“Not up to Quality Inn expectations”

Relax Inn Portsmouth VA
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Portsmouth
“Not up to Quality Inn expectations”
Reviewed 3 October 2012

My husband and I were here for 8 days on business. Upon arrival we were warned by the desk clerk that several vehicles had been recently broken into (thus the office doors being locked at 8pm). Our room was decent at first sight. A little aged. There was a dead roach behind the toilet (been here 8 days and housekeeping still hasn't gotten it up). The white walls and doors are dirty and need paint or wallpaper. The headboard on one bed is falling off the wall. There were baseboard tiles by the toilet that had come loose and are just leaning against the wall. Nice tv. The ac unit's lettering rub off so I had to guess how many clicks for ac. Breakfast not until 630 am sharp. Office doors locked so early birds can't even get coffee and housekeeping has only left me some in the room twice. The one time I asked for some at the desk, the clerk rolled her eyes and said she'd bring it to my room later. The only ice machine was out of service for 2 days.
My main concern was the loose outlets. The one we tried to charge our cell phone into (behind the night stand) would make the table lamp flicker). There's also an outlet behind the micro/fridge (btw the microwave was rusted, chipped paint and no turntable) had an adapter for 6 plugs. The whole thing is looser than a first grader's front tooth...it had 2 lamps, tv, coffee maker, microwave and fridge plugged into it. I lost electricity 3 times after plugging in my phone charger on the other side of the room. Maintenance promptly came (he lives onsite) and flipped the breaker. But they acted like I was causing the problem for plugging something in!!! I would certainly think this is some kind of code violation or fire hazzard at the least. Basically this place is a dump. However my company booked and paid for it thinking Quality Inn would be of higher standards. We slept ok. The blankets and pillows were comfortable to me. But don't walk around bare foot or the carpeting will make your feet dirty!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank vivianktoler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Harrisonburg, Virginia
Reviewed 19 September 2012

I stayed at this hotel back in July for a concert. When we got there, there was plastic soap encasement's on the floor, a missing shower curtain, no comforter and our room card wouldn't work. All items we had to make several trips to front desk to retrieve. Later on, discovered urine stains on the sheets, broken art on the walls, black smudges on the comforter, electrical outlets hanging out of the wall behind the dresser, electric spark and light bulbs blew out. To make matters worse, my boyfriends socks were black after about ten minutes of shuffling around the room. When we went to leave for the concert, our door appeared to be locked but was able to be jimmied open when we shook the casing of the door. My boyfriend said he had seen things happen like that in Maryland, where specific hotels would make the door faulty so that when the tenants were gone, people would come in and take valuables. Less than a block away, a group of unfavorable people were hanging out in an abandoned parking lot sharing needles.

I paid for this room with $75 of my credit card reward points and about another $23 cash. After spending the last two months on the phone with their customer service desk about the refund due to not being able to stay in the room because the staff was too lazy to fix issues or allow us to trade rooms, They have still, to this day, only refunded me for 2/3rds of the price I paid to stay there. They believe this is sufficient. Personally, I believe when I spend money to stay somewhere, I should be able to stay there! NOT have to pack up all of my belongings before I leave, drag my luggage down outdoor stairs, load it back up into my car, and then attend a concert. Sorry, but the reason I pay money to stay out of town is so that I DON'T have to be packed into a two door vehicle with two days worth of luggage and a cooler!

I believe this hotel is total trash and as far as the customer service, they are rude and up-tight people who do not appreciate the amount of money it truly takes to be able to take a vacation nor respect the struggle I had to go through just to ensure half of my belongings didn't get stolen. I actually just got off the phone for the SIXTH time with their General Relations desk today, and after being berated and told that they would not refund the full amount (when I had been told for the past two months that the rest of my money WOULD be refunded), I believe I will NEVER stay in another hotel that Choice Hotels even owns/manages/what have you.

It's truly nice to know that I paid $97 for a room in the worst part of Portsmouth possible and I could have been staying ocean-front on Virginia Beach! Thanks a lot for advertising such a calming and enjoyable atmosphere and offering me nothing but stress and aggravation because people can't do the job they're PAID TO DO!

Room Tip: Portsmouth has since closed down many businesses over the years, unless you are staying directly in...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Monica D

Travellers are raving about these Portsmouth hotels

Gig Harbor, Washington
Reviewed 26 August 2012

To name this motel "Quality Inn" is a true oxymoron. I stayed a this property recently strictly due to its proximity to the Naval Medical Center nearby... What a big mistake. To date, I cannot fathom why the management of Choice Hotels keep this toxic dump under its franchise. From the outside, this motel was an eye sore. From the inside... There are simply not enough words in the English language to describe how disgusting this place was. The room felt damp, the dirty carpet felt damp, and there was stale smell inside the room that cannot be rid of. The wall was dity and needed a fresh layer of paint decades ago (as if that will help), not to mention that I found 2 EKG leads (which must have been left behind by patients from the Naval Hospital) on the wall inside the bathroom. The bathroom was just disgusting; not only did it smell, the lid on the reservoir tank of the toilet bounces each time the toilet is flushed. Surprisingly, there was a flat screen TV in the room, which was completely out-of-place given how lousy the room was. I was so grossed out that I slept fully clothed in my jeans and shirt that night. When I checked out the next morning, there was not even a proverbial "how was your stay?" from the management. My only advise to Choice Hotels: Treat this place as an EPA Superfund Site and blow it up!

Room Tip: Stay away! Don't stay here!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank TurboTing
San Diego, California
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Don't stay here! First room I was in smelled like straight up cat pee and cigarettes. Lady at the desk was nice enough to allow us to move to another room, that one was a bit better (didn't smell like cat pee or stale cigarettes). But within minutes of walking on that carpet in a brand new pair of white socks, they were disgusting from the dirty carpet. The place is a run down motel, I've stayed in Econo Lodges that were cleaner and safer (not saying a lot right?). Did not feel safe in the least bit. If there was somewhere else I could have gone, I would have. Don't stay there if you have a choice. Horrible location, unsafe, and DIRTY! ICK!!!

Room Tip: Don't even stay here!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Rocky230
Roanoke, VA
Reviewed 28 July 2012

This hotel is nasty, roach-infested, and very smelly! There were cigarette burns and stains in the blanket and after walking on the floor, your foot leaves a black footprint on the bathroom floor towel! It didn't come close to what was advertised on the hotel's website. They tell you that you can't cancel reservations once you book them, and this is probably why! They wouldn't have any business. We are calling the health department on this place, that's how nasty it is. Do NOT stay here!

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank mysticdy
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 1 November 2011

This place was substandard. All of their rooms were damp because they had just shampooed the carpets, but the manager didn't bother telling me this until after I secured the room. I woke up multiple times that night to the sound of big trucks outside. It was a terrible experience because I had to wake up the next morning to attend a job interview.

The only good thing I could say is that the room had a nice flat screen tv.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Reko G
Aberdeen, Maryland
Reviewed 4 September 2011

The place is run down. The inside of the door to our room was dirty. The air vent was dirty. The outside of the microwave was dirty. The television screen was filled with smudges. The bathroom was tiny, dark and dreary. The breakfast area was not clean. The staff was subpar and detached.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Marie D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Comfort Inn Olde Town
Comfort Inn Olde Town
#3 of 5 in Portsmouth
Super Value Inn Ports Mouth/Olde Town Area
Riverwalk Inn & Suites Portsmouth
Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel
Norfolk Waterside Marriott
Courtyard Norfolk Downtown

Been to Relax Inn Portsmouth VA? Share your experiences!