“Miserable experience”

Copthorne Hotel & Resort Bay of Islands
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Waitangi
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I booked a superior seaview room with double bed over Easter using their website. Upon arrival, I was told that I was given a room with three single beds which they thought would be acceptable for me as I had only indicated one guest (default guest number on website is one). I provided a phone number which is a USA number and tried to enter a '+'. The website instructed me to only use Roman letters??? and so I had to drop the '+'. When asked why they did not call me to check that the new room would be acceptable to me (and my wife) , I was told the number did not work. I had used my USA address so it should have been easy to connect to me on my mobile.

I was told that they would give me the last available room facing the harbour but it was not ready. I got to the lobby at 3pm and was given access to my room at 4:45pm. I have attached photos of what the hallway looked like at 5pm

The room is next to the exit which would not normally be too bad if the walls were not paper thin. The neighbouring room's conversation was in our room. The narrow corridors were a natual playground for young kids at 06:45 which is only an issue because of the paper thin walls.

Worst of all, upon a friend's insistence, I cancelled a decent large and comfortable room in Whangarei to get this room . The room is small (+- 175 sf) and the bathroom is very compact (see photo).

My booking for supposedly one person included breakfast at a cost of $45 which make breakfasts in NYC seem very reasonable!!! As many have indicated, the internet seems expensive compared to the hotels in Sydney, Melbourne, Auckland, Christchurch, Hobart, Port Douglas, Queenstown, ... that I used in the past five weeks. We paid $50 for my wife and I to use the internet.

The room seemed small, around 180sf including the bathroom. The bed was comfortable. The room was reasonably clean.

The front office manager tried to assist us but she seemed helpless with no resources. She said she had reduced my rate for the inconvenience; I found out that the rate had been reduced to the rack rate that the hotel charges for the replacement room.

It is fairly far from the main strip of Paihia, I estimate a 20 minute walk.

This hotel does not deliver. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hickorypete
Write a ReviewReviews (1,075)

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Did not live up to our expectations. Rooms were not ready for check in,many people had to wait for there rooms. When making reservations for dinner we were told that full menu will not be available, only buffet.defenitely not whatI expect when paying top dollars.

• Stayed: April 2014
Tina A, Front Office Manager at Copthorne Hotel & Resort Bay of Islands, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

I apologise that your stay was not to your fullest satisfaction. We are aiming to provide our guests with the best possible accommodation and service. We have already discussed how we can use our resources better to guarantee all guests a timely check-in also during busy days. I am sorry you have not been informed about the dinner offerings. We usually choose between our A la Carte service and buffet depending on what will provide the best service for our guests. My apologies if this was not communicated to you correctly.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Upside - the location is stunnng and we found the gorgeous rockpools not too cold even in April. Downside - the stunning amount of noise that went on all night and prevented us from sleeping more than 1/2 an hour at a time. Drunken people stumbling, screaming and shoiuting their way past our room, cars crashing over judder bars (hotel is right next to public beach), topped off by hotel staff deciding to empty crate after crate of post-wedding bottles into a metal recycling bin at 1.45am. Tired and disappointed!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

I appreciate your time to write a review on your stya. My sincere apologies that your were disturbed during night by other guests. We cater for a range of guests and try our best to make everyone's stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. We have already worked on procedures to prevent similar situations happening in the future. We look forward to offering you a more satisfactory experience if you choose to visit again.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Very nice hotel with a view of the bay towards Russel and Pahia. Rooms were very quiet and comfortable, we had a view from the room and even spent the day relaxing on the water front and reading tour guides. Pool looked nice but we didn't get in, lots of herons and other shore birds in and around the beach. Mostly pebbles so not good for swimming, however public beach just a short walk. Shuttles from the hotel carry people around the area and are convenient even though it is very walkable. We enjoyed our stay

Room Tip: All looked comfortable.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

It is great to hear that we were able to contribute to an enjoyable holiday. Our natural rock pool and the views are definitely inviting to relax. The closest beach is also only 5 minutes walk away from the hotel. We offer our shuttle to provide access into town every hour. Make sure you ask our friendly local staff for ideas for day trips.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

We stayed in this hotel for a reunion and it was super. The room was lovely and clean with fabulous views of the sea, the bed was large and comfortable, and the meal at our reunion dinner was delicious. Everything was great, except... we were disappointed by what we saw as little penny-pinching acts by the hotel. The cost of Wi-Fi was outrageous - $20+ for a 2 hour connection - with a supposed free 20 minutes in the lobby (it didn't work for us), the 1.5% charge for paying with a credit card - who doesn't?, the ridiculous $45 for an $8 bottle of Jacobs Creek, all contributed to a slightly sour taste in our mouths. In spite of the fabulous facilities, we'd think twice about returning here because of these annoying little examples of overcharging.

Room Tip: We were in Block7 and these are very close to the water.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks for your feedback. It is great to hear you had a lovely reunion and enjoyed most facilities of the hotel. We are currently working on different pricing options for the internet and your feedback has been taken on board in this process. The credit card fee is part of the chain wide policy and we make efforts to communicate this prior to your arrival. We are committed to providing the best possible facilities so we take your review serious in order to help us improve our operations.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Situated directly on the sea side with large palm trees. Lovely outdoor pools but they're freezing! We opted to stay in the spa, but not for too long as the temperature of the spa isn't suitable for our toddler. The pools are nice to look at, but not to swim. The room was nice, we booked an ocean view room so the view was magnificent, no air conditioning.. But the ceiling fan provided cool air so it was fine during our summer stay. The housekeeping staff were a little rude and need to be mindful of the language they use, especially around guests with children. The reception staff were a delight, very friendly and really inviting. The price of the food was steep but yum.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms with the private balcony are the best rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Thanks for your comments. I have passed on your comments to our housekeeping team. Your feedback will be utilised in our staff training. I am pleased to hear you could relax in the spa and enjoy our stunning views. Our local reception staff are always happy to help with any request and your feedback has been passed on to them.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

We enjoyed our stay the the Copthorne Hotel and Resort. The location is great and there are a lot of places to walk and run.The pool was nice but cold. The grounds were pretty with all of the beautiful plants and trees. The room was bright, at the front of the hotel which heated up a lot throughout the day. I was disappointed to find there was just a ceiling fan and no AC. That was not a problem later at night as it cooled down. I have to agree with some of the other reviewers that this place is pricey and they are very much into getting your money. We did get an amazing rate so it wasn't terrible for our budget. Just to get towels for the pool you have to give then a deposit (I think it was your room key or something like that) At breakfast the shocker was the price of the buffet. It was 40NZD for a 6 year old and myself. Dinner was also very costly and food service was slow. We still loved the place and would go back again.

Room Tip: We had a garden view king room which was HOT! There is no AC. Pick a room on the other side of the b...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

I appreciate your time to give us some feedback on your stay. I am glad to hear your enjoyed our beautiful surroundings. My apologies that some aspects of your stay did not meet your expecations. Sorry about the confusion about the bond payment. The pool towels are offered complimentary, however on check-in we ask for a hold on your credit card as all charges are automatically put on your room account. I am sorry if this process was not communicated to you correctly. I have passed on your feedback for the restaurant and we are aiming at providing the best service possible.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Waitangi
Kingsgate Hotel Autolodge Paihia
Sea Spray Suites - Heritage Collection
Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands
The Waterfront Suites - Heritage Collection
Edgewater Palms Apartments
Duke of Marlborough Hotel

Been to Copthorne Hotel & Resort Bay of Islands? Share your experiences!