Magic Cottages at Takou River
Kerikeri Homestead Motel & Apartments(Kerikeri)(Great Value!)
US$110
Kerikeri Park Lodge(Kerikeri)(Great Value!)
US$110
US$107
Kauri Park Motel(Kerikeri)(Great Value!)
US$97
US$94
US$100
US$97
Orbitz.com
Colonial House Motel(Kerikeri)(Great Value!)
US$93
US$90
Bay of Islands Country Lodge Motel(Kerikeri)(Great Value!)
US$85
Woodlands Motel & Conference Venue(Kerikeri)(Great Value!)
US$55
US$49
Priceline
  • Pool
Motel Kerigold Secluded Chalets(Kerikeri)(Great Value!)
US$121
TripAdvisor
All reviewsoutdoor bathglamping siteshearers cottageglow wormsfishing rodsno cell phone coveragedeserted beacheveryday liferomantic weekendgravel roadhot water bottlesswimming holecomplete privacymagical spotour honeymoonmaster bedroomamazing weekend
Reviewed 5 November 2013

My new husband and I had three magical nights here following our wedding post Labour weekend.

We had such a fantastic time – you have a magical (excuse the pun) wee oasis in the middle of nowhere and it was perfect to refresh, unwind and relax after so many months of busy planning. The fresh flowers and tea light candles were a perfect addition also.

Gabriella was lovely! We wished we could have brought her back to Napier with us – it would certainly save me from the husband bugging me for massages. We totally recommend you book her in - $100 for an hour long massage in the privacy of your own cottage - would be amazing in the summer months!

The cottage was gorgeous and the energy production was a real eye-opener we were lucky enough to have a cup of tea with Ian who kindly explained the intricacy of solar and hydro power!

We kayaked to Takou Beach, meeting a few locals fishing on the way, the husband managed to catch a Kawai (but he was too small so we popped him back). Look out for Hoover and his eel friends around the river banks at dusk (they like squid bait from the dive shop in Waipapa) the husband was well entertained for at least six hours feeding the eels.

Next time we will definitely do a the hot tub experience and make an effort to see the glow worms.

Oh and how could I forget the bath!!! As a true bath connoisseur I have to say that this one takes the cake. Such an amazing position with river views, bird sounds and the miniature waterfall that runs softly under the cottage... pure magic. Glass of wine in hand, husband bbq-ing dinner.. bliss!

Thank you so much Ian & Anna for such an experience to begin our marriage, we couldn’t have chosen a more romantic destination.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
takouriver, Owner at Magic Cottages at Takou River, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Hi Toby,

A belated 'thank you' for reviewing your stay with us!

We're so glad that you had such a fantastic time, and experienced all the wonderful relaxing and energetic activities here with us. Gabriella's massages are soo good! And as a bath lover, I'm so pleased that you enjoyed the alfresco claw foot bath on the deck over the river.

We'll heat the hot tub up ready for your next visit, and in the meantime, all the very best for the start of your married life together!

Best wishes,

Anna & Ian

Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed in the River Cottage for 3 nights over Labour Weekend. I was hoping to book the Magic Cottage, but it was already booked, so we were offered this as an alternative and were very happy. Anna was extremely helpful during the booking process and made it easy for us.

From the moment we got out of the car when first we arrived (late afternoon), we felt that we were in a very special place and immediately started to unwind.

Our cottage was perfectly neat and clean, and well equipped with everything we needed. I liked how all the products were eco-friendly, and the fresh flowers were a lovely touch.

On our first evening we ventured out for dinner to Food Wharepuke (which Ian recommended to us), and had a superb meal - we also went back on the Sunday night as it was so good!

Takou River is a stunning, tranquil place to stay. The birdlife is amazing and the grounds are beautifully kept. On our first day we just relaxed in our cottage, reading, listening to birdsong and enjoying the view from our upstairs living area. In the evening we enjoyed a pizza at Aegean Pizzeria in Kerikeri and then went to the Cathay Cinemas - both great.

On our second day went in to Kerikeri and visited Palmco (awesome garden centre and excellent cafe!) and Makana chocolate shop. In the late afternoon we made use of the double canoe and paddled up and down the river. We had run out of time to explore the beach but will save that for our next visit! It was just beautiful. Then in the evening we took torches and walked to see the glow worms by the river, which was magical.

There are a number of walks around the property but we were content just to have some R&R. Overall we had a wonderful stay and went home feeling rejuvenated. I highly recommend this as a relaxing and beautiful place to stay and explore!

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We stayed two nights in the lodge, for my partner's birthday. It was wonderful, the lodge is very spacious and has such beautiful gardens. Lots of birdlife to watch and listen to, in the gardens, on the river bank and on the beach. It's a great place to relax and recharge batteries. We hope to be back with friends or family to share this little piece of paradise.

1  Thank boret_a
Reviewed 6 October 2013

My partner and stayed in "River Cottage" aiming for an escape from the hustle and bustle of city life. And what an escape it was! Pure bliss.The kiwi hot tub experience was magical; sitting in the hot tub surrounded by singing Tuis as the sun sets and the glow worms come out = divine.
Cannot recommend enough.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

My partner and I came here as we needed a relaxing weekend away from work and the city. After reading the reviews and looking at their website we thought this might just be the place. This more than lived up to expectations! We stayed in Magic Cottage and that is just what it was - magic. It is fully equipped to cook in and has a great BBQ on the deck. The al fresco bath was amazing; sitting there with a glass of wine listening to the beautiful river beneath you was so peaceful. The location just makes it, you can't hear a single thing apart from the birds and the gentle flow of the river. On the first night we booked the hot tub which was fantastic - I have never seen anything like it, riverside location, complete privacy; candles and a bottle of bubbly was exactly what we needed. We slept with the curtains to the cottage wide open (easy to do because it is so private) and woke up to the lovely view each morning. I would definitely recommend the paddle downstream to the very secluded and private beach which again, is beautiful. The water is crystal and clear and the sand is so soft, you just don't want to leave. There is so much to see and do on the grounds itself without having to leave. When we did leave however we were given really helpful advice from Anna on what we could do on our way home with our time constraints - we took her advice and had an amazing day on the trip home. The little touches just make this place even better, the bath robes, toiletries, slippers, beach mats and towels. Anna and Ian were lovely and more than helpful and we also had the pleasure of meeting their children. We are already planning our trip back - I couldn't recommend this place enough, it's a little slice of heaven.

Room Tip: Magic Cottage is perfect for a couple. I know there are other cottages which sleep more; I would definitely come back here with a group of friends.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple