The Depot Lodge
Budget Inn Motel(Covington)
US$109
US$98
US$60
All reviewsswinging bridgegeneral storepicnic basketcommon roomlong distance callsgas stovehanging rockairstream traileroutdoor showercountry cookingprivate pondfire pitnext morningcomfortable bedtrain stationfish hatcheryfox hill
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 April 2014

A friend recommended the Crump's Camp "glamping" experience at The Depot Lodge. It was incredible from start to finish! Set in the beautiful mountains of Monroe County, WV, the tent was perfect in every way. They truly have thought of everything! It is something you have to experience to fully appreciate. I surprised my husband with this getaway, and he was totally amazed by it. It's private & peaceful, and it has it's own pond with a deck. The decor and appointments of the tent are truly gorgeous. Spacious, comfortable & the bed is so comfy you won't want to leave! Our favorite new spot.

Room Tip: There's only one, so plan ahead!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kisti H
Reviewed 18 September 2013

The Depot Lodge in Paint Bank Va. is the most amazing vacation spot in Virginia! The hotel is warm, rustic and charming, the staff makes you feel right at home, as if they have known you for years! Far removed from the hustle & bustle of the city, you will find a serene setting with a river that runs behind the lodge. A wraparound porch with rockers that over look the river surrounded by mountains; swings and benches are located down near the river. Bikes for your use, games, books and homemade cookies; this place is like no other! The General Store is also a restaurant with the best food you have ever eaten! It's like stepping back in time and finding a little piece of heaven in the mountains; you will not want to leave! The drive to Paint Bank is so beautiful that when you arrive you wonder how has something like this been hidden up here and I never knew about it! I do now and we will be loyal visitors from here on out!

Room Tip: We had room 5 located on the second level with an outside entrance and a wrap around porch with 2 rocking chairs, our room overlooked the river.and surrounded by beautiful mountains! At night it is so quiet you can hear all the sounds of the wilderness and smell the fresh clean air.. It was the best night sleep I had in a very long time!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kelly G
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Overall location is wonderful, nestled in the mountains close to West Virginia. We were a party of eight with three motorcycles and one car. Parking lot is gravel, so bikes beware! Check-in was accomplished through the General Store, which inconvenienced others waiting to checkout from either the store or co-located restaurant.

My girlfriend and I had the “Caboose”, an old caboose railcar that was converted into a room. Nostalgic…yes, overpriced...probably so. I thought it was a decent deal compared to the other rooms, until I saw that I paid the same as the Main Lodge Suite (which was HUGE by the way). The caboose had a tiny bathroom and tiny shower. One couple had the suite and as I mentioned it was huge, however no small refrigerator which could easily be accommodated. Two other couples had regular rooms in the main lodge. They were small and fortunately had their own bathrooms. All rooms have their own bathrooms but two of them you have to exit your room, cross the hall and that's where your bathroom is. Not very private. Plus the walls are thin from what I was told. We were told there was wireless Internet, but I couldn’t get a strong enough signal in the caboose. I did in the main lodge area, but it drifted in and out, frustrating as you’re trying to do something. There was no cell phone reception. A great getaway, but I like to keep in touch as well. The caboose had it's privacy, a plus for the cramped space it offered.

We had our first nights dinner at the Swinging Bridge restaurant. The restaurant was really hyped up during our short introduction to the Lodge. Buffalo raised down the street, fresh vegetables grown here, etc…home made food! I chose the ground Buffalo steak which was good. Others in the party didn’t have as much luck. Ribs came out cold, steaks were tough, etc. The second day we had both lunch and dinner there, nothing else in the area and rain had already spoiled a ride. We found chicken to be overcooked and dry, what they claimed to be fresh vegetables looked more like overcooked canned veggies. I think most items on the menu were slightly overpriced, especially after seeing the quality of the food. Our first two meals had slow service, especially trying to check out. They shut down the register in the restaurant and only had the general store register open. This is to serve store patrons as well as restaurant patrons…during the Labor Day weekend! Needless to say, lines were long and slow…On their defense, we were told that five servers decided not to show this entire weekend.

The property includes a mill where you can watch them spin yarn, a trout pond where you can feed the fish, and a buffalo farm about ½ mile down the road. There is also a gas station which had reasonable prices for being so isolated. Overall it was a relaxing weekend, but for the price I expected a little more for the money.

Room Tip: Best deal in my opinion is the suite. The caboose offers great privacy, but costs as much as the suite. The rooms upstairs are small and walls are thin.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Enjoyed an overnight at The Depot Lodge in early July when attending the PGA Greenbrier Classic golf tournament. Paint Bank is located up in the Virginia mountains: a beautiful setting. The lodge is a small, rustic, elegant hotel and highly recommended if one enjoys this combination.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank whiteoakspring
Reviewed 5 May 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Depot Lodge in Paint Bank, VA for one night in May 2012. This building served as a real train depot years ago and has been rebuilt and open for business. I have been traveling to Paint Bank for years and would only stay the night with relatives in the past. Staying at the Depot Lodge was such a treat! There are 4 rooms upstairs, a Master Suite downstairs, and a kitchen/living room area downstairs as well. There are also other accommodations on the property (a cute caboose and cottage is next door). Check-in is across the street at the General Store, so grab your keys to your room before unloading your car.

We stayed in one of the upstairs rooms. It was very clean, quaint and cozy. We were given a tour right away and there are fresh cookies and juices, coffee, cereal, and milk for guests any time of the day in the kitchen area downstairs. You will also be given a voucher towards breakfast in the restaurant across the street. I was pleasantly surprised at the size of our room. It was larger than expected and the bathroom was quite big as well. The bed was comfortable and it gets VERY quiet at night in Paint Bank. There was a flat screen TV in our room and lots of rocking chairs on the porch outside (you share a common porch area with other guests). The creek on the property runs right by the lodge, and there are plenty of private little seating areas to sit and enjoy a glass of wine while watching the lazy creek flow by.

There is NO CELL SERVICE, so prepare to have no interruptions while you are there. There is complimentary WiFi that worked great, so if you have a house sitter or relatives needing to contact you, that's the way to communicate unless you use the room phone where long distance calls are no longer complimentary.

We slept very well and had no issues with noise. There was one other couple staying in the Lodge, but they were on the other side of the hotel, so we did not experience any noise from anyone. Everywhere are hard wood floors, so I can imagine if someone were wearing clunky shoes or high heels, noise could be an issue.

Paint Bank is a slice of Americana. The people are friendly, the restaurant across the street is charming (Swinging Bridge) with lots of great comfort food, and the General Store and Tingler's Mill are a must visit attraction. The town is surrounded by mountains at every angle (hence, no cell service), and it is total relaxation there. My husband and I were able to totally connect and enjoy our time together without any interruptions from the outside world. Truly a wonderful experience and a step back in time. We will return, but next time we might try staying in the Master Suite. We were allowed to go inside and check it out, and it is lovely!!

While you are at the Lodge, check out the old photographs in the downstairs kitchen/living room area. My grandmother's photo is high up on the wall. Her name was Juanita Bryan and her photo is striking. There are other photos of time gone by that will give you a connection to the place and make you take pause in how amazing the surroundings are. Definitely check out Paint Bank, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: If you like to control your own A/C heat in the upstairs rooms at the lodge, you have to share a common thermostat with others - so you might be better off staying in one of the other accommodations on the property (caboose, cabin, or cottage).
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple