“New Year's Eve Package, 2013”

Mountain Lake Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pembroke
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This was our second visit to Mountain Lake Lodge. We thoroughly enjoyed our one night stay as part of the New Year's Eve Package. The room was great and the dining experience superb. The lodge combines a good mix of old lodge feel with updated amenities. The package price was very reasonable. We are looking forward to doing it again next year.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Spent New Year's Eve at the hotel. Very nice dance that night. But the food was poorly prepared, reheated, not grilled a total loss. I ate four meals there, none were acceptable. Our waitress complained about being sick (cough, cough). The fire alarm at 5 AM was a nice touch, a get out of bed early call. Eventually a guest walked down the hall with the all clear news. The place need serious management.

Room Tip: Beautiful location, come prepared to hike outdoors. Bring your own food.
5  Thank Beowulftoo
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We live a short drive from the lodge and chose to travel up for a little mountain snow, dinner, and warm cider on 12/14/13. What a way to ring in the holidays! The lodge was decked out in beautiful trees and garland, sounds of crackling wood fires, local beers in the lodge pub, and dinner was first class - presentation, taste, and service! The prices are in the $20-30 range and coffee is locally roasted in Floyd County, VA. Well worth the visit!

Room Tip: Did not stay in room.
Reviewed 9 December 2013

My family first found this place a few months ago during an Appalachian festival that was held here. We loved the way the lodge looked inside and out.It is an all stone building that was built in the 1930's. it used to be the spot where the "to do" people would spend parts or all of their summers at. The architecture style is similar to Virginia Tech ( since the stone mason was working there before he won the bid to build the hotel). This same gentleman(he was an immigrant from Spain)would later go on to help with the stone work on the Blue Ridge Parkway). I found out that the property has just undergone a multi- million dollar renovation earlier this year. Also a new management company had taken over the operation of it, and planned to be open all year round. The first time in over 70 years. Enough about that, how about our stay. We stayed in a 3 br 3 bath house named Fincastle in the Blueberry ridge area. The house was AWESOME!! huge, completely furnished unit. It included an equipped kitchen, laundry, it even had wood for the fireplace. It actually can hold three different families or groups. You can even have each of the bedroom doors keyed differently, for you own private room and bathroom. Leaving the kitchen/living area as the" common area" We ate some meals at the house, but we had to try the Stony Creek Tavern and the Harvest restaurant. The Tavern serves upscale bar food(quality food ,but not too expensive). I had a Bison burger, that was delicious!! It was so good the the second half of the burger, I took off the condiments so I could get the true flavor of the meat. I highly recommend it. Next we had dinner in the Harvest room, and were not disappointed. We had a party of four and everyone got something different. Everyone LOVED their meal !! the staff was unbelievably nice, and considerate. The last day we were there, the front desk even called our room to warn us about an upcoming ice storm and the conditions of the roads. Who does that? I have traveled A LOT, and have never had a hotel care about my families safety like that. I can't say enough about this place. It has all kids of recreation choices along with good old relaxation spot. Sit in the lodges comfortable sitting areas, having an adult beverage or a nice cool or warm drink( depending on the season). The thing that I found so unique about this location is that a family or group can come here, and basically have two vacation/getaways in one. You can have all the outdoor fun you can handle, or just relax an unwind all at the same place!!

Room Tip: Accommodations consist of rooms in the lodge, homes or cabins through out the park. Every thing we l...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank NICK B
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I've never watched Dirty Dancing, nor am I nostalgic; I simply love getting outdoors. I'd visited twice before, but only in the summer, as the lake and the elevation make this a cooler spot for hiking. I was not expecting as much visiting the weekend of November 2, but fewer people, and the opportunity to enjoy an outdoor fire as well as the huge indoor fireplace, made this an even better experience than in Summer. This time I biked the many hiking/biking trails around the property, and saw more deer than people. I used their rental bike, which was in excellent shape, and I have to give special recognition to Matt(?), who gave great guidance. I did not get to take one of their guided hikes, but for $10, I'm sure this would have been great, too.

My room clearly had a new mattress, and I slept very well. The food was excellent, as seconded, unprompted, by several other guests. I left with a sense of relaxation that I doubt I could find in most hotels or resorts. The quaint, or even outdated some might say, nature of the resort added to the experience. I intend to go back soon-- before Summer.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank edsml
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Mountain Lake is delightful and relaxing. High in the Virginia mountains, this is a place to get away from it all and just relax. There are no TVs in the hotel guest rooms (they do have them in the cabins), which I found just wonderful. The lodge is cozy and the large fire place warms up the living area. Nature is all around and there are hiking trails and other outdoor activities outside.The food is fantastic. They just brought in a new chef from St. Michael's in Maryland, and the presentation of the plates was outstanding and all the dishes were great. The menu options were really varied -- shrimp and grits, beef, homemade pot pie with a flaky crust and much more (for dinner). Don't miss the Dirty Dancing cabin and see all the movie posters and photographs of the stars when they made the movie at Mountain Lake!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Virginia1278
Reviewed 12 November 2013

After receiving a Travel Zoo deal for a one night stay here I absolutely had to go since this is where part of Dirty Dancing is filmed. I had read that the lake was mostly dried up but it was worse than I expected. But nature has a mind of its own and the owners have tried to fix it. the room was really nice. It didnt have a TV which my boyfriend and I actually liked because it made the experience more relaxing. The filming spots for the movie were easy to find. 'Baby's' cabin was the first thing I spotted. Other than the bathroom sink not draining well and the dry lake it was over all a very relaxing, cozy experience.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Crystal F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pembroke
The Inn at Virginia Tech and Skelton Conference Center
#7 of 14 in Christiansburg
Main Street Inn
Main Street Inn
#5 of 10 in Blacksburg

Been to Mountain Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!