“grubby and expensive..ignore the photos...”

Scarborough Apartments
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Scarborough
Melbourne, Australia
“grubby and expensive..ignore the photos...”
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Really disappointing apartments. Photos on site are not a true depiction of the accommodation - mould on the roof of the bathroom, dirty windows, grubby bathroom, doonas are without a cover, sheets too short for the bed, pillows with more lumps than a bag of potatoes and a tv with 3 channels (not digital and not wide screen) making viewing of Olympics appalling...oh, and once checked in there was no follow up in customer service meaning we had to visit reception to specifically request toilet paper.
pretty disappointing given the cost per night. Staff were pleasant but didn't make efforts to fix issues.
As apartments are not in the "resort" you are not important enough to be looked after.
Wished I checked this site prior to booking!!

Room Tip: Don't bother, shop around and select another hotel, the road is super noisy and rooms are grubby...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Michael C, General Manager at Scarborough Apartments, responded to this review, 21 July 2013
Dear Lucy

Thank you very much for taking time to review the Motel following your stay. Whilst I do not propose to offer a reply to your comments some months after you published them, I do wish to express our gratitude for your feedback.

Upon commencement at the Hotel this January 2013, the team and I have set about on a number of new and very exciting initiatives all aimed at ultimately increasing guest satisfaction and loyalty to our brand and collection of accommodation choices.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of your company again, and I am delighted to act as your point of contact for any future stay, you have the teams’ and my personal assurance of an altogether better experience the next time around.

Once again thank you very much for your feedback, should you wish to discuss any aspect of our reply please call me on 08 9245 8000 extension 409

Arcadia Hospitality

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 18 July 2012

The hotel itself is nice and you feel like royalty walking through the foya. Our room was clean and modern with a good side view of the beach. One thing I found a little weird was the shower blind. The wall between the bedroom and the bathroom (deluxe kind bed room) is glass and the only thing to cover it up with was a thin blind that you could see straight through. I don't know about you but I don't like going to the toilet while my parners watching!
Also the in-house movies are $18.95 each! some are already on DVD, go to the local video shop if you want a movie

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LaurenFreak
Dear Reviewer

We do wish to point out however that it is not likely you have stayed at our budget oriented Scarborough Observation Resort and the reason for this is because we do not have a category of bedroom there called King Deluxe Bedrooms and we do not have a movie package which is priced at $18.95. We do have a good idea as to where you have stayed and will leave you to work this one out for yourself.

Madison, Indiana USA
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I have stayed here 3 times, as this hotel is close to my distributor's home. It has only gotten worse every time I go.

This hotel is old, dirty, and the staff could careless if you are there or not. When I got to my room there were beer bottles in the trash! Apparently even the staff must be drinking to stay ?

This was a bit like camping indoors --- indoor/outdoor carpet, old cheap furniture!! King size bed has been well used.. it was like a cot.

Room was stuffy so I opened my Patio door and a Seagull flew in the room... took one look around and left !! True story!

Drive back to Perth.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Harmon31
Dear Reviewer

We do however wish to point out that it is not likely you have stayed at our budget oriented Scarborough Observation Resort and the reason for this is because our bedrooms here do not have patio doors. We do have a good idea as to where you stayed and will leave this for you to work out yourself.

Arcadia Hospitality

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Melbourne
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Somehow we ended up out the back in a compound what seemed like portables from... what i would assume the Mines!

Upon reception i was coughing horrendously.. the receptionist looked at me like I had a disease that was going to wipe her off the face of earth. Generally staff werent even happy.

Laundry is the worst ive ever seen! Good luck parking your car up there across the road outside a building which i have no idea what i was but told to park there. If you cant get park.. you'll have to fight for one with the general public who take it.

Walls were sooooo thin we could hear the bloke next door breathe! Our room seemed to be next door to the resident cleaning lady. Really?? is that what I've become? a customer to be sent 'out the back?'

the bathroom up couple short flights of stairs spooked me out. God forbid you forget your bottom half clothes and have to run through to the 'back yard'... like i did. Then I discovered theres dumpy showers down stairs. I still felt dirty.. for all the wrong reasons.. not the right ones.

DONT STAY IN THE SHED!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking time to review the Motel following your stay. Whilst I do not propose to offer a reply to your comments some time after you published them, I do wish to express our gratitude for your feedback.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 1 June 2012

We stayed here as due to unfortunate circumstances we needed emergency accommodation that was self-contained. We expected to be homeless for at least 2 weeks before finding a rental, so booked a long stay. We were surprised to start off with when they wanted full payment upfront. Most hotels or motels don't ask for payment until you've finished your stay. This was money we couldn't really afford at the time because we were waiting on emergency payments from our insurance but had no choice but to pay it or sleep in our car. Within a week of arriving here we found a rental property, and so we asked for a refund on the extra week we'd already paid for but no longer needed. The response wasn't very helpful - "Oh, that's not our company policy. I'll have to ask a manager. Someone will call you Monday to confirm". No phone call. Finally, 3 weeks later, we received a refund for the time we didn't need. Still no phone call. We can only conclude customer service isn't a strong point here.
The quality of the unit itself was very poor. The only thing we can praise was the bed, which was a king size and very comfortable. The rest of the unit was in dire need of repair. The bathroom shower screens had both been broken and someone had done a bodgey job of replacing them with shower curtains, that were both stained with mould. The kitchen was worse. The hotplates were so old they've rusted and the temp settings had rubbed off, so you wouldn't know how hot the pan is until you tried to cook with it. The cupboards are so worn they had chipped laminate, so large chucks of the chipboard underneath was all exposed, and there was actually a large broken piece out of the kitchen bench. We didn't feel powerpoints in the kitchen were safe. One of them was wiggly and crackled when something was plugged in. The garage was unusable because the garage door had jammed and someone had ripped the locking mechanism inside to pieces. So our car had to be parked outside in the rain and at risk being broken into by anyone walking past. We reported the broken door, but nothing was done. The room was noisy, both from road noise from the nearby highway and from residents partying up the road or walking by late at night, chattering loudly. There were chucks of plaster and paint knocked out of the walls, and the living rooms blinds were damaged so they didn't close properly, so there was no real privacy. The paint in the toilet had severe water damage and the toilet leaked, so much so you could hear it running from the bedroom in the middle of the night. The electric instant hot water system also made loud banging noises randomly in the middle of the night, waking me up.
Despite it being a no smoking room, the first thing we smelled when we walked in was cigarettes. We ended up going to the supermarket and buying air freshner because the smell was so strong it was making us feel ill. There were cigarette butts all around the front door. One night it rained while we were there it rained and because of all the rubbish around the front door the drains blocked and the unit almost flooded - we came back from dinner to find water lapping at the bottom of the front door!
The worst part of the whole place was the nightlife. The kitchen cabinets had small gaps under them. As soon as the lights went out cockroaches came crawling out of the cracks and ran around the kitchen. Getting up to use the bathroom at night the first night was a shocking experience for someone who dislikes bugs at the best of times!
We would never recommend this place to anyone, even if they were absolutely desperate. The quality it was extremely poor and the cost overpriced.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank perthluckystar
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking time to review a 2 bedroom villa, we can see that you are visibly dissatisfied with the accommodation which you reserved and are available at any stage to discuss your comments in more detail with you should you wish.

The villas are frequently booked for guests who are relocating either into and out of Perth. Due to their size and location they are popular and well received by the majority of guests who stay with us. We apologise for not meeting with your expectations on seemingly a number of counts. Reading through your review, please be assured that where required corrective action has been taken. It is important to note however for the benefit of other users that we do not have a pest issue history which prevails in our villas.

Hotels and Motels frequently have different payment policies and owing to the remote location of the villas, in the sense that they are off street residences, our policy is to request 100% payment in advance for a number of reasons. We do not have any plans at this time to review this particular policy at present. I do appreciate that relocations can be costly and cash flow tight in these circumstances as you highlighted, and am delighted to see that you managed to find a home much sooner than expected. Please do accept our apology should you feel we did not return your call at the time requested.

Once again may we thank you for your feedback, should you wish to discuss any element of your review in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me.

In the meantime, we trust that you have settled nicely into your new accommodation.

Western Australia
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Admittedly they are starting to renovate the hotel inside and out, but it should have been done 5 years ago. I was lucky in that I got a nice room that had had a "makeover", but the mould around the old bath tiles and the road noise coming from the window/door showed that more should have been done. Attention to detail is lacking. Nice having a pretty foyer, but if you use the scummy car park lift to get there the first impression isn't nice. Staff are pleasant when you find one, but if they were more attentive to the customers needs I think the bar bill during our dinner would have been triple what it was.

For the price it is, (and it's not cheap), you would expect better. But it is in a nice location; looking over the Indian ocean is magic.

Room Tip: If you can get the western side overlooking the ocean. Much nicer to look at and much quieter.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Makka10
Dear Makka

Many thanks for your report, for the benefit of others who may read this, we feel it is important to confirm that you may have selected the incorrect property when writing this report. Our budget orientated Scarborough Observation Resort is not refurbishing at this time and nor do we have an elevator from the Hotel to the car park as our accommodation is mostly at ground floor or street level!

Whilst we are aware of which property you most likely refer to we are unable to make a reference to it on this forum but we are sure you will figure that out for yourself.

We do however have a nice 4 star property in the area and would be delighted to accommodate you there on your next stay in Scarborough.

Canberra
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I fell for the Web description of this accommodation, having stayed in Observation City some years ago - don't be fooled by the name, there is no comparison!
I was not at all pleased when I saw the motel room and was even less pleased when I stayed in it - ultra basic, poorly set up, very noisy near a very busy road.
For what it offered I was paying a ridiculous price.
I left early and forfeited my advance payment through Wotif - I just could not stand another uncomfortable sleepless night. The taxi driver who rescued me was a local, and he indicated that he regulalrly picked up patrons who were less than happy with this place.
Staff were pleasant enough and the breakfast in the resturant was adequate.
It is a short walk to a wide range of eateries and shops and a lovely beach.
Scarborough is a great place, but this is not a great choice as a place to stay...unless you don't mind backpacker quality at an inflated price.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Dear Canberra

Thank you for taking time to review the Motel, we are very grateful for your feedback following your stay.

It is disheartening that you did not feel comfortable whilst staying with us. The budget orientated Scarborough Observation Resort does offer as one of its categories what we refer to as motel bedrooms. These rooms are located off the busy West Coast Highway and approximately 100 metres to Scarborough Beach and Village, each motel rooms offers complimentary car parking. The motel rooms all have private bathrooms, welcome tea & coffee trays, TV’s, welcome soft drinks minibar service, ample wardrobe space and a small work desk area, each room also has reverse cycle heating/ AC. With their proximity to the main highway it may not be the best choice for those who are light sleepers although, we do dress the beds with identical linens which would be used in a good 4 Star hotel and we do carry out regular mattress care with the bed furnishings.

Typically the motel rooms, as in keeping with our product, offer a competitively priced alternative to what can often be quite often an expensive city to stay in. The location as you mentioned is really great.

On a more positive note thank you for your kind comments pertaining to our staff, these are really appreciated.

We do hope to see you soon. Please do call me and I will be delighted to tell you about other options for accommodation within our company in the Scarborough area which maybe of interest to you.

Arcadia Hospitality
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Sunmoon Boutique Resort
Perth CBD
Criterion Hotel Perth
Criterion Hotel Perth
#55 of 65 in Perth

Been to Scarborough Apartments? Share your experiences!