“A Zombie Like Experience on Valentines Day”
Review of The Ashby Inn

The Ashby Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Paris B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Last Valentine's I wanted to take my girlfriend here, and it was already booked, so I scheduled in advance this year.

Be prepared for an intense experience of flavors, delightful pottery, and pleasant professional staff. The entree was certainly our favorite, I got the Parmesan encrusted loin of lamb and my date got the eye of the eye of the rib-eye. We carnivorously devoured our meats and tried each others. The flavors were intense and rich. The cuts were perfect and cooked perfectly. I felt like I was a sated zombie when I was done. The champagne put us in the mood. Then came time for desert and things took a twist. As I trustingly ordered the blue cheese infused cheese cake, my girlfriend looked at me inquisitively. I was the first evidently to order this, and thus the guinea pig. One bite sent me over the edge, and the waitresses came rushing over once they saw my black and blue cheesecake face. She immediately offered a different desert. We saw two others turn theirs in as well. The bill was steep, but priced appropriately for the fine dining.

On the ride home, my Valentine saw my face again and new I needed to vomit. She pulled over and as we left I looked back at my five star dinner all chunky and discolored in the snow.

Will we be back? Maybe when the dead rise again.

Honestly, the food was incredible and rich, they simply need to do something about that blue cheese cheese cake.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank danceprometheus

Reviewed 4 February 2014

We ate dinner this past Saturday night and throughly enjoyed the atmosphere and great food. The prices were reasonable given the quality of the dining experience, and the menu was diverse and refined. The wine list was extensive and included a range of local wines in addition to national and international selections. We plan on returning, and anyone planning a romantic dinner cannot go wrong with the Ashby Inn!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2014

This past weekend I spent at The Ashby Inn with two friends. The inn is situated in Virginia horse country and is lovely in many respects. The main house where we stayed has a library for gathering and a very special restaurant. When you stay at the inn, breakfast is included and it is wonderful. My room complete with country antiques and four poster bed was on the top floor. Very quiet with natural light. My only problem is the room was infested with "stink bugs". I was told by management that these bugs are "natural" and next to impossible to get rid of. The first few I killed myself but when I found one in my bed I asked to have the room checked. The staff seemed concerned but more bugs appeared. I'm not sure why my room was not changed since my friends who were in other parts of the inn did not have this problem. What was to be a special reunion weekend was spoiled for me by these bugs and the inn staff's lack of consideration for my well being. If you want to visit this inn be sure to request a room without bugs.

Room Tip: Do not stay in a room on the top floor. And be sure to ask for a room with no bugs.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank japple2
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We recently stayed in The New England room at The Ashby Inn. Upon entering the Inn, Silvie greeted us warmly, efficiently checked us in and brought us to our room. Note that the staircase to the second floor of the Inn, where the New England room is located, has fairly narrow steps, so physically challenged individuals may have difficulty ascending/descending. The room is quaint with a four-poster Queen bed. The bed itself sits high so be careful getting out of it-- may be a bit of a challenge for some at night-- and has an extremely firm mattress. The en-suite bath is fairly small, although adequate, and we needed to place our toiletry cases outside the bathroom due to lack of storage space. We also found that we needed to turn on the hot water faucet and let it run for several minutes before enjoying hot water. The room's old armoire was a throwback to the past and it's bath-towel filled content was most welcomed. We were a bit surprised that we found it difficult to secure the door to the room as it was warped. This may be typical for Inn's of this age. It should, nonetheless, be repaired. Although the room had no television, the Inn did offer WiFi service. This old, historical Inn is charming, situated in a picturesque location--and is a stark contrast to today's luxury hotels.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Foodie4Certain
Reviewed 14 November 2013

For our anniversary, my husband and I treated ourselves to a night at the Inn and dinner at the restaurant. The Inn is located in a bucolic area of Virginia. The town of Paris is more like a neighborhood in the country, rather than a town since there are few commercial establishments, e.g., no coffee shop. Quiet and beautiful. The Inn is lovely. Our room was in the former attic and had a private bath down the hall. The bed was super comfortable and gets points for having layers of covers rather than a down comforter, which is much too hot for me. There were 2 reading chairs and good reading lights. Plus, there was a sink in the room. The only negative, and one that was important to me, was that during the night the heat seemed to switch into high gear. In response I turned the thermostat down but to no avail; it was difficult to get back to sleep at 2:00 am because of the stifling heat. The restaurant was fine but not spectacular. Expect small portions, which are all right with me. Our main dishes -- tagliatelle with pumpkin sage sauce for me and beef for my husband -- were just average. I tasted none of the sage in my dish and my husband said the beef was a bit tough. I probably wouldn't return to the Ashby Inn because it seemed expensive for the value.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2013

My wife and I spent a night at the Inn to check out their restaurant before their chef (Tarver at the time) changed jobs. We booked a room on the second floor of the school house building. It was large and had a porch overlooking rolling hills. Before dinner, we took a nice walk along the quiet country roads around the Inn. The dinner was great - creative food and fine service. Breakfast the next morning was also quite good. We look forward to seeing how things have changed with their new chef. The room was fine, but there are a couple of design features we did not like. It had some high windows without curtains. You can expect an early wake up from the sun on a summer morning. The room also involved a couple of steps down from the bedroom to the area that had the bathroom. We will try a different room on our next visit.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We were fortunate to stay in the schoolhouse - large room, large bathroom, screened porch overlooking countryside. Our meal was disappointing. We thought portions small especially compared to prices. When I ordered lobster poached in butter ($38) I expected more than one small tail which was lost on my over-sized plate - and this year lobsters have been inexpensive to buy in markets! I was still hungry after eating 2 courses. The chef also has a very heavy hand with salt, ruining fresh chanterelles, and crispy potatoes.
The breakfast choices were much better than we anticipated though beware those over-salted crispy potatoes!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Elayne S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paris
Airlie
Goodstone Inn & Restaurant
Goodstone Inn & Restaurant
#2 of 8 in Middleburg
L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Ashby Inn? Share your experiences!