“Authentic!”

Pocahontas Exhibition Coal Mine
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Aaron was an awesome personable guide sharing details about coal mining past and present. This was the first coal mine in the area. It's not "prettied up"; its authentic with old dusty pictures and equipment and the walking mine tour gives you the feel of the hard life of a miner. Driving through the town shows a story of a population once 5000 to now under 1000. It's worth finding!

1  Thank Karen M

Reviewed 18 July 2013

This is a must-see mine, if you are interested in coal history, and it is accessible for kids as well as adults. You can still see the incredible 10 foot wide coal seam that made world news. We were running late, and called them from another town. They actually stayed open late for us!! On the way you pass a fascinating and beautiful cemetery that was " founded" in e first major coal mine disaster... The scenery from beckley to the mine was spectacular as well. You get to walk rather than ride a trolley, and the guide let my 6 year old take home a big chunk of coal. Highly recommend for all ages!

2  Thank 4_kids_on_the_loose
Reviewed 8 July 2013

they've had a roof fall or something like that and it is currently being repaired - i hope they get this fixed and open up soon. There is a new little restaurant next door too.

2  Thank tripeeblonde
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Get experience in going down into the coal mines to see how those men felt. Dress warmly and enjoy the views.

1  Thank BlondHillbilly
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Last summer after attending my family reunion, I took my husband and children on a tour of my old stomping grounds (Bluewell, WV). Stopping at the Pocahontas Exhibition Mine was not originally on our itinerary as I had forgotten all about it. We visited the Beckley Exhibition Mine earlier in the day and were site-seeing around southern West Virginia and surrounding areas before returning to my childhood home. While driving through Bluefield, VA I remembered touring the Pocahontas Mine when I was a kid and decided to see if the site was still in business. It was late in the day by then and we arrived about 5 minutes after the last tour of the day started. Instead of turning us away the lady in the store contacted the tour guide and let her know we were on our way. The tour guide very graciously held the tour while we rushed to join and even said that she would bring us back through the beginning part of the tour we had missed after it was over. This tour and exhibit far exceeded our expectations and I can state without a doubt that given the chance to return to the "coalfields" with others unfamiliar to the coal mining history of this area, Pocahontas Exhibition Mine would be on the top of my list of sites to visit. While the Beckley mine is more of a "tourist trap", the Pocahontas mine (especially the staff) offers a sense of personability that one does not get while touring the Beckley site. I do recommend exploring both attractions as they both do a fantastic job telling the tale of coal mining history, yet if you're looking for a hands on, authentic, historical experience Pocahontas Exhibition Mine and Museum wins hands down!

5  Thank WVNative1