“Don't Stay Here!!!”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Portsmouth
Corning, New York
“Don't Stay Here!!!”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

My wife & I unfortunately stayed at this miserable place on Nov. 1. 1st there was no ice, the manager said it had broken down that day(Why wasn't it fixed or being fixed, but I suspect it'd been down for some time); Why didn't the manager(who is Indian BTW) get a cooler and fill it with ice and give to those that wanted it. Then there was no Hot water in the morning, we told them and he responded by saying that he'd asked another person in another room and theirs was ok. So, essentially he called me a Liar! In fact his attitude was condescending. Also, there was no TP center bar & the WiFi wasn't working. Then he mentioned that it was no longer a Quality Inn. Hmm Obviously... But was sold to Econo Lodge and was waiting for remodeling. So, that confirmed my suspicion that the ice machine had been broke for some time. Now, I have to ask you. Why would your business subject your customers to a subpar Econo Lodge instead of closing it until the remodel was done?!? I paid $74 to say at this POS. REFUND ME!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank MyronJames

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Reviewed 4 July 2013

The management tries very hard to make the best of a dated property. I was concerned but our stay was very uneventful. Decent room clean sheets, good breakfast room. You can spend more to stay elsewhere but if you can put aside the fact that it is dated but want a clean pool, well lit parking and a cost far less than others this is an OK place. Portsmouth waterfront is great many museums and beautiful historic homes. Great place to visit, great food as well.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank townmanager
State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I was on vacation with my wife and 2 boys (ages 7 and 5) when we checked in Friday night, June 28, 2013.

1) Upon check-in, I was given 2 key cards that didn’t work. After walking back to the front office, I was given 2 more key cards that didn’t work. After walking back to the office again, the female employee (who was nice) escorted me back to the room to try the cards for herself. They didn’t work. She called a maintenance guy who was able to open the lock with a metal (master) key. After he opened the door and he started to walk away, I asked him how I was supposed to get in and out of the room for the next 12-16 hours. So he handed me his master keys. More on that in a moment.

2) Not long after entering the room, my 5 year old says: “I seem some dead bugs on the floor.” I thought he was just being imaginative. More on that in a moment.

3) Not long after bringing all of our items in from the car, there was a mild odor of mold. Not overwhelming. But noticeable.

4) I tried using the Wi-Fi to find a nearby restaurant but it would work for 1 minute then not work for 5. It was unreliable at best.

5) Later that evening, after returning from dinner, I noticed some parts of the carpet were moist. Not wet, just moist. Since it was raining that night, I considered the possibility that my family and I had tracked in some water with our shoes. More on that in a moment.

6) Remember those master keys I received? After everyone had fallen asleep, the front office called the room at 11:15 p.m. to say: “We need those keys back.” They didn’t specify whether they were coming to the room or expecting us to deliver them. After a few minutes, someone knocked on the door and retrieved the keys. We were then left without any way of getting back into the room the next morning should we leave for breakfast.

7) That night, I slept about 5 hours due to the annoyance of the experience and poor quality of the Quality Inn room.

8) The next morning, as I walked to the bathroom, I noticed that the carpet was still moist. Not wet, just moist. Clearly, that couldn’t have been from my family tracking in rain on our shoes the previous evening.

9) As I showered in the stained bathtub, I noticed a big brown spot on the wall, about the size of an aspirin bottle, on the outside of the shower. Because I didn’t have my contacts in, I couldn’t tell what it was. It wasn’t moving, so I thought/ hoped for the best. When I got out of the shower and got a better look, it was a cockroach.

Or to quote my 7 year old, “That’s the biggest bug I’ve ever seen.”

I went back to the area where my younger son saw his dead bugs, and immediately noticed the dead roach, laying on its back with legs up in the air.

10) As my wife packed our stuff to make a getaway at 7:30 a.m., I went to the office and spoke to the on-site manager, Joy (a guy). I shared all of this information with Joy, who seemed genuinely embarrassed. He did try to explain to me that I wasn’t looking at roaches, merely “water bugs,” as if that was a more reasonable explanation. I told him I grew up in Florida and knew roaches when I saw them.

I told him I didn’t want to pay for this lack-of-quality experience. He asked me to write down my list of grievances, he would share them with the owner and call me by 2 p.m. Saturday to let me know of the resolution. I still haven’t heard from him.

For my trouble, I was billed $81.31.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Dave A

Travellers are raving about these Portsmouth hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 30 June 2013

As soon as we pulled into the lot of the outdated hotel we wanted to do a 360 out of there, the ONLY thing that kept us there was it was to late to cancel. The reception clerk was very nice and polite and told us that if she didn't work there she would stay there (RIGHT) I asked if the room was nice and she said alot of corporate people stay at this location. After hearing that we decided that maybe we shouldn't judge the outside appearance, BOY was I wrong, where should I start. 1. The remote control was missing the the part which holds the batteries in, SO we caught hell everytime we wanted to change the tv channel. 2. Toliet paper was being held in the socket with a rubberband. 3. The shower curtain was soiled. 3. Dusty Old and outdated furniture, carpets, curtains, the floor lamp had alot of rust at the bottom. 4. Dead spiders. It is a good/cheap value if the only thing you want the room for is to sleep but don't expect the Choice Hotel standard that you are used to. Good points: close to old town Portsmouth and decent breakfast served.

Room Tip: stay away from room 112
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LizJ1960
Greenback, Tennessee
Reviewed 13 April 2013

We had a feeling this was going to be a bad experience as soon as we pulled into the parking lot. Bad is understating the truth of it. We couldn't cancel when we saw it because they require 24 hours cancellation notice. The TV remote didn't work, the toilet paper roller was broken & sitting inside the toilet paper so they knew it and those little soap bars in the packet? Ours had water inside the packet & the soap was slimy & melted.. This was a very old room & I would have to really stretch the truth to say it was livable. But we stayed. The bed was ok I guess.

The door was locked when we went to breakfast the next morning. When we got in, there was nothing hot... including the hot water in the pot. It wasn't even warm. When we complained about it, the guy went & filled it with hot tap water. We had few breakfast options... 2 pieces of bread, 2 bagels & a few danish that were not wrapped. Juice machine was broken & had been for a while if the sign was any indication. As I was eating the danish, the biggest cockroach I ever saw crawled across the floor in the dining area. The desk clerk kicked at it as he walked through & it hit the wall but next thing I knew it was crawling up the wall...

We wasted no time getting out of there! I would not suggest this hotel to my worst enemy! And Choice hotels won't check this place out. We complained & they gave us some points & called it good! We always stay at Choice Hotels & usually have very good luck but this one was atrocious!

Room Tip: Get one someplace else!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MJ D
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 4 January 2013

Needed a place to stay close to the beach, but didn't want to spend an arm and a leg. The property was located close enough to the beach and walking distance from Old Town Portsmouth, which is a fun little area with a bunch of restaurants, bars, and its waterfront. Pretty good deal for the location, in my opinion. Good breakfast too; waffles, bagels, danishes, a bunch of breakfast drinks.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jon W
Reviewed 3 October 2012

My husband and I were here for 8 days on business. Upon arrival we were warned by the desk clerk that several vehicles had been recently broken into (thus the office doors being locked at 8pm). Our room was decent at first sight. A little aged. There was a dead roach behind the toilet (been here 8 days and housekeeping still hasn't gotten it up). The white walls and doors are dirty and need paint or wallpaper. The headboard on one bed is falling off the wall. There were baseboard tiles by the toilet that had come loose and are just leaning against the wall. Nice tv. The ac unit's lettering rub off so I had to guess how many clicks for ac. Breakfast not until 630 am sharp. Office doors locked so early birds can't even get coffee and housekeeping has only left me some in the room twice. The one time I asked for some at the desk, the clerk rolled her eyes and said she'd bring it to my room later. The only ice machine was out of service for 2 days.
My main concern was the loose outlets. The one we tried to charge our cell phone into (behind the night stand) would make the table lamp flicker). There's also an outlet behind the micro/fridge (btw the microwave was rusted, chipped paint and no turntable) had an adapter for 6 plugs. The whole thing is looser than a first grader's front tooth...it had 2 lamps, tv, coffee maker, microwave and fridge plugged into it. I lost electricity 3 times after plugging in my phone charger on the other side of the room. Maintenance promptly came (he lives onsite) and flipped the breaker. But they acted like I was causing the problem for plugging something in!!! I would certainly think this is some kind of code violation or fire hazzard at the least. Basically this place is a dump. However my company booked and paid for it thinking Quality Inn would be of higher standards. We slept ok. The blankets and pillows were comfortable to me. But don't walk around bare foot or the carpeting will make your feet dirty!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank vivianktoler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Super Value Inn Ports Mouth/Olde Town Area
Comfort Inn Olde Town
Comfort Inn Olde Town
#3 of 5 in Portsmouth
Riverwalk Inn & Suites Portsmouth
Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel
Courtyard Norfolk Downtown
Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel

Been to Relax Inn Portsmouth VA? Share your experiences!