“Delicious and delightful”

Ake Ake Vineyard Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 39 Restaurants in Kerikeri
Cuisines: New Zealand, International, European
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, View, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Auckland Region, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious and delightful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2013 via mobile

Had a lovely evening with my mother and sister. The service was very friendly and polished, lovely atmosphere and interior (night time so we couldn't see outside - not that it mattered!). The food was delicious and served quickly. Would definitely return!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank rebs7777

Kerikeri
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fine dining surrounded by the vines!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

Everything!
Ambience, service, delicious food - and delightful friendly hosts and staff. Great wines too!

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Heather B
Hobart, Australia
“Can I add a star to make it a 5* experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

If I could add a star to 5* I would. Of our 11 days in Auckland to Northland this vineyard / restaurant experience was without doubt the highlight of our trip. If you are in the Bay of Islands I strongly suggest that you book a dinner at the restaurant and travel the short drive from Kerikeri to this winery on the well made roads. We arrived mid afternoon in our hired campervan for a cellar door tasting. Lovely wines, in particular we were impressed with the fine handling of the chambourcin grape variety. While talking and tasting with the winemaker I glanced at the dinner menu for the restaurant there, and got hooked - line and sinker. The winemaker informed us that self contained campervans were permitted to freedom camp in the vineyard so the two of us booked for dinner and parked the van, sat amid the vines and shared a fine bottle of his viognier as the sun set. A stroll to the restaurant at twilight and I was sent to heaven.

The dinner experience was fantastic and I actually felt humbled that most of what we offer in Australia is not up to this standard and realistic pricing. Well done the restaurant team.
Having now googled up Ake Ake Winery Restaurant I can tell you that they have the menu outlined online. You should take a look at it.

My entree of peri peri chicken livers sent me to heaven - very generous serving and beautifully cooked and presented. Cheryl had a baked camembert which must have been good because she drove the fork into the back of my hand when I tried to steal a taste across the table. I had the Duo of Hawke's Bay lamb for main and Cheryl had the venison. My lamb was beautiful..... but paled into insignificance...Cheryl's venison was the best red meat dish I have ever tasted. Dessert was a shared bread and butter pudding - better than mum used to make. Extensive wine list and access to many world renowned wines to take away with you, which we availed ourselves to.

If visiting Northland, I recommed you treat yourself.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank KimandCheryl
Nelson, New Zealand
“Great food, great wine, great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

A charming vineyard restaurant attached to an excellent tasting room, both with very friendly and intelligent service. Opens onto the outdoors and a view of the vineyard. Very good imaginative food, using fresh local produce (fish in our case), and very flexible service - happy to adapt dishes to accommodate our dairy and gluten free requirements. Excellent wines to match, both from the Ake Ake vineyard, but also from elsewhere in NZ and around the globe. A very well chosen wine list actually. Plenty of atmosphere as it was clearly popular, even on a Wednesday lunchtime in April. A relaxed and yet quality dining experience - to be recommended.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Tim R
Buffalo, NY
“Great Food, But Best of All was The Chambourcin Wine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

Our hosts at the 88 Lodge B & B recommended this restaurant, and we could not have been more impressed. The winery restaurant is remarkably handsome, and we were able to sit on the outdoor patio in a cozy little table in the corner. We were first offered tastes of several wines, and among those tasted was a Chambourcin. What a magnificent wine--and we quickly order a bottle.
I wish this restaurant were close to my home, we would eat there often. This is the best of the three restaurants we visited in Kerikeri area, and each of them was excellent.
The food is excellent, my venison outstanding [though a too-small portion], and the desserts delectable. The waitress knew her foods, but then we discovered she was the chef and co-owner's daughter. Great place.

Visited February 2013