“A very pleasent surprise.”

Ake Ake Vineyard Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 45 Restaurants in Kerikeri
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 May 2013

My wife and I were part of a large party invited to an evening of dinning by the Bay of Island Veterinary Service's, our hosts Max Newport and Toni Munro, owners of the above.
Venue Ake Ake Vineyard.
A very pleasent evening with finger food starters and local wine from an extensive selection.
Our reccomendation was the Pinot Gris, refreshing and a standout when compared to other Pinots we have tried.
The venue appeared quite small but surprisingly, more than handled our large groupe of 52.
Our dinner consisted of whole Sirlion roast done in honey, Chicken thigh stuffed with a light cheese, lightly grilled smoked Salmon, Roast assorted veges with seperate dish of local assorted greens.
Sweets were to die for, a Peacan pie with local icecream, Brule' with the riche's of chocolate I thought was possible.
The bar, waitressing, presentation, Chef, is all of the highest standeds.
I would certainly return to Ake Ake Vineyard and recommend the venue and meal as a place to remember.

Reviewed 17 May 2013

Popped in for a bite and left feeling very satisfied and hands filled with bottles of wine. Having the free wine tasting before the meal was a great idea leaving us to choose what we were having with our meal and what to take home. We chose a lovely outdoor setting , great food, and wonderful friendly service. This place has an ambience so would make it very easy to go back.

Reviewed 2 May 2013 via mobile

Had a lovely evening with my mother and sister. The service was very friendly and polished, lovely atmosphere and interior (night time so we couldn't see outside - not that it mattered!). The food was delicious and served quickly. Would definitely return!

1  Thank rebs7777
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Everything!
Ambience, service, delicious food - and delightful friendly hosts and staff. Great wines too!

1  Thank Heather B
Reviewed 27 April 2013

If I could add a star to 5* I would. Of our 11 days in Auckland to Northland this vineyard / restaurant experience was without doubt the highlight of our trip. If you are in the Bay of Islands I strongly suggest that you book a dinner at the restaurant and travel the short drive from Kerikeri to this winery on the well made roads. We arrived mid afternoon in our hired campervan for a cellar door tasting. Lovely wines, in particular we were impressed with the fine handling of the chambourcin grape variety. While talking and tasting with the winemaker I glanced at the dinner menu for the restaurant there, and got hooked - line and sinker. The winemaker informed us that self contained campervans were permitted to freedom camp in the vineyard so the two of us booked for dinner and parked the van, sat amid the vines and shared a fine bottle of his viognier as the sun set. A stroll to the restaurant at twilight and I was sent to heaven.

The dinner experience was fantastic and I actually felt humbled that most of what we offer in Australia is not up to this standard and realistic pricing. Well done the restaurant team.
Having now googled up Ake Ake Winery Restaurant I can tell you that they have the menu outlined online. You should take a look at it.

My entree of peri peri chicken livers sent me to heaven - very generous serving and beautifully cooked and presented. Cheryl had a baked camembert which must have been good because she drove the fork into the back of my hand when I tried to steal a taste across the table. I had the Duo of Hawke's Bay lamb for main and Cheryl had the venison. My lamb was beautiful..... but paled into insignificance...Cheryl's venison was the best red meat dish I have ever tasted. Dessert was a shared bread and butter pudding - better than mum used to make. Extensive wine list and access to many world renowned wines to take away with you, which we availed ourselves to.

If visiting Northland, I recommed you treat yourself.

1  Thank KimandCheryl