“A treasure in the country”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Depot Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Paint Bank
The Depot Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Paint Bank B&B and Inns
Roanoke, Virginia
“A treasure in the country”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

This is a beautiful little find tucked in the mountains. The rooms are very clean & charming with lots of games on hand for family fun. The grounds are particularly gorgeous with a lovely creek running along the back and walking trails. Across the road where the country store & Swinging Bridge restaurant are located are more beautiful grounds with an old grist mill and a trout pond where you can hand feed teams of huge trout (no fishing though). Be aware that the restaurant closes early on certain days and the next closest eatery is about 40 min away. There is not much out here by way of conveniences so be prepared with either food or planning to arrive when the restaurant is open, which is an excellent place to eat! There is a communal kitchen that offers sodas, cereal, cookies, coffee, tea & other snacks along with more games & toys for entertainment. I love this place!!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank lovelylisa10

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

I found this place because our motorcycle trip was taking us through Paint Bank. It is amazing. We stayed in an upstairs Lodge room. It was spectacular. So clean and comfortable. I almost want to keep it a secret.
The grounds were equally impressive, with manicured landscaping. Not one but two streams run by the place. If you want quiet, this is the place.
No night life here. But alcohol is available in the general store.
Across the street is a functional hydro grain mill. I usually want to get on the road early in am when riding, but was not in a hurry to leave this place.
You can see the pride in this place all around. What a gem! The hostess gave us a warm welcome and she had so many interesting stories, I could have listened for hours.

3 Thank Lee B
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

My wife just posted a review of our stay at The Depot Lodge's "Glamping Tent." We had an amazing time but she focused on different things that I would have. As such I am posting my own review.

My wife and I live just outside Washington DC and we are what I would call outdoorsish people. We love hiking and exploring in the woods but we absolutely hate discomfort. When it came time to plan our second anniversary weekend we wanted to go somewhere far from the city and it surrounds. When we go for a hike near DC the trails are often crowded and it feels more like waiting in line than enjoying the seclusion of the woods. We decided to find a bed and breakfast near a national park and thought we were really lucky when we found the Depot Lodge. When the person we spoke with on the phone suggested the Glamping Tent we had no idea what glamping was but we agreed to try the experience.

It was amazing. Getting all the sights, sounds, and isolation of a camping trip while sleeping in a pillow top king sized bed is better than it sounds. We were lulled to sleep every night by owls, frogs, and the other critters of Potts Mountain. During the day we toured the surrounding area by car and foot. We saw buffalo roaming pastures grazing on open land. We hiked in Jefferson National Forrest. Most importantly we slept like logs both nights of our stay. It was a dream. The most impressive part for me, and this is very particular to my likes and dislikes, was the all teak indoor shower at the Glamp Site. After a long hike in the hot sun I enjoyed the most luxurious shower of my life. The real stone floor, warm teak, double headed shower and strong airflow was amazing. If my wife hadn't wanted to eat dinner I might have stayed in that shower for the rest of my life.

Dinner while staying at the Glamping tent presents a few options. Drive a good way to the nearest towns or drive a few miles down route 600 and eat at The Swinging Bridge restaurant. I was skeptical of the swinging bridge at first. It was so carefully appointed and intentionally country that I thought it might be a chain. I am also the son of a Texan so I take country cooking very seriously. I will cut to chase: the food was reasonably priced an amazing. The onion strings are advertised as to die for, they are. The sweet potato fries come with a dippings sauce that is so delicious I would get the fries and sauce as a dessert. The 'nanner pudding is the best I have ever had (it beat everything I've tried in Tennessee, Texas, and elsewhere.) The saturday night prime rib made me regret that my stomach had a capacity and the fried chicken sandwich they offer at lunch was so crazily good that I had a dream about it last wednesday.

I got to talk with the manager of the restaurant and lodge (who happens to be the developer of the menu and all recipes served) for around thirty minutes after dinner the second night. I was not surprised to find out that all of the food was locally sourced and organic when possible. I could taste it, especially in the buffalo chop steak which was cooked to perfection (for those not in the know order buffalo medium rare or rare) and creamed spinach. I requested recipes but was told I would have to wait for cookbook she is writing; which I will gladly do.

The weekend was amazing and I am already lobbying my wife to let us spend our next anniversary at the Glamp Site.

Room Tip: If you are a couple stay at the Glamping Tent. It is secluded, romantic, and amazing.
2 Thank 422Cody
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

My husband and I stayed in the glamping tent for two nights to celebrate our anniversary, and it was one of the most wonderful trips we've ever had. The glamping tent is absolutely incredible. It's in a secluded location off the road set next to a pond with a small dock and some chairs. The tent itself is set on a platform with a front porch and more chairs. There is an outdoor shower in the back of the tent, perfect for showering after spending the day outdoors. The inside of the tent is complete with an amazingly comfortable king bed, a dresser, desk, two overstuffed chairs, a gas stove, and a large bathroom with a shower, separate toilet, and vanity. We were able to spend our days outdoors enjoying the local attractions and then come back to spend the evenings relaxing in luxury and sleeping soundly in our comfortable bed. In the morning, a basket of hot coffee and delicious baked goods was delivered to our tent for us to enjoy before heading out for the day.

This tent is the perfect romantic getaway. We can't wait to come back!

2 Thank Josie S
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed in the Company House with my sister, her fiancee and our two kids (ages 7 & 3). What an amazing time! The house has a ton of really cute details including games, a fire pit by the river, chickens and full kitchen. We grilled freshly caught trout and buffalo burgers and ate at the restaurant (food was really good, BTW). We just stayed in June and had the opportunity to see the meadows full of fireflies at night... something really special! The staff was really friendly and went out of the way to make sure we felt comfortable. The only drawback? Limited cell reception... which by the end of the visit didn't seem like a drawback at all! Would most definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The Company House sleeps 6 - one room w a queen and the other two have twin beds in each.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JNFM
Princeton, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

A friend recommended the Crump's Camp "glamping" experience at The Depot Lodge. It was incredible from start to finish! Set in the beautiful mountains of Monroe County, WV, the tent was perfect in every way. They truly have thought of everything! It is something you have to experience to fully appreciate. I surprised my husband with this getaway, and he was totally amazed by it. It's private & peaceful, and it has it's own pond with a deck. The decor and appointments of the tent are truly gorgeous. Spacious, comfortable & the bed is so comfy you won't want to leave! Our favorite new spot.

Room Tip: There's only one, so plan ahead!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kisti H
Springfield, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

The Depot Lodge in Paint Bank Va. is the most amazing vacation spot in Virginia! The hotel is warm, rustic and charming, the staff makes you feel right at home, as if they have known you for years! Far removed from the hustle & bustle of the city, you will find a serene setting with a river that runs behind the lodge. A wraparound porch with rockers that over look the river surrounded by mountains; swings and benches are located down near the river. Bikes for your use, games, books and homemade cookies; this place is like no other! The General Store is also a restaurant with the best food you have ever eaten! It's like stepping back in time and finding a little piece of heaven in the mountains; you will not want to leave! The drive to Paint Bank is so beautiful that when you arrive you wonder how has something like this been hidden up here and I never knew about it! I do now and we will be loyal visitors from here on out!

Room Tip: We had room 5 located on the second level with an outside entrance and a wrap around porch with 2 ro...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Hampton Inn Lewisburg
Hampton Inn Lewisburg
#1 of 7 in Lewisburg
Magnuson Hotel Mountain View

Been to The Depot Lodge? Share your experiences!