“Charming Inn”

Ranked #1 of 1 Paris B&B and Inns
Arlington, VA
“Charming Inn”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

For our anniversary, my husband and I treated ourselves to a night at the Inn and dinner at the restaurant. The Inn is located in a bucolic area of Virginia. The town of Paris is more like a neighborhood in the country, rather than a town since there are few commercial establishments, e.g., no coffee shop. Quiet and beautiful. The Inn is lovely. Our room was in the former attic and had a private bath down the hall. The bed was super comfortable and gets points for having layers of covers rather than a down comforter, which is much too hot for me. There were 2 reading chairs and good reading lights. Plus, there was a sink in the room. The only negative, and one that was important to me, was that during the night the heat seemed to switch into high gear. In response I turned the thermostat down but to no avail; it was difficult to get back to sleep at 2:00 am because of the stifling heat. The restaurant was fine but not spectacular. Expect small portions, which are all right with me. Our main dishes -- tagliatelle with pumpkin sage sauce for me and beef for my husband -- were just average. I tasted none of the sage in my dish and my husband said the beef was a bit tough. I probably wouldn't return to the Ashby Inn because it seemed expensive for the value.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Virginia
Reviewed 30 October 2013

My wife and I spent a night at the Inn to check out their restaurant before their chef (Tarver at the time) changed jobs. We booked a room on the second floor of the school house building. It was large and had a porch overlooking rolling hills. Before dinner, we took a nice walk along the quiet country roads around the Inn. The dinner was great - creative food and fine service. Breakfast the next morning was also quite good. We look forward to seeing how things have changed with their new chef. The room was fine, but there are a couple of design features we did not like. It had some high windows without curtains. You can expect an early wake up from the sun on a summer morning. The room also involved a couple of steps down from the bedroom to the area that had the bathroom. We will try a different room on our next visit.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Chevy Chase, MD
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We were fortunate to stay in the schoolhouse - large room, large bathroom, screened porch overlooking countryside. Our meal was disappointing. We thought portions small especially compared to prices. When I ordered lobster poached in butter ($38) I expected more than one small tail which was lost on my over-sized plate - and this year lobsters have been inexpensive to buy in markets! I was still hungry after eating 2 courses. The chef also has a very heavy hand with salt, ruining fresh chanterelles, and crispy potatoes.
The breakfast choices were much better than we anticipated though beware those over-salted crispy potatoes!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Elayne S
Northern Virginia
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We stayed here for one night over the weekend for my birthday. It was a nice quiet getaway from the hectic Northern Virginia/DC area. We did a hike at the nearby Sky Meadows State Park and had a quick check-in to the Ashby Inn.
We had a room on the top floor, which was ready with some nice port wine to sample and help us get settled in and relaxed. Comfortable after-shower robes available in the room, and a fantastic view of some meadows where cows were grazing. Dinner was great--we each got an appetizer and entree, and shared a dessert. Service was on point and breakfast, included in the stay, was delicious. The bed was so warm and comfortable--I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting to enjoy the bed. I have a king size tempurpedic at home and have found it hard to get comfortable sleeping anywhere else--I usually end up tossing and turning for awhile when I'm not at home. But the queen bed, pillows and blankets were all very warm and comfortable and I slept like a baby and didn't want to get up the next morning. My husband too was pleasantly surprised.
The only slightly bothersome thing was that the doors were a bit difficult to lock--my husband struggled a bit with it and I think the room across from us did too--we heard the door slam open and shut a couple times early in the stay as they too tried to get used to locking the door--such is the charm of these older houses...lots of character and quirks. As a suggestion, the library could use a larger selection of reading material. Maybe some magazines or other short stories that are suitable for folks staying only a night or 2. I saw a couple thick classic novels which I didn't bother to pick up since I knew I wasn't going to make much headway only staying one night.
I'd highly recommend this place to others, and already have to a few coworkers. Scenic hiking trails nearby, comfortable rooms, friendly staff, vineyards/wineries nearby, and delicious dinner and breakfast options. About an hour's drive from the beltway area but from how relaxing it is, you'd think you'd traveled much further away.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sweet P
Fairfax, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 5 August 2013

When I need a break from northern Virginia I head here for a fantastic French meal made from food grown and raised locally. In the spring and fall we cook up a fire in the fireplace in the room and read in the wing back chairs. We love to stay in the school house. Don't tell too many people or I won't be able to get a reservation. Service in all aspects is first class. Sweet little town. Nothing to do but be. But wineries around and hiking close if so inclined. Very romantic.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Karen J
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 29 July 2013

The inn had been recommended by a friend who had stayed there once a year for many years as an annual anniversary treat. I can see why.

The food is amazing, served in a gorgeous garden patio. Superb, discreet service, wonderful suggestions and wine pairings.

We chose the Lafayette room for its view and quiet location away from the main house, which is pretty quiet itself.

Will definitely return.

C

Room Tip: The Lafayette room has an amazing view over rolling hills and the garden of inn, which was full of b...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dublin-DC
Chevy Chase
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I was looking for a place with an intent to leave behind the stresses of work, politics, international upheaval and my kids. The Ashby Inn is the place to go. Rooms are comfortable, some without tv, though internet is available. We chose no phone, no tv, no internet. What a delight! The cuisine is beyond good. Just excellent. The drinks, the wine, the atmosphere is sublime. Service worthy of more than a 20 percent tip. The breakfasts, included, were excellent. Do this place!

Room Tip: Try the school house rooms/suites.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank neumanco
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paris
Airlie
#1 of 8 in Middleburg
Inn at Evergreen
Inn at Evergreen
#1 of 1 in Haymarket

Been to The Ashby Inn? Share your experiences!