“This hostel is home to some of my fondest memories...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pearisburg
Woods Hole Hostel & Mountain Retreat
Princeton, New Jersey
“This hostel is home to some of my fondest memories...”
Reviewed 28 November 2012

This place is incredible. You'd miss out on a really lovely experience if you pass it up. Neville and Michael took me in when the weather was taking a turn for the worse. We worked out a work-for-stay, because I wanted to wait out the weather, and it couldn't have been a better experience. I had such an amazing time at this hostel, working in their garden and helping cook, but mainly sharing laughs and stories with other hikers and the owners. It felt like home, and it was really the only hostel along the AT that gave me that feeling along my thru-hike. If you aren't looking for a 5-star hotel, but rather a warm, welcoming home away from home, you must stay here. It is a very unique and lovely place, and I only hope I get the chance to return one day soon! Maybe for my honeymoon :)

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank anoushdadian

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Reviewed 28 November 2012

As an at thru hiker I stayed in the bunk house and loved my stay. I got there late in the evening after dinner, however I was served amazing leftovers until I could no longer eat. Woke up to breakfast, which was delicious, and got my plantar fascia massaged. Neville is an angel

• Stayed May 2012
Hinton, West Virginia
Reviewed 28 November 2012

We visited Woods Hole Hostel last year and found it to be a wonderful experience. The massage was very professional and relaxing. The late lunch we enjoyed was pleasantly simple and very tasty.

Michael and Neville provided a great atmosphere of rustic elegance with truly wonderful conversation.

I would (and do!) recommend Woods Hole Hostel to anyone going that way!

~Mark & Erin

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Stayed here with 6 other hikers on our AT thru hike. We all had a pretty miserable experience; we all also stayed in the bunk house. Nothing was explained, no wifi (even though it's advertised in the guide), drafty & cold sleeping area. I hit my head atleast a dozen times on the poorly designed bunk house. The chickens woke us up early in the mining and the privy was nasty to say the least. Even though we paid to stay there we were presented with a "chore jar" in the morning. It ended up being a shelter with electricity .5 off the trail that we had to pay to stay at.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Athiker22
Woods Hole H, Owner at Woods Hole Hostel & Mountain Retreat, responded to this review, 18 May 2017
HI At HIker 22,
We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay in 2012. We have made some wonderful and dramatic changes to the bunkhouse since your visit. We have tied in Real Mattresses, a cushy couch, and just a wonderful ambience. We have also removed the step where you bumped your head so many times. My grandad had a small scar on the top of his head from bumping it so many times!! :-) Alot of the renovations were thanks to the hikers that supported us, like yourself. They helped us get started at a mere $10 for the night. The current rate is $18 and this is due to the wonderful shower house that we have built and more. We hope that we have responded to your dislikes and proved that we can improve yours and everyone's experience at Woods Hole.
As for wifi, unfortunately, we are in the woods, isolated from town conveniences. We have Satelite internet, which is like having Data.. We do run out of internet. So, we are unable to open the internet up to everyone. We do have computers to loan for use as well as the option to purchase a GB of internet for $5.
Thank you and we hope that your Appalachian Trail Journey was filled with Magic and Wonder. We only regret that we could not have been part of that Magic and Wonder!!
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Be prepared when making the drive up Sugar Run Road to get to Wood's Hole. At times you feel like you are driving along some farmer's lane as you avoid washouts and large rocks (low clearance vehicles are not recommended). But once you see the hostel on the left, you have reached a little slice of heaven where the body and soul can truly relax.

I had won a night's stay as an auction item from the Buckeye Trail Association. Living in Ohio I wanted to spend two nights to make the drive worhtwhile, and I am so glad I did. I was able to convince the better half that this would be a nice getaway for us, and indeed it was! We enjoyed the quiet location, the closeness to the Appalachian Trail (make the hike from the hostel to Pearisburg along the AT, it's a great little hike), the food, the room, and the company. Neville and Michael run a great operation, and Neville especially gets everyone involved in the kitchen and around the dining room table. The meals were tasty, mostly homegrown, and filling. Our room was clean, quaint, and quiet. The dogs became our friends, and the couples massage was perfect. We are already planning another trip to Wood's Hole!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank predhead
Maryland
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Stayed for 2 nights while hiking the Appalachian Trail. Neville & Michael were tremendous hosts, the place was spotless (stayed in the main house, not the bunk house) and the meals were excellent. Really a great place to stop, and you have to try the smoothies!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank MarkhMD
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Ideal place for thru hikers on the Appalachian Trail- the hostel bunk house was clean: showers, laundry, very good breakfast, some supplies. We stayed in one of the 2 in house b n b rooms. Very nice room: country decor. shared bath + sink in room. This is a fine place to relax in the Virginia Mountains. The view from the porch is quite picturesque. Pigs, goats, chickens, cats, dogs, herb & vegetable gardens in close proximity. Walk/hike on grounds or on surrounding trails. The hosts are very community oriented, quite helpful and very clear in what they are providing. We really enjoyed our 3 nights here, feel very comfortable recommending it, but this is not the place for everyone. Please see their website and contact them if you have questions. http://www.woodsholehostel.com/

Room Tip: The hostel is for backpackers; It is not like a tourist hostel. The b n b rooms are in different b...