It was therefore a no-brainer that I would take my new partner there for a night out over the Easter Holidays. A nice spa, a walk on the beach, rounded off with a fine meal at the Sunmoon Restaurant.

Imagine my horror when I was told that I would have to work over the East Break. It was therefore with a heavy heart that I rang Sunmoon and asked if I could cancel my reservation.

Ok. I understand. But with it being Easter I am sure that the room won’t sit idle.

Ok. Could I please push it back a week so my partner and I could enjoy a relaxing weekend away.

Ok. My parents will be in town over Easter, could I transfer the booking to them. I’m sure they’ll appreciate your facilities.

Ok….

Could I please speaker to the manager…..

I am willing to pay a reasonable amount for you time and any administrative issues…..

No! No! No!

She didn’t even sound apologetic. She didn’t try to meet me half way. She didn’t seem to appreciate that I wasn’t simply changing my mind and that I was a long term, satisfied customer that was trying to deal with circumstances beyond my control. It wasn’t even last minute; they have 40+ days to find a new occupant for the room.

For those of you who have read my previous reviews I’m sure you’ve realised that I am a glass half full kind of person and that I am more than willing to let a lot slide as I realise that life can sometimes throw you a curve ball and that one shouldn’t expect champagne on a beer budget.

However, this is the last straw. Since 2009 I have stayed at the Sunmoon Resort 5 times and dined in their restaurant on as many if not more occasions. I consider myself a loyal customer. Yet this total inflexibility and inability to at least compromise a little has turned me off the Sunmoon Resort.

I’m sorry to say this but thanks for the memories but I WILL NOT be back.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't want to cancel / change your reservation. Zero flexibility.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sven W
Michael C, General Manager at Sunmoon Boutique Resort, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear Sven W.

Thank you for your feedback, it is always good to hear from regular guests, I was concerned to say the least to have read your comments. The team here have read your review with interest and find it somewhat bewildering that you had to go to this length to make contact with myself.

Having made some preliminary enquiries with the third party online booking tool (which you reserved and prepaid your booking with) and also with all staff on our small front office team, we are struggling to see any trace of your telephone call pertaining to your requested cancellation.

Your point is well made about our reservation terms and conditions. There are many reasons for having this policy in place, and at this time it is unlikely we will change the policy. That said we do receive requests from time to time similar to yours and we always find a solution which is beneficial to both parties.

It was good to finally speak with you direct via email yesterday. I was reassured to have received your email confirmation that you did not speak with a member of The Sunmoon team, rather your account of the rude team member pertained to a team member belonging to the online travel firm which you booked through. We have passed your email request to have your review withdrawn from the Tripadvisor website direct to Tripadvisor themselves.

We look forward to hearing from you in regards to our flexible offer, please do let me know what you decide and we are happy to assist.

My telephone number is 08 9245 8000 and my email address is gm@sunmoon.com.au. Once again, thank you for your feedback, we look forward to speaking with you.

Michael Cheung

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Customer service was excellent - a rare treat in Perth!
Our room was immaculately clean with Queen size bed - well worth paying the extra for a balcony to relax on.
Very close to the sea, but be aware that a dual carriageway road lies between the hotel and the sea front. I am a light sleeper, but noise insulation was perfect.
Pool is a decent length and warm.
Will be happy to return.

Room Tip: Worth paying the extra for a balcony room. Be aware that a sea view room will be a view over the dua...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Michael C, General Manager at Sunmoon Boutique Resort, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Joan

I thank you for taking the time to leave such wonderful feedback on your recent stay at The Sunmoon Boutique Resort. I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed the experience and how highly you valued the service. I will be sure to share your comments with the team here and I look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to amazing WA!

Kind regards,
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Lovely small hotel. An oasis in the heat and 2 minute walk to the beach where you can watch the sun go down on the Indian ocean sipping a fabulous cocktail from one of the many bars and restaurants along the Esplanade. The staff are excellent and go out of their way to help. The rooms are spacious with excellent beds and a much needed and very effective air conditioner which made visiting in the hotter part of the year bearable. We would book here again very happily. Highly recommended.

Dear Ms. Fairhall

Thank you for staying with us recently at The Sunmoon Boutique Resort. It has been a great pleasure to host and pamper you.

We are pleased to hear that you found the service on offer to be of a very high standard and that you enjoyed all other aspects of the Hotel.

We look forward to seeing you again and please do say hello in person on your next visit!

Reviewed 23 February 2014

I had a room here as a surprise for my partners birthday - he wasn't disappointed!
We had a lovely room overlooking the pool & sat outside watching the sun go down was absolute bliss..
Upon arrival I was greeted by a very professional receptionist who had me checked in within minutes and I was on my way.
My partner loved the room & we even decided to go down to the restaurant for dinner. The baked Barramundi is a must!!

The room type we stayed in was a Queen Hotel Balcony which was a perfect size!
Check out was quick even for a busy Sunday Morning.

We will most defiantly be back & thank you to all the lovely staff at the Sunmoon Boutique Resort!

Dear Kate

I was thrilled to read your review following your recent stay with us at The Sunmoon Boutique Resort. We are delighted to read that we made you and your partner feel comfortable and special. Thanks for your lovely feedback about the facilities on offer here at the Hotel and very nice to see that you also enjoyed your meal at The Sunmoon Restaurant & Bar.

I was glad to see that we managed to assist in what was an enjoyable outcome for your partner's birthday and we look forward to seeing you soon.

My best wishes,
Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Australia
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Our very positive experience started right from the moment we checked in with the receptionist, on hearing that my husband had recently had a heart attack, reallocated us a room that was accessible via the lift which was greatly appreciated. This put us in a beautiful room overlooking the stunning pool area and looking out towards the beautiful Indian Ocean. We particularly enjoyed the room service meals provided bythe restaurant, they were of the highest standard, absolutely delicious and delivered in good time by very friendly and helpful staff. I could not fault this hotel at all. Would recommend it to anyone.

Dear Cathy

Thank you for taking time to write a review following your recent stay here at The Sunmoon Boutique Resort.

We are pleased to hear that you had a lovely break and delighted to hear that you found our reception team to be of assistance. Lovely to hear that you both enjoyed room service as well.

The bedrooms which you refer to do have some quite nice views, these rooms fall into the category of queen hotel balcony or deluxe studio bedrooms. My personal favourite is room 209 which is a deluxe studio room!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and thank you once again for your feedback.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Went for a Valentines Day dinner, it was a 5 course set menu. The restaurant is disgusting and an absolute waste of money. The waiters just drop the food at your table without saying a word, took for me to get up and ask to get a drink after half an hour, that took another 20 minutes to come. They also started by giving us the same started 3 times and after an hour I thought they may have figured it out but they didn't, I went to complain and was essentially told to sit down my oysters will be sent out soon by the extremely rude manager, that wasn't the right dish either. Food was ok but inconsistent, steak was a very low quality cut and was literally burnt on one side, other than that it took at least 20 minutes between dishes which meant we ended up leaving at 11:00. The people next to us left 3 meals on because they hated the service and the food and the people over from us came in after us and were given their meals in quick succession, but after finishing realised that the staff had forgotten one. Also had a dead bug come out of the water jug into my partners glass which they immediately changed but may say something about cleanliness. The manager is also loud and abruptive, it is a quiet restaurant and he is constantly heard yelling at the other staff, telling them to to "shut up" . This all happened on our night there and there was only one waiter who seemed to have any organisational or people skills. If you want to have a nice dinner, do not go there, it was pathetic.

• Stayed February 2014
4 Thank Scotty1994
Michael C, General Manager at Sunmoon Boutique Resort, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear Scotty

Thank you for sending us your feedback and for choosing to dine with us on Valentine’s evening last week.

Our aim is to provide our guests with memorable experiences and it was disappointing to learn we seemingly fell short of our usual high standards as you suggest. We do apologise should you feel the service for you and your partner was below par. I have sat with the team to discuss your feedback and sat with our Restaurant Manager in private to discuss your rather personal comments about his behaviour on the evening in question. We would be very happy to welcome you back to our Restaurant & Bar and request that you reach out to me so I can discuss this with you.

Our records indicate that you have not stayed in the hotel overnight in a room so I am unsure as to how to answer your grading of our bedrooms and respective cleanliness of the bedrooms? On a lighter note your grading of our location is well received.

We appreciate your observations and comments and trust that we can look forward to welcoming you back to our Restaurant & Bar in the near future.

Kind regards
Michael Cheung

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Reviewed 13 February 2014

We stayed at the Sunmoon for our honeymoon night when we got married in January. From the minute we walked in the door to the moment we left it was a truly wonderful experience. The service we received at reception was exceptionally professional yet warm and friendly.
Our room was chilled with the air con already on for us and the room was gorgeous. Sparkling Clean, huge, modern...my only downer was the view - Shell servo with a huge graffiti wall (not a fault of the hotel though).
Within ten minutes of getting to our room we were surprised by a knock at the door which was room service with a complimentary bottle of champagne for the newlyweds from the General Manager . We were stunned and so happy to get such a nice surprise !
We had dinner at the restaurant and it was absolutely delicious and faultless. Intimate alfresco with candles, chilled music and friendly efficient service.
Everything was wonderful about this place. I would highly recommend it for proximity to everything in Scarborough, service, cleanliness, privacy and friendly staff.
As we are moving out of Perth we will definitely return and stay here again when we next get the chance.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view room - not ocean view unless you're on the top floor!!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Congratulations once again on your recent wedding. I thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent visit to The Sunmoon Boutique Resort and also for choosing to stay with us when in Scarborough.

It is lovely to read how much you enjoyed the experience. Your comments have been shared with the team who are very grateful for your feedback. Some good news to report is that graffiti you refer to is now a freshly painted wall!

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Sunmoon Boutique Resort in the not too distant future and would be only too happy to assist with your arrangements at that time.

Kind regards,

Michael Cheung
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Indian Ocean Hotel
Pan Pacific Perth
Pan Pacific Perth
#12 of 64 in Perth
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,093 reviews

Been to Sunmoon Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!