“Spectacular and a genuinely friendly host”

Cliff Edge by the Sea
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

We arrived at the lodge after driving to the wrong street which we thought was the correct one. Whops. We were met at the door and welcomed. We were shown to our room and advised dinner would be at a certain time. When dinner was ready we came to the dining room to have it beautifully set up for myself and partner. We sat down to the meal not fully expecting how delightful and plentyful or meal was to become. The Thai fish cakes were delicious, the lamb moist and tender with flavors that pleased the tongue. The strudel was delicious. Along with the music and wines we were in a world of flavor that we had no real understanding of what to expect. The next morning we had breakfast organise and set up for us. We headed downstairs to prepare for our day ahead and Peters lovely dog Charlie followed us down and hung out with us for a short while before heading back up top. We were given a key and we headed out for the day. When dinner was about ready for our second night we were aware of what we were to expect but we were still blown away by our dining experience. Corn and bacon fritters along with a salad like quacamole, followed by stuffed chicken with pasta and veges. Followed by Bananas Coruba.(Can't remember name) was delicious. Peter our host was very welcoming to his home. He offered us more than we had hoped for and we were extraordinarily pleased. Peter you are a wonderful man and you have made the beginning of our new marriage a wonderful start. Thank you very much for your wonderful hospitality and kindness. Your taste in music and humor was a delight and we will try to come again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
PeterMeierOpua, Owner at Cliff Edge by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2014

Dear Nicholas C
what can I say, comments such as yours makes owning and running a boutique guest Lodge such as Cliff Edge by the Sea all worthwile
I am delighted that you enyoyed the experience and that is whats it all about.
Charley still enjoys playing her part in delighting the guests and she does a great job.
My heart felt thanks for what you said, about the place, the food and me personally
take care and please come back one day
Peter& Charley
perhaps I should mention that Charley is a beautiful female Prince Charles cavalier,
and when guest ask me at times why Charley for a girl?, my answer " many men have known some Charley's in their lives.

There are newer reviews for Cliff Edge by the Sea

Reviewed 10 August 2014

My partner and I stayed 2 nights at Cliff Edge by the Sea and what a wonderful place it was - we could of easily stayed another night! Beautiful location, and wonderful rooms with amazing views. We opted for the Waitangi room - with spa bath... beautiful to sit in the spa looking out the window at the Bay of Islands. A walk around the cove below, and playing cards in the lounge looking out over the boats. So peaceful and relaxing.
Peter was a wonderful host, and amazing chef. We had lovely breakfasts and the dinners were just out of this world - 3 courses (great portion sizes), along with matching wines - which were included.
This is the first time I have written a review - and yet I read them often when choosing a location to eat/stay/holiday... so thought after this wonderful experience I better give this a go. I would highly recommend Cliff Edge for a romantic get away, or great location for a visit to the Paihia region.
Thanks Peter - we had a great time, and hopefully will get to come again. Might bring some friends next time :-)

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
PeterMeierOpua, Owner at Cliff Edge by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2014

Dear Blondi,
my apologies for the belated reply, time flies
I am glad that your foray into reviews started with a positive one.
I am happy that you enjoyed the food,wine, ambience and the whole experience that Cliff Edge by the sea has to offer
Please come back and of course bring your friends
it would be a pleasure to look after you again
Thasnk you

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Found this gem by accident and I am glad we did.

We stayed for 5 nights to get some much needed R&R and were not disappointed. It is a great base for exploring the north of NZ and especially the Bay of Islands.

The room was generous, clean and well maintained, the view was majestic through the large high windows.
The shared lounge area is eclectic, spacious and comfortable. Tea, coffee, fruit etc always available. A great place to relax and view the ever changing vista across the bay.

The host Peter, was very accommodating and prepared some great meals for us, and introduced us to some great local wines, cheeses and produce. The kitchen is open and we enjoyed watching a more than competent chef preparing dinner whilst we had a glass (or two) of wine and Peter was happy to share some insights into what and how he was preparing. Yes the food was great and well balanced.

All in all, a very enjoyable experience.

Peter, thanks for everything....we will return (maybe in the summer next time)

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
PeterMeierOpua, Owner at Cliff Edge by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2014

DEar Ken & Pam,
its almost 5 month since youf visit and review. My sincerest apologies for my belated reply and of course my thanks for your very kind comments in your appraisal of the "Cliff Edge experience"
Its great to read that ones efforts are appreciated. Please come back, you mentioned summer, which just started today.
It would be wonderful to welcome you back
best wishes

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Cliff Edge and Peter Meier combine for a wonderful stay.

The property itself is in a stunning location, with magical views of water and the Bay of Islands. The room was generously sized and comfortable with all the amenities that you would expect. Guests have the use of what would have been the living room of the house - again stunning views.

If you are staying there and it is available make sure that you stay for dinner. Peter prepares a delicious, and generous 3 course meal, with wine. This is as good if not better than some of the fine dining experiences that you would experience in the major cities.

From my perspective this is a quality property and well worth the journey. If you are reading this and considering a stay around Opua or Russell or Paihia then look no further. You will not regret the decision.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Geddes_7

DEar Geddes_7
my apologies for the more then belated reply. I am pretty hopeless when it comes to my social media responsibilities.
Thank you very much for your very positive comments/ appraisal of what the Cliff Edge experience is about.
very much appreciated
And I still enjoy the cooking!
please come back one day
best wishes

Reviewed 25 April 2014

For our first trip to New Zealand we knew we had to track down Peter Meier. Peter owned a restaurant with accommodation in the Hunter Valley in NSW, Australia. The food at his restaurant, Casuarina, was so spectacular that my husband and I would drive from Sydney to the Hunter Valley just for lunch. Peter has found himself a piece of paradise in the Bay of Islands that he lovingly shares with his guests. The view is amazing and all meals are personally and beautifully prepared by Peter. The dinner menu was created after we discussed what we loved most about dining at Casuarina. He worked his magic and presented a beautiful three course meal that we are still talking about. Our room took complete advantage of the amazing view and we were lucky enough to be the only guests staying there. Thank you Peter!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Janice G
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We booked into the Cliff Edge for the night at the last minute (due to a kind babysitting offer from the in-laws). What a perfect escape.

The Lodge has some of the best views I have ever seen, and is located handy to all the sights of the Bay of Islands.

The only room we could get had less of a sea view than the others but still was lovely with great bush and sea views from the balcony.

The owner, Peter, cooked us a wonderful 3 course dinner - the preparation of which had created a mouth-watering smell all afternoon.

The lounge had an amazing outlook and was a great place for a pre-dinner drink and after dinner card game.

Dinner (which was at a communal table) was livened up by a surprise proposal from a a guest to his girlfriend. Just lovely.

Woke to a scrumptious breakfast spread and more stunning views.

The only downside was that we could only stay one night.

Thanks Peter for being such a wonderful host.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank AndreaN209
Reviewed 5 April 2014

This is the third time I have stayed at Cliff Edge and each time it gets better.
The bedrooms, lounges and terraces have the best viewing areas overlooking the Bay of Islands.
Peter the owner still is the best chef in New Zealand in my opinion. Fresh foods and fish, ample servings and superb presentations with excellent wines. Dinner is a must for any guest.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank EricMcFerran
Also consider these accommodations in or near Opua
Sea Spray Suites - Heritage Collection
The Waterfront Suites - Heritage Collection
Duke of Marlborough Hotel
Edgewater Palms Apartments
Paihia Beach Resort & Spa
The Sanctuary @ Bay of Islands

Been to Cliff Edge by the Sea? Share your experiences!